So, I'm thinking of going muzzle brake

Jon_L

I've watched some videos and it seems it's the way to go for quick follow up shots. I wanted opinions (if I went and hammered out a few hundred rounds, could I work past the recoil bit, is the noticable lessened recoil, et cetera)?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 2.

The Miculek is the best deal at $29+/- at Cheaper than dirt. It performed well enough and is lighter than my current brake.

Even though the Miculek did great with recoil, i felt it still allowed to much muzzle rise. So i got a SJC Titan. It is big, heavy and LOUD, but the rifle does not move. The Titan is around $90 new.

There are a lot of good brakes. The flavors of the month are the Dynacomp by Spike's $90 and the Battlecomp $150. The are closer in size to the A2 flashider. I have shot the Battlecomp. It worked almost as well as the Miculek.

Brakes have allowed me to cut my times for follow up shots (splits) in half. For one or 2 shots, it doesn't really matter. In big 3 gun stage the time saved in my splits can add up quick.

Edit: I said the Titan is loud. When i shoot at a covered range, i have to use both ear plugs and electronic ear muffs.

Edited by gotigers

Brakes make a huge difference in how your rifle will act. I have a 223 and a .22 and both feel nearly the same. I can follow up just as quickly with the 223 as the .22. The only thing about having a brake vs a hider is the concussion felt by the shooter and those next to him. It can be obnoxiously loud. I ran a Miculek for a while then found a deal on some on Ebay. They were all steel with a clamping ring to hold it in place and I think they work better than the Miculek but for the money you can't beat a Miculek. Definately try the cheapest one you can buy before spending a ton of money on one because some people like them and some don't.

Dolomite

Brakes make a huge difference in how your rifle will act. I have a 223 and a .22 and both feel nearly the same. I can follow up just as quickly with the 223 as the .22. The only thing about having a brake vs a hider is the concussion felt by the shooter and those next to him. It can be obnoxiously loud. I ran a Miculek for a while then found a deal on some on Ebay. They were all steel with a clamping ring to hold it in place and I think they work better than the Miculek but for the money you can't beat a Miculek. Definately try the cheapest one you can buy before spending a ton of money on one because some people like them and some don't.

Dolomite

I was thinking over this while at work last night and I don't think I've gotten enough trigger time to get used to the felt recoil. Maybe my problem lies there.

I was thinking over this while at work last night and I don't think I've gotten enough trigger time to get used to the felt recoil. Maybe my problem lies there.

Practice isn't a bad thing but when it comes to reducing felt recoil a brake is the way to go. Nothing else is going to reduce it like a brake. The buffers, gas systems, or anything else isn't going to have the same effect. Most other methods don't reduce the felt recoil but extend the recoil over a larger amount of time. The brake actaully conteracts the recoil.

Dolomite

I have read some ranges won’t let you shoot with a muzzle brake.

I have a Past Recoil Shoulder Pad. It works great put I have to take it on and off when switching rifles.

I have been looking at BlackHawk Axiom energy absorbing rifle stocks, but haven’t found anyone that has actually used one.

My experience has been good with the BattleComp, but it's not a typical brake. I didn't buy it to reduce recoil. I bought it to control muzzle rise, which is what slows your followup shots. Typical brakes are loud, especially to the folks standing next to the shooter. The BC is a little louder, but not by much. I didn't really feel a major reduction in recoil when I started shooting it, but the muzzle tends to stay put.

I have two carbines with the same barrel that are essentially the same weight. One has the BC, and one has an A2 flash hider. A few weeks ago, I took a buddy to the range with both rifles and a buttload of ammo in loaded mags. We grabbed a couple of lanes at Stones River. Except for a couple of cool-down periods, we shot continuously until we ran out. We swapped rifles a couple of times during the session.

All that to say that I have a good feel for what the BattleComp does vs a stock rifle. It really does reduce recoil, and does the muzzle control function VERY well. I tend to step away from the firing line when somebody in the next lane is using a brake. I didn't have a problem shooting next to the BC.

I know it's about the most expensive muzzle device out there. If I decide to put a compensator on my other rifle, it will be another BC.

Typical brakes are loud, especially to the folks standing next to the shooter. The BC is a little louder, but not by much.

I tend to step away from the firing line when somebody in the next lane is using a brake. I didn't have a problem shooting next to the BC.

:)

All I'm really concerned about is muzzle rise, I can deal with recoil (my bro's S12 is a hoot to shoot for me). I'm looking at the BattleComp now.

Can't help but keep going back to a few more afternoons of shooting being the key to a quicker follow up, though.

ETA: I think I found the one I want if I do go that way:

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9&idcategory=6#details

Edited by Jon_L

My son and I took his new AR to the range yesterday with a Troy Claymore brake installed. I am not sure how I feel about it yet.The ports are straight forward and seemed to just push the carbine straight back. The muzzle did not seem to rise any. With XM193 and a 16" barrel it does put out a pretty nice fireball.

All I'm really concerned about is muzzle rise, I can deal with recoil (my bro's S12 is a hoot to shoot for me). I'm looking at the BattleComp now.

Can't help but keep going back to a few more afternoons of shooting being the key to a quicker follow up, though.

ETA: I think I found the one I want if I do go that way:

FSC556 - PWS Muzzle Devices - PWS

i have one that i use on my suppressed gun. but for the money of the PWS there are better ones out there. we like the arrendondo best. the PWS "to me" tries to be best of both worlds. flash hider and comp. but everyone has there own favorite.