glock 27 or ruger sp101

bayouvol

Trying to talk myself out of trading my glock for a ruger sp101. I don't frequent places of ill repute so I don't need 19 rounds. I ride horses alot so I could carry snakeshot plus 38's or 357. Heavy trigger pull would keep me from accidently hitting the horse.

Down side is that it is still only 5 rounds. Can't miss much and which would have more effect on the four legged animals that I may cross.

Also, has anyone shot the lcr in 357? Is it really too much to handle? lightweight and snub seems to lend itself to MUCH recoil. Wonder if they will make one with a three inch barrel?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to talk myself out of trading my glock for a ruger sp101. I don't frequent places of ill repute so I don't need 19 rounds.

What the hey kind of hog leg mag you carry that allows 19 rounds in a G 27?

Down side is that it is still only 5 rounds.

That's why I don't carry my SP101. I don't regularly frequent much of anywhere, ill repute or otherwise, but I walk the streets of Knoxville a lot, and perceive that my threat will likely be in multiple humanoids. Yeah, "they" say everyone will scatter upon the first shot. Or not.

Also, has anyone shot the lcr in 357?

It's not painful, but still rather "violent". Much tamer than a Smith unobtanium alloy, but accurate follow up shots still ain't quick at all. Certainly roughly double the perceived recoil of the SP101. I did manage to tear a fingernail down to the quick somehow the only time I shot the LCR in .357.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I have two mags so that's where I get 19 rounds. I live near you and shoot at Farnsworth in Vonore alot. No one there has the lcr. I don't know if the glock would cycle the snakeshot. I don't want to carry it as the first round if it will not cycle. What length barrel do you have on your sp101?

I have two mags so that's where I get 19 rounds. I live near you and shoot at Farnsworth in Vonore alot. No one there has the lcr. I don't know if the glock would cycle the snakeshot. I don't want to carry it as the first round if it will not cycle. What length barrel do you have on your sp101?

2 1/4", DAO.

Snakeshot, in any handgun caliber, is generally much overrated IMHO. Maybe a snake from horseback, maybe not even. One of the .410 shooters certainly better for that.

- OS

Guest gw2and4
I don't know if the glock would cycle the snakeshot. I don't want to carry it as the first round if it will not cycle.

Never tried it in my 27, but my 23 had some issues with .40SW CCI shotshells being what I'd call reliable. The 9mm shotshells ran fine in the 19, but for some reason I couldn't get the primers to reliably ignite in the .40SW in my 23. When they did fire, they cycled the weapon just fine for what it's worth. Never had a single problem with 9mm or .38 shotshells from CCI. Not sure what the issue was with the .40SW version.

It's not painful, but still rather "violent". Much tamer than a Smith unobtanium alloy, but accurate follow up shots still ain't quick at all. Certainly roughly double the perceived recoil of the SP101. I did manage to tear a fingernail down to the quick somehow the only time I shot the LCR in .357.

- OS

maybe I'm just crazy but I thought your SP101 had much more recoil than the LCR .357 we shot at Norris. I was surprised that the LCR didn't kick more honestly.

maybe I'm just crazy but I thought your SP101 had much more recoil than the LCR .357 we shot at Norris....

Well, since you mentioned it first... ;)

Seriously, though, I honestly don't remember shooting the SP that session, only the LCR, was just judging on general impression of my having shot the SP so much.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Also, has anyone shot the lcr in 357? Is it really too much to handle? lightweight and snub seems to lend itself to MUCH recoil. Wonder if they will make one with a three inch barrel?

You didn't say how you are carrying, IWB, OWB. ETC. SP101 comes in a 3" barrel Ruger® SP101® Double-Action Revolver Models

I still carry my SP101 sometimes but started carrying a KAHR PM9 as primary carry because of 5 shot reason, easier to reload, lighter. If you wanted a larger revolver in 357 look at S&W 619, 620.

Edited by greenego

Since I just traded for an LCR 357, I'll weigh in:

I fired a total of 50 rounds, 35 .38's and 15 .357's.

I shot to point of aim with the .38's at 7 yds, bullseye to 8 ring on a TGO target. Excellent compared to my old S&W Model 36, whose sight picture is still a complete mystery. With the .357's I was fortunate to (mostly) stay on paper.

I also tried 3 different brands .357. First, 5 rounds of 125 grain PMC, brass case. Cases stuck, so hard that it took several raps on the extractor rod, just to get the cases out far enough to extract by hand. Next up was Fiocchi 158 grain XTP, nickel case. They stuck too, but not quite as bad. Recoil on these was pretty sharp. Last, Speer's 135 grain Gold Dot, nickel - a little milder, cases still tight but extracted cleanly.

I can't really blame the stuck cases on the .38's 'ring' as I only fired 5 rounds before proceeding to the .357's

I really like the LCR, but I'll carry it with .38's for now.

Have you looked at the GP100? May be a better choice in the horseback riding scenario. I love my SP, second most favorite handgun in my small arsenal.

You might also want to look at the Ruger "Sixes" (Security / Service / Speed) which were the predecessors to the SP / GP. I have heard they have better factory triggers than the SP / GP.

I had an LCR in .38 and it wasn't particularly fun to shoot and wouldn't consider it or most snubbies, including the SP, as a "trail gun"

I have stayed away from the six series because of weight. They are still heavier than the 101 and I will be carrying most of the time. I don't mind the Glock and the sp101 is really not any heavier. I actually think the revolver will conceal better because of the rounded grip.

Never tried it in my 27, but my 23 had some issues with .40SW CCI shotshells being what I'd call reliable. The 9mm shotshells ran fine in the 19, but for some reason I couldn't get the primers to reliably ignite in the .40SW in my 23. When they did fire, they cycled the weapon just fine for what it's worth. Never had a single problem with 9mm or .38 shotshells from CCI. Not sure what the issue was with the .40SW version.

I like my G27 and it gets carried often. I haven't tried shotshells in it however.

I carry the SP101 every day. I don't worry too much over capacity because I work here at home. After my first shot I am retreating anyway.....and it won't be to another pistol. However, even when I do carry the SP101 out in the zombie infested real world, the wife is armed and I ain't far from better options.

I have two mags so that's where I get 19 rounds.

What...no speedloader or speed strips for the SP101? To be fair you would compare 19 vs 10 if you want to count the one reload for the Glock. While it may be slower on the SP it's still a reload.

What...no speedloader or speed strips for the SP101? To be fair you would compare 19 vs 10 if you want to count the one reload for the Glock. While it may be slower on the SP it's still a reload.

I have a speed loader I carry with my SP, but that's one place the SP is lacking. It's such a tight area, it can be difficult to use.

You get one thing with the SP though; When you touch that thing off in a small room (I like Hornady 140gFTX Leverevolution) everyone will think the hand of GOD has descended upon them.:rolleyes:

With the exception of .30 tokarev and 7,63 Mauser, I don't think I have ever heard a louder pistol.

Guest msparks

I've got both (well a G26, close enough). I find myself carrying the glock more. It's lighter and is easier for me to conceal. (in my carry method.)

In my mind there isn't much better than a 3" wheel gun for woods carry though, plus you have a lot of options, .38 or +p or full power .357's.

If you are looking at the SP, why no look at the 3" Gp100? That's another great gun, that I don't own but would like to someday.