Trophy Field Care

I'd like to post this information for all of my TGO friends who may wish to mount a trophy this year.

I retired from Taxidermy a couple of years ago (I still tinker with it), and wish to share my knowledge with you.

Mr./Mrs. Moderator please feel free to move this if need be.

Every year that I ran my shop (and even now), I've seen some of the most beautiful animals ruined, because of the way they were handled in the field. Remember friends, a Taxidermist can only mount what you bring him/her. Pre-mount care is almost as important as the Taxidermists work is.

Here are a few tips that I hope you all find helpful.

NOTE: Due to the various diseases that can be carried by Skunks, Coyotes, Feral Hogs, Raccoons and Foxes, always use extreme caution when handling the carcasses of these animals. Use Latex gloves and ALWAYS wash your hands after handling these animals. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!!

SMALL ANIMALS:

Animals the size of Coyote and smaller, should not be skinned or gutted, by no one other than your Taxidermist. Small animals, especially carnivores, will spoil very quickly because of their thin hides and bacteria. If you can't take it to your Taxidermist right away, allow the carcass to cool completely, place it in a plastic bag and freeze.

With the epidemic of rabies in many counties of Tennessee, every safety measure must be used when handling your harvested animals!

Large Game Shoulder Mount:

Caping is the process of "skinning out" a trophy animal, and is BEST left to your Taxidermist. Their experience in skinning, especially the nose, mouth, eyes and ears is invaluable in producing a high quality mount. Many trophies are ruined by in-experience!

Deer head:

With animal laying on it's back or hanging, with a sharp knife, slit the hide circling the body behind the shoulder midway down the ribcage behind the shoulder. Slit the skin around the legs just above the knees. Another cut will be from the back of the legs and joining the body and down to the cuts circling the legs.

Peel the skin all the way forward to the ears, and where the neck/skull join, cut severing the head from the carcass. DO NOT CUT THROUGH THE HIDE!!! Skin first!!

Leave PLENTY of skin. Your Taxidermist can trim away any excess....he cannot ADD skin!!!

Field Dressing:

When field dressing a trophy to be mounted, DO NOT cut into the brisket (chest) or the neck area. If blood gets on the hide, wash it off with snow or water as soon as possible. Also, avoid dragging the deer out of the woods with a rope. Place it on a sled or four wheeler. The rope, rocks, or dead branches can very easily damage your mount. If you need to drag your deer, do so by the antlers.

DO NOT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES cut the throat of your deer. Not only is this dangerous, but most Taxidermists charge about $20.00 and inch to fix!

I hope all of you find this little bit of information helpful. I will add more info as the need arises.

Dave "WD-40" Sayre

Edited by wd-40
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic