Need your opinion on build

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I just scored a Rem 700 long action in 300 RUM at the moment. Its a brand new SPS with the junk stock and pencil thin barrel that I got very cheap. Bolt face is .550 I believe or at least the RUM is, can't recall at the moment.

Anyways I use to have a 300 RUM back in the day and always regretted selling the action. I'm not a fan of the 300 RUM but do like what the receiver could be used for. For the last few days I have been looking around on various sites and digging through some cartridge manuals I have and I'm leaning on building a 338 edge. Pretty much a 300 RUM necked up to accept 338 bullets. You can fit a bit more powder going this way over a 338 RUM. Seems to be many opinions on whether it is better than any number of other options. I currently do not have a 338 caliber rifle of any size and think its time. I'm not interested in a 338 Lapua and want to stay under that size.

What I'm asking you guys is am I over looking another caliber/cartridge for this build that you would do if you were me?

I'm thinking this will end up a benchrest rifle. At the moment I'm considering a Lilja 30" fluted palma contour 30B. Still deciding on the stock but it will be typical bench gun fashion either wood, laminate, syn. Most likely I will go single feed and ditch the mag feeding issues with long bullets. All the other stuff doesn't matter for this question I feel. Last bench gun I built (22-250 AI ) tipped the scales at 20lbs and I assume this one will go 25lbs if not more.

I have done so many tactical type rifles as of late that I really want to step back from that for a minute with this next one which will be mine. I figured one of you might have a way better idea that I have not thought of. To be honest I really wanted to build a 6.5x47 or 6.5-284 but came across this action instead and bought it on a whim.

***EDIT*** case head is .532 now that I looked. Since I don't have the bolt in front of me I have no idea what the bolt face measures but I can always open it up.

Edited by GunTroll

Something else you might consider is getting one of the custom Remington-Savage barrels. They are made to fit a Remington action but you set the headspace like a Savage using a barrel nut. This makes swapping calibers at home a snap. That way you can have multiple calibers on the same platform. I do caliber swaps in about 10 minutes on my Savage which would be the same for your setup. He uses Criterion which are Kreiger barrels.

This is the guy making them:

Contact Information for NSS:

E-mail - briggs.j-b@q.com (that is Q.com not G.com)

Phone - 763/682-4296

Fax - 763/682-6098

Mailing address:

PO Box 333

Buffalo, MN 55313

As far as caliber I can't make a recommendation. I don't have a lot of experience with the RUM's.

Dolomite

Guest GunTroll

Yeah. Thats something to consider. I chamber and thread my own barrel blanks so thats an option.

I like savages a good bit. I have both a 270 and 223 savage. Both are factory stock. But I do not like the barrel nut as far as aesthetics are concerned. I do see the advantage however. I have many friends who use the savage action and just drop the barrel nut when doing a custom build and it makes it look very clean. Anyways, I see what your saying about utilizing the barrel nut design on the REM.

With this build I'll run the cartridge that I chamber it for till the barrel is burnt out or my interest fades. Usually my interest fades long before the barrels of my guns go out. And then I just start it all over again with new action, new cartridge, more head scratching due to all the options.

I don't have to stay in the RUM cartridge Dolomite. I'm wanting large bore, long range designs in a bench gun with target/accuracy in mind over hunting, etc. I got no other ideas other than a 338 Edge at the moment. I'm hoping someone here will enlighten me with something I don't know about yet.

A good resource when I start researching a new build is this:

page8d

It is espcially useful if you are trying to stay with a particular bolt head. I like the lighter kicking or subsonic rounds anymore. Gettig pounded by a heavy caliber is no longer fun for me. Even my 223's need muzzle brakes or need to be very heavy. I have embraced and shoot more 22 lr than anything else anymore because of my problems.

Dolomite

Guest GunTroll

Only negatives I see is the cost of brass. Something like $170 for 100 pieces or $40-ish for 20. Dies aren't bad luckily. Norma brass is A+ grade and 100 pieces should last me forever on a gun like this. Availability is also a negative with Norma. Everywhere I look its back ordered till Nov which isn't a big deal for it will take me forever to get it done in between customers stuff which comes first.

Guest GunTroll
I've got a 700 in .338 RUM. Kicks like a mule. You are more than welcome to shoot it if you would like to.

What I'm reading here is that you are in desperate need of some mods.

Guest GunTroll

458 Ultra. Thats funny and not necessary IMO for anything N. American. Its not a target caliber either. I thought of "African" style cartridges though, but that whole style of rifle and cartridges just don't mix with push feed IMO. Rem 700's don't say " take me to Africa with you" to me unless your talking plains game. Dangerous game...give me the claw or a double any day. Hell, even a single like a #1 or similar before a push feed. If my action was only something different I'd do it or a similar cartridge. Always wanted to fill that missing style in my collection.

Lapua is boring and too hyped. I'm sort of the guy that likes to be different in taste. If its popular, whats the point in following the crowd is how I think.

I'm feeling the 338 Norma. All the write ups are outstanding. Pretty much a Lapua minus the negatives from what I can read.

i put m16 extractors on all my remingtons .a few years i killed a big bear at about 35 feet in tall grass if i ever get to go back i will take enough gun.i also load it with 325 grain hornady bullets made for 45/70s it realy is a great rifle shoots cast bullets goood too.

i had it built by druys custom guns in san antonio tx

• Like 1
Guest GunTroll
i put m16 extractors on all my remingtons .a few years i killed a big bear at about 35 feet in tall grass if i ever get to go back i will take enough gun.i also load it with 325 grain hornady bullets made for 45/70s it realy is a great rifle shoots cast bullets goood too.

i had it built by druys custom guns in san antonio tx

I'm a fan of enough gun as well. I also like the Sako, m16 style extractors even though in small circles they claim it violates the "three ring rule". My main gripe is the push feed vs. the controlled round feed when considering your query. If it can eat me and scratch me even, I want controlled round feed or manual in the case of doubles and singles.