will you rent me your land to shoot on?

stahlmangc

I love shooting. I really love shooting outdoors. While I woukd love to own some land to shoot on, its just not in the cards. I live in Nashville, and am interested to work out a deal to lease the rights to shoot on your land. Mostly handgun, but I would also be interested in 200-500 yards as well. I am NOT a hunter and am not interested in taking any game. I am very responsible and respectful of one's property. I am extremely conscious of safety and the respect of the owners and their neighbors. I would think that 2-3 times a week max (including some weekends). Terms to be determined. I would occasionally like to bring a friend or two - similarly minded of course. 20-30 minutes drive from Nashville would be ideal. I am happy to create a written agreement especially regarding liability. If interested, please PM me or email at stahlmangc@gmail.com.

Thanks

Gray

BTW I am familiar with Charlie Hafners place and the TWRA ranges.

Edited by stahlmangc
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing personal here, because I don't know you, but this kind of setup is just way too risky,

especially when you mentioned bringing several buddies along. You may find someone willing to

do this, but as others have said, not likely.

Find you something you can afford when you can, use public ranges 'til then.

JMHO

Guest bkelm18

I think liability would be pretty big with this type of arrangement. I certainly wouldn't unless I knew the person real well, and then I'd just let them use it, no rent.

Would this not be illegal? Wouldn't it be essentially like having a range then? I don't know much about how zoning and business stuff works but I imagine the government would consider that opening a range as it would basically be the same concept.

Guest BungieCord

Lots of people lease hunting rights to their land. In the end, it would cost the landowner less to lease to a shooter than to a hunter because the shooter isn't depleting any of his resources. I'm sure there's someone who would do it, it's just a matter of finding him.

As for liability, if the land owner doesn't have his own (which he will if he's leasing hunting rights), there's lots of web sites that offer a liability waiver for hunting in PDF format. I think the one I have came from the TWRA's website.

Barring that, the TWRA runs very good public shooting facilities (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Stones River Hunter Education Center) off Hobson Pike (between Mt Juliet and LuVergne) with a pistol range and rifle ranges to 200 yards, and (shoottn.org) another in Southside, half way between Ashland City and Clarksville. The Southside facility has pistol, rifle to 400 yards, skeet, trap and sporting clays. Annual membership to either is a bit more than $100, which is bound to be less than any land rental agreement.

Edited by BungieCord

I was a guest several times at a hunting camp in NC. About 20 members. Invitation only. The camp was on leased property. I suspect a long term type lease. The owner, a farmer, still had use of the land and did cultivate several sections of the camp area. The members built and maintained a cabin on the property. The members also maintained the gated access road and were very meticulous about respecting the land . I don't recall what the members paid each year but I think it was several hundred dollars. They had a "meeting" there every month where everyone brought food and beverages, spent the night, some around the campfire, some around the poker table. There was always plenty of target practice going on but no designated range. Just stick a target in a field and open up. The place had several bunk rooms. A really nice setup that I thought I was going to be invited to join. Then I divorced the members daughter.

It would be great to find a group to go together on such a venture leasing or buying property. Form a "hunting club". the club owns the property. You pay an annual fee to belong to the club and use the property....for hunting, not a range. Of course, part of hunting is sighting in. I'd be in.