Mountain Bike fitment questions and other

Guest db99wj

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave
Never really looked at the bike until these pictures, I need to strip that thing down and paint it! Purple is so not.....me.

LOL...it musta been at some point....

The bike is definitely out of date but I'm not sure I wouldn't say to get it tuned up and ride it long enough for the OP to figure out his next step. The big issue is that this bike isn't going to work with disc brakes and that's probably the biggest improvement in hardtail technology. As for the poster who commented about $2,000 buying a lot of Jeep parts: Jeeps are cool and all, but they do nothing for rule 1: Cardio. Further, I'll make sure never to mention how much I have in my mountain bike on TGO (or my road bike, or my cyclocross bike etc...).

I didn't mean to knock the bike. I was just saying it is kinda like upgrading and servicing a 15 year old Sigma. It probably wouldn't be cost effective or gain you much.

LOL...it musta been at some point....

Oh, it definitely was back in the heyday of John Tomac!

• 4 months later...

Getting ready to start riding. New years resolution of sorts. I want to do my first Sprint Triathlon late summer. I haves couple of local ones picked out. Ive concluded that my DB is done as far as serious riding. Will keep it for my wife if when riding with the kids. I'm buying new.

The bikes direct link has what seems to be a decent bike for the price, which is in my price range.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_700HT_xi.htm

They have a 600HT as well. I like the color of this one better than the 709, but I'm not buying based on color. I want the better bike

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_600HT_xi.htm

I don't know much on components. Any thoughts on these 2?

Reviews seem to be good, the brakes get the most bad reviews and are mixed. They make some noise and others say they are not good, heavy but stop.

I'm not concerned about weight, since I'm not going to be racing for too finish spots, but I am aware of the benefits of less weight. I want a bike that I can ride on the road/off road and not break it in half if I get some air.

Craigslist is full of crap in my price range of low end Treks that I can buy new for another hundred bucks or so and still have a wannabe mountain bike (3500 series). No offense to Trek's but even the Trek dealer said these were not real mountain bikes and if I'm going off road I would need a better model. He showed me one that was around a grand or so. Can't afford that.

Edited by db99wj

Spoke with a good friend that I run with, he is also deep into mountain biking, does tri's etc. Looks like I'm going with the 700HT, the small price increase for the 700 gets me a lighter bike by a pound, better fork and some slightly better components on a few things. I like the matte black finish, but the polished aluminum won't show scratches as much. So it looks like I will be ordering soon, will need to get some padded bike shorts as well, got to protect the nuggets!

Guest db99wj

Ordered the 700HT today. Should be in in about a week. I went with a 17". Can't wait to get it. Need to crosstrain with it, I tweaked my knee yesterday on my trail run.

Guest db99wj
Yet another reason to add to my list of reasons not to run.

Good case of runners knee, just started back running trails, lots more lateral movement, causes some knee pain, amplified a bit when I hit a rut caused by a mountain bike, and rolled my ankle. A bunch of cuss words, walked off the ankle, it's fine, knee is hurting more. Damn mountain bikers...oh wait....

• 3 weeks later...

Got it, assembled it, dialed it in myself, been riding it, love it. I mean, I really do enjoy it. The greenline here is a quarter mile from my house, another half mile and I can hit multiple MB trails that go on for miles. I went this weekend for a 9 mile ride, 5 of which were trails, then I went Monday for a 5 mile trail ride, after my 3 mile run. Going to Cullman, AL this weekend, and will be riding Saturday.

c6e4e145-0677-67aa.jpg

c6e4e145-06aa-4afd.jpg

c6e4e145-06db-a3d3.jpg

c6e4e145-06ff-bf79.jpg

Edited by db99wj
where did you find the FRENCHY FRENCH bike?....I haven't seen a Motobecane in a LOOOOOONG time?

The french gave up....again, and and Bikesdirect.com bought them or distributes them exclusively, I think. The website is Motobecaneusa.com. I got mine through bikesdirect, and their CS was in Florida, the bike was shipped out of TX, the manufacturer of the frame is Kinesis and they make several frames for Diamond Back, Felt, GT, Jamis, Schwin and I several others. Will have to check Wikipedia tomorrow or when ever they come back online.

MOTO's use to be awesome machines...hope this one lives up to the old reputation

Yes they were, and I have only heard good things about them, from the owners. Some brand snobs don't like them and will turn their nose up at them as they ride by, but it seems very well put together, the welds are neat and clean, finish is good, nothing at all wrong. It also rides and feels great.

Guest mustangdave

I have a 1976 Raleigh RECORD 10 speed hanging in my garage that belongs to my wife...she got it new...we had it "restored" by SMOOPY'S in Murfreesboro...the bike cleaned up really nice, they put new tires on it...cork handle bar tape...trued the rims...cleaned and greased all the moving rotating parts...its like brand new.

been to cullman( you going to stoney lonesome park?) I have rode there only on 4 wheels instead of 2. Great park. Next time I'll have to bring my mountainbike ( maybe in the spring).

No, I'm actually going on my churches Men's Club annual retreat at St. Bernard Abby. This is our 5th time there. There is a series of logging roads and trails that surround the property. Last year we ran a 6-7 mile loop, and only covered a small portion of what's there. Will have to look that park up.