Tracking Stories of Self Defense - GunsSaveLives.net

Guest photo_k0pier

Guest photo_k0pier

I'm not very active here, but I'm very active on several other gun forums, so sorry if you're seeing this again, but I'm trying to make the rounds on the more popular forums to get this project off the ground.

Mods, feel free to move this if there is a better forum it belongs in.

I've setup a simple, streamlined site for tracking self defense stories in the news.

Hopefully this will turn into a great place to send people who ask questions like "Why would you ever need a gun?" or "Who ever really uses a gun to defend themselves?"

Anyone can submit a story.

I know it's not the first site of this kind, but I've got it setup in such a way that it's extremely quick and easy for me to manage. I've also hopefully minimized copyright issues with this setup.

Guns Save Lives - Stories of Self Defense

On Facebook: Guns Save Lives on Facebook

Today's updates share a common theme. Stories of children who successfully defended themselves and others using firearms.

And people say children should never be exposed to firearms.

10 Year Old Child in Baton Rouge Shoots Home Invader (2009)

15 Year Old Texas Boy Shoots Burglar, Defends Sister (2010)

11 Year Old Texas Boy Shoots Home Invaders, Defends Mother (2010)

11 Year Old Girl Defends Home with .22 Rifle (2010)

Son Uses Dad’s AR-15 To Defend Home (2010)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest biohazardmatthew

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been wanting to find a place I could read these kind of stories. Keep up the good work.

Guest photo_k0pier
I don't think we can have to many pro 2nd Amendment websites.

I tend to agree! With as much anti gun sentiment as the media usually pumps out we can never have enough positive press out there.

Added a bunch of stories since yesterday including these which have happened in the last couple of days:

Armed Pizza Employee Pulls Gun On Armed Robber (FL)

Armed Robber Killed by Liquor Store Clerk in Chicago

Armed Shreveport Store Clerk Shoots Armed Robbers

Augusta, GA Man Kills Armed Attacker

And these older stories which show that firearms can be the ultimate equalizer for those who can't always physically fight back:

77 Yr Old Cincinnati Man Shoots Intruders (2010)

Wheelchair Bound Fla Man Shoots Attacker (2009)

78 Yr Old Texas Man Shoots Robber (2009)

Pregnant Mother Holds Robber At Gunpoint For Police (2009)

Thanks again for people who have taken the time to help with submissions, volunteer work, etc.

You can now subscribe for email updates Here

Guest photo_k0pier

Haven't been able to update the site like I wanted to this weekend, but I did add in several new, recent stories. Should be back to full speed this week. Thanks again for those that take time to submit stories and comment.

• 2 months later...
Guest photo_k0pier

I apologize for the lack of updates on the site. I got married last month so that left little time for managing the site.

I've been going through my backlog over the last few days and have added numerous, interesting stories to the site though.

Guest photo_k0pier
I guess you know there are 10 or so new reports every month in American Rifleman that you can probably find news links to, in case you don't already check those.

- OS

Yep most of those make it in there. However, not all of those have hard links to the news story (which I am trying to do). Currently we're averaging anywhere from 20-40 stories a month and I feel like we're just scratching the surface.

I'm currently working on a process which will more efficiently parse through news feeds to bring more stories to my attention on a daily basis.

• 2 weeks later...

The masses around us have repeatedly been told that guns are almost never used by "nonprofessionals" to stop crimes, that we're more likely to shoot ourselves or our families, etc., etc. And they're not going to believe anything they see on a gun-friendly site. This site breaks through that barrier in that instead of summarizing or re-telling the story, it links directly to the media report (newspaper article or TV clip) -- which lends credibility in their eyes.

Guest photo_k0pier
The masses around us have repeatedly been told that guns are almost never used by "nonprofessionals" to stop crimes, that we're more likely to shoot ourselves or our families, etc., etc. And they're not going to believe anything they see on a gun-friendly site. This site breaks through that barrier in that instead of summarizing or re-telling the story, it links directly to the media report (newspaper article or TV clip) -- which lends credibility in their eyes.

That was my goal with this site. I wanted people to be able to read these stories without the slant of a pro gun website on them. While the website itself is certainly pro-gun, it would be hard to say the same about many of the article sources.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest photo_k0pier
Great job Photo,

Very well done and a lot of good infromation. I also "liked" your facebook page. It's very well done as well. Shared it with several of my FB friends.

Thanks for helping to spread the word. I'm glad it's getting such positive feedback. It's turning into a pretty cool resource.

Guest photo_k0pier
It's a great site. I also have linked it to my Facebook page and have gotten a lot of positive response. Keep up the good work and Thanks.

Thanks for the positive feedback and for sharing it!

Guest FHTMcrt

Great project. I always enjoy reading the stories and watching the videos. I find it discouraging, though, when one shows a gunowner shooting at a perp who is running away and not shooting back nor otherwise at that point presenting a danger to the goodguy. That does our cause no good at all.

Guest photo_k0pier
Great project. I always enjoy reading the stories and watching the videos. I find it discouraging, though, when one shows a gunowner shooting at a perp who is running away and not shooting back nor otherwise at that point presenting a danger to the goodguy. That does our cause no good at all.

I hear where you're coming from. I try to only include stories where the shooter acted within the law of their state. Some states have more lenient requirements for the use of deadly force than others.

It's also hard to say when a person is a threat if they are already inside your home as it takes very little time for the intruder to present a weapon and put you in a bad situation. Also, just b/c an intruder was shot in the back does not mean they were fleeing, or no longer a threat.