need some help new guy here

Guest jtrippen

Guest jtrippen

hey guys ,

new to the site can anyone help me here i got a mak 90 and im wanting to take the dust cover off and tap it and put a weaver rail on it can i do that it is tight with no wiggle to he dust cover at all has anyone ever tryed this if i had the cash i would just buy one with the mount on it but with family life my toys get to be last on list lol

Edited by jtrippen
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jtrippen

yea i bet a person could just make something to work for it but lol if i had the tools i can make anything just about

wouldn't be hard to do just need stuff to do it . i have a bunch of ideas just nothing to do it with haha

It can be done, but you might as well shoot with your eyes closed. It will move all over the place no matter how tight your cover is to begin with. The ONLY dust cover type rail to use is the TWS rail. It is awesome, solid, repeatable zero, and has the lowest rail you can get. Add to it the peep sight and you now have a usable rifle sighting radius, instead of the pistol radius of the standard AK.

Texas Weapon Systems AK47 solutions

One of the two ways I would consider is a side mount, if you have one. The other would be the mount that replaces the rear sight.

Here is the sight mount:

Samson AK-47 Rear Sight Rail : Samson Manufacturing

It would make it hard to mount anything other than a red dot, pistol scope or a long eye relief scope. Any of which would wring out the accuracy of an AK.

They do make some covers that can be teightened down using set screws and such but every time you take it apart to clean it the zero is going to shift. ALso, they are not even close to being cheap because the only ones I have seen have been milled covers. With the side mount or the sight mount you will not have that problem.

If you are only looking to mount a red dot you might be able to get a railed top handguard that works well enough for a red dot. Those can be had for a lot less money than either a quality side mount or the sight mount.

Dolomite