Winchester Safe Question

I am looking for some buying advice on a new safe? I'm looking at Winchester made by Granite Safes and have some questions.

1. Is there a difference in Ranger 19 and this Winchester sold by Tractor Supply? I know the fire rating is different but I'm really wondering if its a cheaply made safe like the Cannon's sold by Costco.

Tractor Supply

Ranger 19

2. Where are Granite Safes made?

3. Will a normal hand truck handle a 500 pound safe?

4. Basicly is it worth it to spend 265 more and just for an increase in fire rating or is the Ranger a way better safe?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the Winchester from TSC and am happy with it. I would like to have a higher fire rating but this was the best I could afford at the time. Sometime down the road I will need a larger safe and will probably get a Browning or Liberty. I think for the money, the Winchester is going to be hard to beat.

I have the Winchester from TSC and am happy with it. I would like to have a higher fire rating but this was the best I could afford at the time. Sometime down the road I will need a larger safe and will probably get a Browning or Liberty. I think for the money, the Winchester is going to be hard to beat.

Everyone seems very happy with the safe and I'm sure I will love it I'm just want to know if it has the quality of Winchester Ranger. I have seen a real Cannon safes and then the Mexico made Cannon and there is a huge difference.

Granite makes good residential security containers, it is not a safe.

A bad guy is not going to waste time breaching the door, they will use a sawzall and cut in through the side.

Good for the money though.

A safe buy's time from theifs and fire. And since I'm limited to weight, I'm limited on time. 12ga metal is not thick but I can't go over 500 pounds.

Guest rockytop
I am looking for some buying advice on a new safe? I'm looking at Winchester made by Granite Safes and have some questions.

3. Will a normal hand truck handle a 500 pound safe?

I doubt it. At least I wouldn't risk trying it. I would think a set of "piano" type dollies under each end would work better. My safe weighed 650# plus, and it took 5 young guys to handle it with only a one step entry way to contend with. I thought lunch for 5 guys at a mexican restaurant was a good investment.

My safe took a forklift and a transfer truck to move and over a $1k bill (just to move it across town) time it was all done. Dinner for 5 was definately a bargain. If I ever move again, I will just buy a new one, that was an experience I do not care to repeat, esp since this last move was DOWN the hill, going back up, no way...

There are better safes available, but a Centurion is doing the task I needed.

The Liberty Centurion 17 only has 4 locking bolts on one side, made in China, weighs 440 pounds and 30 mins fire.

The Winchester has 12 locking bolts, I don't know if the TS model is made in TX, weighs 510 pounds and 30 mins fire. Plus the Winchester cost 170 less than the Centurion.

I think I'm going to buy the TS model since the only difference I can find is the fire rating.

TS model has 2 layers 1/2" door and 2 layers 1/2" body = 30 mins

Ranger model has 3 layers 1/2" door and 2 layers 5/8" body = 60 mins

we are having a big sale this week and have over 400 safes in stock plus our sales tax is cheaper just checking to see if you have bought one yet

All of the Winchester safes are made overseas now, The Winchester safes that you see at TSC are their lower end models with 30 minute fire ratings and cheaper construction, that is why the price is lower than the regular models. Here is an example of the lower end Winchester safe you are refering to ...................

post-4100-132850577521_thumb.jpg

This is an attack on the top of the safe with a mini sledge , lower price is not always better. just saying ya get what you pay for:usa:

Drop by our showroom and we can show you the difference in a cheap safe and a quality one and let you make up your mind yourself.

Edited by av88tor