Trail cam catches dogs killing a doe

We all know it happens. Probably all of us have had to deal with dogs running through our hunting area. This is the first time I have actually seen proof of a pet dog taking down a deer. It is obvious it is a pet because you can see its collar in the pics. Wild, feral dogs are one thing. I am not sure how I would handle a neighbors pet if I caught it doing this.

Mike Hanback: Trail-Cam: Rogue Dogs Attack, Kill Deer!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GT_Rat

Just doing what dogs do, IMO. Much as we like to think domesticated Fido isn't like wild Fido they all have the same instincts.

Edited by GT_Rat
can't spell.
Just how the food chain works. I see no reason to be mad about it.

Really? I am going to assume you do not hunt a lot. A lot of hard work goes into getting your area ready to hunt. Months of hard work can be ruined by a thoughtless neighbor letting his dogs run wild. It can make a hunter pretty mad when he or she sees his hard earned money and work go out the window because of dogs running through the area.

I do not blame the dog. They are doing what dogs do. I do blame the people who do not keep control of their dogs. People seem to forget that their actions effect more than just themselves.

Does anyone know how to spell "missing" dog? I have dogs too, I love them, but they are kenneled ect., ect.. I've had to deal with this kind of thing before. I had a dog one time that would not let me get out of my tree stand. It was a feral dog (I think). Well anyways.....I let fido play fetch with a 150 grain soft nose .308.....well never mind.

Guest GunTroll

Do you think they ate it or sport killed it? Cattle ranchers near me say they have dog problems or did, I should say, and they were killing calves for sport and not eating anything of it. I wonder if that happens with deer? Probably a little of both.

I know this guy that was in his stand deer hunting, when a coonhound ran a deer past his stand. He shot and killed the dog. Was still sitting in his stand when the owners found the dog. After almost getting the whoop'n of his life, Nick had to pay $1200.00 for the dog, $1,000.00 in punitive damages, Lawyer fees (his and the other guys) plus court cost. On the criminal charge (unlawful killing of a domestic animal) court cost and 250.00 fine. You have to think, is all that worth it for a deer?

Really? I am going to assume you do not hunt a lot. A lot of hard work goes into getting your area ready to hunt. Months of hard work can be ruined by a thoughtless neighbor letting his dogs run wild. It can make a hunter pretty mad when he or she sees his hard earned money and work go out the window because of dogs running through the area.

Actually I hunt quite a bit and have seen a dog carrying a deer leg while I was sitting in one of my tree stands. With the deer numbers TN has it is not like dogs are going to decimate the deer population on your property.

I shot a lot of dogs when I lived in SC. They would chase deer through our lease. Sometimes in packs and sometimes alone. I had a pack corner me when I was bow hunting. Luckily I carried a pistol. From then on if a dog was seen on the property it was shot.

Guest GunTroll

SC is the worst! Dang hunters turn em out to run deer which is legal down there or at least where I grew up it was. POS hunters. They wouldn't even try to claim their stinking dog back when I would leash and water them and then tie them up at the head of the road to our farm. If they saw me with their dog I would wave to signal while they were waving those radio dish looking things and then they would get out of there ASAP as if I was gonna shoot them. Horrible down there.

If ya can't keep yer dogs from chasing deer..... then SSS!! Really it's just too easy to brake any dog from chasing deer. I used to "teach" my bird-dogs... simple, get a 55gal. drum, put deer hide in , then dog, then put on lid, beat the crap out of the side of the drum with a hoe-handle for 10 to 15 min. when ya let that dog out.... he'll never even think of look'n at a deer, in fact when he get's deer scent, he'll head for the hills !!!! haha, It works !!!!

I don't usually shoot a dog just for being in the deer woods, even if I witness it chasing a deer. I don't mind shooting stray/feral dogs. I have before and I would again. But I don't want to shoot someones pet unless it is trying to attack me. I grew up in the country where everyone's dog ran the countryside. It's frustrating when a dog messes up a hunt, but that is far from "punishable by death" if you ask me. If my dog gets away from me while blood trailing and a deer hunter on neighboring property were to shoot her, I would be more than a little upset.

If I were to find the OP pictures on my trail cam, I would invest more time trying to find the owners and ask them to keep their dogs under control since we know they are out killing deer. But the reality of the situation is that the deer they caught was most likely injured or sick. A healthy deer doesn't often fall prey to two pet dogs. I don't believe we have a domestic dog epidemic in the deer woods.

Actually I hunt quite a bit and have seen a dog carrying a deer leg while I was sitting in one of my tree stands. With the deer numbers TN has it is not like dogs are going to decimate the deer population on your property.

I understand what you are saying. I am not worrying about the population getting decimated. I am more worried about deer patterns getting changed. A lot of hard work goes in to attracting and holding deer on your property. If the deer are constantly being harassed by neighbors dogs, they are going to change their patterns. That is what really bothers me.

My dog loves to chase deer, but she's never actually caught one. Even if she did catch one, I doubt she'd know what to do with it. She's had several interesting adventures while in chase. The fastest I've ever seen her run was chasing down a nice sized doe across a 5 acre mowed field. She got to within about 20 ft of it, but the deer jumped a fence at the edge of the property and disappeared into shoulder high grass.

I feel sure that these dogs are what I'd consider "semi-wild" in that while they may have collars, they're certainly not house pets. We had an unpleasant encounter with some when I was a kid at a Christmas tree farm. We were picking out a tree and several "farm dogs" got after someone else's pet. We snatched up our dog and jumped in the bed of the truck. I recall several men (Dad included) running around with shovels and axes trying to fend them off. The pet they were after ended up hiding out under our truck. A couple got whacked with shovels while trying to get it and finally ran off. An exciting few moments for sure. We got our Christmas tree somewhere else the next year.

If one was causing problems on my property, I'd dispatch it. Out hunting somewhere that's not my land...? I guess I'd watch the show.

Peejman, better hope your dog don't get caught after deer on someone else's land, ANY dog caught chasing deer on MY land....SSS! That's just the way it is !!!!

Guest GunTroll

Didn't you get tree'd up by some dogs and then dispatched it/them and get fined yourself WD? I seem to rememeber you saying that once.

Tough call and their are many variables. On public land they will live. Deep within my private land, not so much. Near the border, the owner and I are talking.

That was a different time. But yes, we were attacked on the edge of a county road. We didn't get fined, because the other guy backed down because our lawyer supeoned his vet records to actualy verify that the dogs were his and that they were up on their shots. My son took a doe, and thats what got the dogs after us to begin with.