Mil Spec 1911A1 vs Glock .45

graycrait

I've shot a lot of 1911s and owned 10 or 12. I've shot a lot of Glocks, owned around 20. I've owned 1911s in .38 Super, 9mm and .45ACP. I've owned Glocks in 9mm and .45 ACP and shot Glocks in .40S&W. I may have shot a Glock or two in .357Sig and .45GAP but don't recall those.

With all the hulla ba loo over which is best, and the endless back biting between advocates of both camps I don't see why the 1911 adherents just don't acknowldge the 1911 is a nice shooting platform but has been overcome by requirements, innovation and technology. Granted, a decently tuned and maintained 1911 is an effective self defense weapon if used by an experienced 1911 shooter.

I understand that a handfitted Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, or whoever custom maker 1911 is a nice shooting gun. Heck, I also understand that a Sig P210, Sig X-Five or Sphinx are nice 9mms for the money too. Just because - I carry a very nice older S&W Mdl 10 one day a week, but am darn sure that I have a polymer NY reload in my left pocket when I carry that 6-shot wheelgun.

Recnetly I gave up my last 1911 for a Glock 36. I occasionally like to shoot .45ACP and if I shoot it or carry a .45ACP launcher I want combat reliability, the Glock 36 gives me that confidence without caring about if my gun gets scratched or if I have to toss my gun across a parking lot to my partner and then wondering if it will work once it skitters across the asphalt to my friend. I know a Glock will work in that scenario, not so much the 1911 or the S&W Mdl 10.

If I had a climate controlled storage vault or shot with a rubber mat at my feet using a $300.00 holster and gloves, then a nice 1911 might seem "useful." However, I drive a 12 yr old car, live off a meager pension, show up at the range with a burlap bag of guns, and shoot like my life depends on it. That makes me a Glockster.

My "1911":

8plus145ACP29ozsinglestackGlock36.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap: Excellent post. Truth all the way, and I'm not a Glock man. I'm in the XD camp. I seriously want a Glock, but I have erred on the side of caution when it comes to cast bullets. I know people who shoot them in a Glock but I will still not take the chance. One day I will likely find myself buying a Glock and Lone wolf barrel, till then, the XD and the Glock are basically equals I think. Both superior in many ways to other designs.;)

Well said...My family's life can depend on my Glock and I know it will always go bang. 1911s are super nice and I might would get one for show and tell. I went from a Jennings 9mm to a Glock 23 and have never wanted another gun again, love at first sight!

I think I can agree with you that the 1911 platform has been overcome by some requirements of different agencies, LEO or military units. It's also true that many of them still choose the 1911 platform. I own and carry a 1911. I also own and sometimes carry a XDsc. I prefer the XD over the grip angle of the Glock (I aim very high with Glocks). I've owned a Glock 36 and it's a fine, dependable firearm. I'd kinda like mine back from the LEO friend I sold it to years ago before I had a good foundation of knowledge to make such decisions.

I think on the issues of the 1911 platform being overtaken by innovation and technology, ...that totally depends on what one considers to be the standards that need to be met. In other words, I believe on those two issues, it's subjective. I know plenty of people who reject polymer guns in general because they will melt in a house fire. Though it's statistically unlikely to happen to you, if it does, you'll lose your investment in your handguns whereas if they were steel, you wouldn't. At least, I've heard some folks say that.

I think a lot of us 1911 owners grew up with and are accustomed to firearms with manual safeties and also find that the 1911 fits our hands better than anything else. Add to that the best trigger a handgun can have, a dash of Americana, the ability to customize and the joy of shooting the platform and you have a very attractive recipe. The 1911 is actually making more converts in competition shooting according to what I read (not necessarily small local matches, but the big time players).

The truth is, for me, I love the 1911 in all respects. I also love my XD and I will never try to steer someone away from Glocks because they are fantastic weapons. It sounds like for you, the issue has come down to budget, practicality and utility. Many 1911 fanatics still carry Glocks or XDs for self defense. I know there are 1911 fanatics who hate the Glock's looks and the idea of plastic guns. But for the most part, I don't think 1911 'adherents' as you put it, by and large dismiss the advances of the firearm world by the creation of the Glock type pistols. Most I know would agree with you, at least in part.

I frequently find myself torn between carrying my 1911 and my XD because I truly love them both equally. I generally end up carrying the 1911 all the time because I don't have the holster I really need for the XD yet, but it's in the future plans. Having carried both of them IWB, I will say that there is a noticeable difference in the comfort of carry IWB between a Glock/XD and a 1911. The 1911 just takes up less real estate in the waist band, and for me it's noticeable. But, I've since moved to OWB carry almost all the time.

I personally would not hesitate to slide my 1911 across the parking lot to my wife in the event it was necessary. And, I have no fears that it would damage the functionality of the gun.

Edited by tt0511

Not to put too big an "attaboy" on graycrait's comments, but, in gereral, I'd have to say I'm 80% in agreement with him.

For carry, I still feel more comfortable with a variety of autoloaders and revolvers. I believe each has a place and a purpose where it is best suited.

I came to the 1911 later in my gun like, really only about 5 years ago. I really, really like them; but in all honesty, they will never be more than one of several house guns and beloved range toys for me. Not downing the gun, caliber, or platform. I think they're great. In fact I have several, and am looking at adding another.

But considering my age, shooting style and ability, general body shape...I usually have a pocket pistol and either a G30, Rami 2075, or PT145 as carry weapons. Perhaps not what everyone would choose, but they work for me. And I'm pretty confident and competent with them. I'll never be a champion shooter, but they satisfiy my needs. Not necessarily all my desires...but good defensive weapons nonetheless.

And not that I consider the 1911 design dated or outclassed by 99% of handguns; It's just what I've shot and carried for most of my armed life.

I am also new to the 1911 world, one year anniversary next month with my Metro Arms AC Commander. I really like my 1911 but LOVE my CZ75B Omega (and SP101). Like HiPower, my 1911 is a range toy and house gun. My diehard 1911 buddy just "upgraded" to a pair a of M&Ps in .45...

Guest Eagle One

Great Thread. I have several guns and I like them all. I have a S&W M&P9C I carry much of the time, I have a Ruger SP101 that I carry some times, I have a S&W model 60 that I carry some of the time and I recently bought a Kimber Ultra Covert II and I am planning on carrying it some of the time. I like to be as proficient as possible with what I am carrying so I guess I am going to have to try and wear my new Kimber out with practice, practice, practice.... I have noticed that if I see 20 people that hate a particular caliber or gun all I have to do is wait for a minute or two and I will see 20 people that love that caliber or gun. Shooters always seem to love the one they are carrying. I guess it is like the Ford Vs. Chevy Vs. Dodge talk, I have driven them all and always like my current one best.... "Just Sayin"

Edited by Eagle One
Incomplete posting

For me, it's not a question of hating a particular gun. In fact, I really can't say that I've hated any one I've ever owned. Many that I've liked less than others, or wanting one more than another so I had to sell one to buy another.

In general, I really just want'em all.

In my opinion, the 1911 is the best handgun ever produced and the best that ever will be produced. When you look at it in context. The pistol was designed over 100 years ago, For the majority of that time, absolutely nothing came close to it. This makes it the best pistol of all time, however that does not mean there are not better pistols out there now.

As for the modern day 1911 (equivelant), that imo is in every way superior to a glock I gotta go with this bad boy.

fnn.gif

Guest Plainsman

I recall a comment on the subject made by Patrick Sweeney once that is spot on with my opinion, and I paraphrase...

People buy Glocks because in their mind they are the best tool out there for the job, with the least required investment in money, training, maintenance and emotional attachment. People buy 1911s because they feel they are the best tool for the job, they are willing to invest their money, invest in training and they desire an emotional attachment to the tool that someday may save their life.

The good news is that there is a choice! Sure I could buy almost three Glocks with the money I have invested in my carry 1911, but I still find myself wanting to carry that 1911! Although, I must admit that my Glock 19 does get out of the house every now and again. Both are fine defensive weapons. I appreciate the things each of them has to offer. Things are changing like crazy, and I've got my money on the 1911 hanging around for a while. There is just so much to appreciate with the 1911 platform!

Guest Victor9er

Different strokes for different folks. I don't understand what all of the 1911 vs Glock fuss is all about. I'm not a 1911 fan myself, just don't care for the way they feel to me. It doesn't mean that I hate it though, it's just not for me. And I could care less what "you" choose to shoot with. It doesn't affect me one way or the other.

There's a reason there's more than one gun manufacturer in the world. And there's a reason there's more than one model gun available. Just like there's a reason there's more than one kind of car, or resturant, or soft drink, or clothes, or cell phone, or movie, or or or... EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. There's no such thing as the "best of them all" there's only "the best for me" and anything else is useless debate.

Shoot whatever the hell you want to, I'm not going to tell you any differently. Just don't come around here and try telling ME what to shoot.

1911's are better than Glocks, Ford is better than Chebby, carbs better than fuel injection, 220 swift is better than 22-250. 308 is better than 30.06, 380's bounce off paper towels. What did I miss?

I own both, but cut my teeth on 1911. Outside of work I carry a .45 Warthog.

Picking one, the 1911 stays.

Funny thread here. I have owned both. I like both and I have carried both. I carry a Glock not because its prestigious but because its practical to me, but again thats just me. I feel like whatever gun fits your hand and you shoot well is the gun you should choose. Whether it be a 1911, glock, or a Marlin Camp 9. To each his own, and Im not going to argue about what gun is better or what caliber is better.

Guest Victor9er
1911's are better than Glocks, Ford is better than Chebby, carbs better than fuel injection, 220 swift is better than 22-250. 308 is better than 30.06, 380's bounce off paper towels. What did I miss?

Blackberry is better than Android, McDonalds is better than Burger King, Star Trek is better than Star Wars, Pepsi is better than Coke, flip flops are better than sandals, cats are better than dogs, Mac is better than PC, Canon is better than Nikon, Baseball is better than Football, analog is better than digital, Democrats are better than Republicans, Fender is better than Gibson, ..............

I carry a Glock not because its prestigious but because its practical to me, but again thats just me. I feel like whatever gun fits your hand and you shoot well is the gun you should choose. Whether it be a 1911, glock, or a Marlin Camp 9. To each his own, and Im not going to argue about what gun is better or what caliber is better.

+1000

Nikon is better than Canon.

As for 1911 vs Glock.

I have both. Easy solution

Blackberry is better than Android, McDonalds is better than Burger King, Star Trek is better than Star Wars, Pepsi is better than Coke, flip flops are better than sandals, cats are better than dogs, Mac is better than PC, Canon is better than Nikon, Baseball is better than Football, analog is better than digital, Democrats are better than Republicans, Fender is better than Gibson, .......

:D:stir: Thats funny, cats really? ;)

Guest Victor9er
:D:stir: Thats funny, cats really? ;)

No, actually I hate cats LOL... was just making a point. Actually, most of what I typed there I don't really agree with... ;)