Home Defense Lever Action!

Smith

Got a good deal on a Puma (Rossi) 92 SRS after it came in the shop on a trade. Finally got to shoot it today and WOW is it fun. Shot all the .38 and .357 I had brought with me without a hitch. Well, the Blazer .38 aluminum case had some ejection issues, but the brass stuff was much better. I will say it was also much smoother with the brass cased ammo than the Blazer aluminum cased ammo. The original owner reportedly didn't shoot it much and from the internals it hasn't been run much, so I expect it smooth out even more. I've already found some great info on how to further smooth the action and trigger and that will be the next project. It was more accurate than I am and it will now be my home defense gun. Simple, easy to shoot, easy to handle, lightweight, compact, fast, and in .357 mag out of a 16" barrel it's got more than enough punch. Can't wait to shoot it again!

BTW - anyone know what the difference is between the SRS and the SRC models. This one does not have the bolt safety, and was an Interarms import made by Rossi for Puma? Blue book prices vary greatly between them.

GEDC0240.jpg

GEDC0239.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" and it now will be my home defense gun." :tinfoil: That's just not right, buddy. You'll be drummed out of the Hipower Fan Club ( the gun, that is, not my fan club; mine doesn't have many members), for comments like that. :D

I should have said, "home defense rifle!"

... Well, the Blazer .38 aluminum case had some ejection issues, but the brass stuff was much better....

Was just commenting in another thread how the aluminum case stuff is harder to get out of chamber in all my .357 guns, a SP101, Blackhawk, and Marlin lever. I'd say you just need to be good and aggressive with the lever. It's never good to baby it with any ammo, actually. I can make my Marlin feel sort of on the verge of hanging any time I gentle the action, but a good firm cycle always feels smoother.

Great rifle there.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

The side-feed is neat on that gun, compared to tube-feed. Dunno if it makes a practical difference.

Is that one a hex-barrel or round-barrel?

Was just commenting in another thread how the aluminum case stuff is harder to get out of chamber in all my .357 guns, a SP101, Blackhawk, and Marlin lever. I'd say you just need to be good and aggressive with the lever. It's never good to baby it with any ammo, actually. I can make my Marlin feel sort of on the verge of hanging any time I gentle the action, but a good firm cycle always feels smoother.

Great rifle there.

- OS

That was the key. The aluminum case did need a little more oomph or it wouldn't throw it out like it should. It wouldn't hang it just wouldn't throw it out of the action. The brass case worked either way.

The side-feed is neat on that gun, compared to tube-feed. Dunno if it makes a practical difference.

Is that one a hex-barrel or round-barrel?

Round barrel. The 16" only come with round barrels.

Side feed would be a lot quicker to reload, or top off a partial magazine than a tube feed.

Yep, as far as "tactical" just like pump/semi shotgun, you load in between shots but still always ready to fire, hammer remains cocked with one in chamber, load while still pointed on target. Tube fed, you have to pretty much take the gun out of action while reloading.

- OS

May not be able to spray 'em out like an AK or AR, but I tell you, a lever gun and a few boxes of ammo tucked away in the truck will get you a lot less grief in a traffic stop than an AR15. A lever gun in 45LC (and .357 mag) would put a devastating whallop on a fella too up close.

It would also be harder for the media to demonize an old Winchester than it would be if you used a more "modern" rifle.

Nothing wrong with a lever gun as an HD rifle. While my Marlin 1894C wouldn't be my first choice, it would serve me well if needed. .357 gains a lot of velocity from the longer barrel, and a good piece of wood and steel like that makes for a dandy club when you run out of ammo.