9x19 round

Guest eggman

Guest eggman

About a year and a half ago my father bought a Glock can't remember the model # but 9x19 cal. I was told when he got it that we went in together although I don't remember giving any $$$ on it but I am not going to complain. I was just reminded today about it and asked why I have never got any rounds for to try it out. I remember checking Wal Wart several times last year and they never had any. Is this a good round? Is it worth buying any rounds for it to shoot? What is the differance between it and a regular 9mm? Are the rounds for it a lot higher than a regular 9mm? And I would welcome any other commits on it pro or con?

Thanks Eggman

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eggman

No kidding I did not know that. I thought there was a differance between 9 luger and parablum and such. Since I have never fired a 9mm. I did not have a clue. Well you learn something everyday. So I can go and get a box of 9mm anything and run them through it and try it out. Cool. Looks like I might have plans this weekend now. Thanks patton. I believe it may be a gen 2. Dad has had it for a year and a half. The guy he got it from loaned a buddy of his some money and took it a collateral about 4 or 5 years earlier. He had bought it new a couple years before that. anyway it looks good.

Thanks eggman

Guest eggman

Garufa, go ahead and give a hard time. I have broad shoulders and can take it. I will be the first to admit my ignorance on this subject. I mainly shoot .45's,.40's .357 & 38's and of course .22's. 9's are something I never got into. Don't know why? guess I will now. But thanks to everyone for the great info and education on this

Eggman

It's all good. I've known for a long time you Union City boys ain't right! :P

Don't know why Glock does that. I guess cause 9mm is the only European caliber gun they produce and that has a broader international appeal...all the other calibers are American. :confused:

Garufa, go ahead and give a hard time. I have broad shoulders and can take it. I will be the first to admit my ignorance on this subject. I mainly shoot .45's,.40's .357 & 38's and of course .22's. 9's are something I never got into. Don't know why? guess I will now. But thanks to everyone for the great info and education on this

Eggman

well, get ready for this .... .357 sig, 357 magnum, and 38's are also 9mm ..... but not 9x19 :confused:.

BTW - 9mm short, 9mm browning, 9mm kurz, 9mm mak, 9x21, 9x18, and 9x17 are NOT the same as 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Nato, 9x19, ect.

Guest eggman
well, get ready for this .... .357 sig, 357 magnum, and 38's are also 9mm ..... but not 9x19 :confused:.

BTW - 9mm short, 9mm browning, 9mm kurz, 9mm mak, 9x21, 9x18, and 9x17 are NOT the same as 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Nato, 9x19, ect.

Thanks Smith. I had no idea there were so many differant 9mm rounds.

Well apart from the naming conventions, you have the other part of your question. The 9mm is a fine round to use. It is inexpensive (largely due to the amount produced in bulk and the fact that most military in the world use it) and effective for self defense or war. There are more powerful rounds, but it will do the job, so to speak. The round can be reasonably accurate and has enough velocity to carry it accurately to a decent range. In short, its fine, and since it is cheap, you will probably make it your practice ammo of choice, alongside a .22 (even cheaper).

Thanks Smith. I had no idea there were so many differant 9mm rounds.

There aren't that many different rounds just a lot of names for the same rounds.

What we typically call 380 ACP/Auto = 9mm short, 9mm kurz, 9x17, 9mm browning, 9mm browning short, .....

What we typically call 9mm usually refers to = 9x19, 9mm parabellum, 9mm NATO, .......

All the others just share the commonality of relative bullet diameter mainly being 9mm caliber. We haven't even gotten to the rifle variants!

Here is a good read on the 9mm caliber 9 mm caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guest eggman
There aren't that many different rounds just a lot of names for the same rounds.

What we typically call 380 ACP/Auto = 9mm short, 9mm kurz, 9x17, 9mm browning, 9mm browning short, .....

What we typically call 9mm usually refers to = 9x19, 9mm parabellum, 9mm NATO, .......

All the others just share the commonality of relative bullet diameter mainly being 9mm caliber. We haven't even gotten to the rifle variants!

Here is a good read on the 9mm caliber 9 mm caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the link. Lots and lots of 9mm stuff out there. see I learned something else tonight. Darn I have been taken to school again. Thanks

Guest Victor9er
It's all good. I've known for a long time you Union City boys ain't right! :P

Don't know why Glock does that. I guess cause 9mm is the only European caliber gun they produce and that has a broader international appeal...all the other calibers are American. :hiding:

Actually, you forgot about the G20, which is chambered for the 10mm :death:

To the OP:

The 9mm is a VERY popular round, it shoots fairly easy and is pretty affordable compared to the other rounds. It's called 9mm because it's on the metric system, and was developed by a German company for their Luger semi-auto pistol (thus the name "9mm Luger") back in the early 1900's. It's the official NATO round and so it's widely used worldwide and thus usually easy to find. (If you ever find yourself overseas and in need of ammo you'll probably have a better chance of finding 9mm than you will .45)

If it's a Glock you have that shoots 9mm, then it's either the 17 (full size), the 19 (compact), or the 26 (sub-compact) depending on what size it is. Just look on the slide and it should have one of those numbers on it along with the Glock symbol, Austria, and 9x19 stamps.

History lesson:

The Glock 17 was the first gun that Glock made, and it was developed for the Austrian military (they are an Austrian company after all) and because the Austrian military was using the 9mm round, the gun that Glock developed had to be chambered for 9mm. So that's why they picked 9mm. It was after that when Glock started to be brought over to the US that they started making guns chambered in the different "American" calibers. But the G17 in 9x19 was their first gun.

All you really need to know, is if you go to wally world and say "give me some 9mm", you will get 9mm nato/luger/9x19/parabellum. If you go to a gunstore that carries it, they might ask you makarov or nato/luger/9x19/parabellum? As already mentioned, the makarov round is shorter (9x18). As mentioned and as you can see in the wikipedia link, there are a ton of variants of cartridges that use a 9mm size bullet, but of those the only ones I have seen in stores has been 9x19. ONE time I saw a store had 1 single box of 9x18. Most people that shoot those other calibers probably have a store that caters for them, or they order it/reload it themselves.

Well this topic has sufficiently been beat more than a dead horse, I hope you retain some useful info. Have fun shooting!

To the OP: I wouldn't feel bad at all! Being a newbie shooter one of the first questions I posted here was about the difference between 45 Colt and 45 Long Colt. As you have found, folks are very helpful, informative, and point you in the right direction. Every time I log-on, I feel like I'm "being schooled".

To the OP: I wouldn't feel bad at all! Being a newbie shooter one of the first questions I posted here was about the difference between 45 Colt and 45 Long Colt. As you have found, folks are very helpful, informative, and point you in the right direction. Every time I log-on, I feel like I'm "being schooled".

We all start somewhere. Thing I have learned is that the more I learn the more I realize I don't know. People who think they have it all figured out stopped learning pretty early in the curve.:)

BTW - reason I listed all the 9mm variants is that in the store we have had more than a few people try to buy 9mm Mak for a .380, .380 for a 9mm, 9mm for a .380, or even 9mm for a Glock .40 9! Think on that for a minute!;)

All you really need to know, is if you go to wally world and say "give me some 9mm", you will get 9mm nato/luger/9x19/parabellum. If you go to a gunstore that carries it, they might ask you makarov or nato/luger/9x19/parabellum? As already mentioned, the makarov round is shorter (9x18). As mentioned and as you can see in the wikipedia link, there are a ton of variants of cartridges that use a 9mm size bullet, but of those the only ones I have seen in stores has been 9x19. ONE time I saw a store had 1 single box of 9x18. Most people that shoot those other calibers probably have a store that caters for them, or they order it/reload it themselves. Well this topic has sufficiently been beat more than a dead horse, I hope you retain some useful info. Have fun shooting!
Shorter isnt the problem. The makarov is wider, and if someone manages to cram on into a 9x19 barrel, it may overpressure/obstruct due to the fatter bullet. You can fire a 380 in a 9mm (it may not cycle the action or feed well, but its safe). The mak is not safe. It has a unique diameter, the next closest caliber is the 38 S&W (not 357/ 38 sp). It really should be labeled 9.2X18 for clarity of this point.
Actually, you forgot about the G20, which is chambered for the 10mm ;)

If it's a Glock you have that shoots 9mm, then it's either the 17 (full size), the 19 (compact), or the 26 (sub-compact) depending on what size it is. Just look on the slide and it should have one of those numbers on it along with the Glock symbol, Austria, and 9x19 stamps.

If we're all gonna correct each other I've got to point out that you forgot the 34 (practical/tactical) model. I always think about that one because it's the one I'd like to try out. I already have the others!

Guest Victor9er
If we're all gonna correct each other I've got to point out that you forgot the 34 (practical/tactical) model. I always think about that one because it's the one I'd like to try out. I already have the others!

You're right! I always forget about that one LOL. I even have a friend that has one, the G34c, and he let me shoot it a while back when we went to the range together. He tried my 19 and now he wants one of those too lol.

Also, if we're going to really get picky here I also forgot about the 18, which is the full-automatic version. Highly doubtfull the OP has one of those, but it IS another 9mm Glock.

Edited by Victor9er
Hey Smith. . that 9X21 is that the same as 9mm largo?

No. The 9x21 IMI was designed by the Israelis as a get around of stupid European gun laws. The Largo is a 9x23 rounds. Just in case folks didn't know the last number is the case length. So the largo case is 23mm long and the NATO is 19mm long.