Too many inconsiderate $*#(@) in this world!!!

Got a new mailbox on order heading my way, cost me $70 which sucks but its 40 pounds of 1/4" stainless steel that looks exactly like a standard box that im going to paint it different just to show off its new and sit back and listen for the scream when the punk hopefully comes back and punches it again.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WyattEarp
then fined by the USPS

my solution to that would have been to remove the ****ing mailbox from near the street and get one of those ones that bolts to the front of the house outside your front door, and just make the mailman walk the mail up to the door.

Guest 808-South
my solution to that would have been to remove the ****ing mailbox from near the street and get one of those ones that bolts to the front of the house outside your front door, and just make the mailman walk the mail up to the door.

^^^^This or a PO box.

They won't do that. They'll force him to put it at the street like everyone else. And they wonder why they lose $8,000,000,000 per year.

Guest WyattEarp
They won't do that. They'll force him to put it at the street like everyone else. And they wonder why they lose $8,000,000,000 per year.

i've seen plenty of them on people's houses and some at the curb. mostly in older subdivisions, as HOA's have these dumb rules about uniformity nowadays.

i've seen plenty of them on people's houses and some at the curb. mostly in older subdivisions, as HOA's have these dumb rules about uniformity nowadays.

I had one on my house while growing up in Missouri. When I moved out on my own I expected the same and was quickly corrected. It's so they can get more deliveries out of each carrier by not having to leave the jeep and walk the block. Too bad, because I knew my postal carrier as a kid, but not anymore. But then again, nowadays it seems that all they deliver is junk mail and bills from businesses that seem incapable of evolving.

Guest Lester Weevils
I had one on my house while growing up in Missouri. When I moved out on my own I expected the same and was quickly corrected. It's so they can get more deliveries out of each carrier by not having to leave the jeep and walk the block. Too bad, because I knew my postal carrier as a kid, but not anymore. But then again, nowadays it seems that all they deliver is junk mail and bills from businesses that seem incapable of evolving.

Yes maybe it will go the way of the dodo bird. I've been lucky never to live a place with mailbox vandalism or mail theft, so I avoid doing any bills or payments online. Opinions differ, but I think that if one were to do all bill reception and payments online, then the odds of fraud, hacking and identity theft are overall higher than if one were to do all bill reception and payments via mail and paper checks.

Perhaps there are neighborhoods with mail theft where it would be safer to move all business online. Dunno. It is just that hackers seem to be at least as smart as financial institution webmasters. If a guy rips off yer mailbox, there is a limit to how many mailboxes he can rip off in a day. A skilled enough hacker might steal millions of accounts in one fell swoop. He could never do that ripping off individual mailboxes.

Yes maybe it will go the way of the dodo bird. I've been lucky never to live a place with mailbox vandalism or mail theft, so I avoid doing any bills or payments online. Opinions differ, but I think that if one were to do all bill reception and payments online, then the odds of fraud, hacking and identity theft are overall higher than if one were to do all bill reception and payments via mail and paper checks.

Perhaps there are neighborhoods with mail theft where it would be safer to move all business online. Dunno. It is just that hackers seem to be at least as smart as financial institution webmasters. If a guy rips off yer mailbox, there is a limit to how many mailboxes he can rip off in a day. A skilled enough hacker might steal millions of accounts in one fell swoop. He could never do that ripping off individual mailboxes.

I disagree. The postal system is protected by the feds with their own law enforcement because of a history of rampant robberies. Even today, the government went to direct deposit because of the amount of SS checks getting stolen out of the mailboxes at the first of the month. And really, it doesn't matter how many others got nailed when you are one of them.

I caught a boy stealing mail, actually caught him numerous times over the course of 4-6 months. Contacted LE and was told they needed proof and that my eyewitness statement isn't good enough. They said I would have to call and LE show up while he is still in the mailbox or have video for them to do anything. I was told if I stopped him I could be charged if I detained him. I asked if they could at least just stop and look for others mail in the car based on my statement and they said they wouldn't. The kid even drove by while I was talking to one of the officers.

Even if I did call my local LE takes a long time to respond to anything. Wife called 911 after she was robbed, took them 20 minutes to show up. At that point they said they would do a report because there was no sense in looking for them.

Now nearly every mailbox on our road is a large, lockable mail box to keep the kid out. He moved about a year after all the mailboxes went up.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils
I disagree. The postal system is protected by the feds with their own law enforcement because of a history of rampant robberies. Even today, the government went to direct deposit because of the amount of SS checks getting stolen out of the mailboxes at the first of the month. And really, it doesn't matter how many others got nailed when you are one of them.

Hi SWJewellTN

Those are good points and you may be correct.

Risk perception is molded by personal experience as much as "the odds". I've never been ripped by mail, but have been ripped via hacked credit card online acct. Which made me gunshy about excessive internet financial dealings. But overall odds may be better online. Dunno.

I receive a monthly pay from canada. Because the company mostly ships via UPS, UPS is pretty cheap for them. For years they would UPS me the check (written in US funds) and I would deposit it and the bank didn't ding me any money because it was written in US funds.

Then in 2008 when the wheels fell off the economy, one month the bank sent me a pink sheet saying my check had been submitted to their "international transfers" department, which took a month to clear the check and charged a couple of hundred dollars for the favor. Even for a check written in US funds!

So then we switched to electronic funds transfer. The canadian bank + international transfer system dings my money for something like $40 and then my bank dings me $15 for the service of accepting the money and crediting my account.

So the banks seem to have improved the system to the point that what used to cost a few bucks now costs over 50 bucks a month. Now that is progress!

Hi SWJewellTN

Those are good points and you may be correct.

Risk perception is molded by personal experience as much as "the odds". I've never been ripped by mail, but have been ripped via hacked credit card online acct. Which made me gunshy about excessive internet financial dealings. But overall odds may be better online. Dunno.

I receive a monthly pay from canada. Because the company mostly ships via UPS, UPS is pretty cheap for them. For years they would UPS me the check (written in US funds) and I would deposit it and the bank didn't ding me any money because it was written in US funds.

Then in 2008 when the wheels fell off the economy, one month the bank sent me a pink sheet saying my check had been submitted to their "international transfers" department, which took a month to clear the check and charged a couple of hundred dollars for the favor. Even for a check written in US funds!

So then we switched to electronic funds transfer. The canadian bank + international transfer system dings my money for something like $40 and then my bank dings me $15 for the service of accepting the money and crediting my account.

So the banks seem to have improved the system to the point that what used to cost a few bucks now costs over 50 bucks a month. Now that is progress!

I too have been, (well, attempted to be), ripped off by internet purchases. Fortunately, either I or the bank caught it before it cost me. Both times it was an employee at the business that did it; not interception by a hacker. I wouldn't have been able to catch it had I not been able to see each and every charge post on my banking account before it cleared.

Banks - just like any other business - will get real creative in how they can take your money, but I'd suggest either looking for a new bank or addressing the problem with the employer. That's just ridiculous.

I caught a boy stealing mail, actually caught him numerous times over the course of 4-6 months. Contacted LE and was told they needed proof and that my eyewitness statement isn't good enough. They said I would have to call and LE show up while he is still in the mailbox or have video for them to do anything. I was told if I stopped him I could be charged if I detained him. I asked if they could at least just stop and look for others mail in the car based on my statement and they said they wouldn't. The kid even drove by while I was talking to one of the officers.

Even if I did call my local LE takes a long time to respond to anything. Wife called 911 after she was robbed, took them 20 minutes to show up. At that point they said they would do a report because there was no sense in looking for them.

Now nearly every mailbox on our road is a large, lockable mail box to keep the kid out. He moved about a year after all the mailboxes went up.

Dolomite

That would be because local LE do not have authority to arrest on federal offense like that. That's what the postal inspectors are for.

A high school shop teacher where I grew up got tired of his mailbox being used for high-speed automotive batting practice, so he filled a mailbox with concrete and set it in place of his regular mailbox one weekend. According to the news story, he would occasionally swap it out like that. You never knew when it was going to be the ringer or the regular mailbox.

Anyway, it finally paid off for him. Stupid kids came flying down the road with one of the teenagers in the bed of a pickup truck with an aluminum ball bat. Broke the kid's arms (both of them). Compound fracture in one arm, shattered the elbow in the other. Messed him up real good. Shop teacher got sued and then fined by the USPS and ended up with a felony charge. Total BS if you ask me, but my opinion (or that of many residents of the town) didn't make any difference on the outcome.

I can pretty much guarantee the dumb ass teenager never swung a ball bat at someone else's mailbox though.

We took a little different tact for a friend a few years back. We built a mailbox out of 12x12x.375" square tubing, and mounted it to a 4x4x.25" post, and cemented two feet into the ground. Baseball bat crowd never made more than a scratch on it, and can guarantee they had some serious hyper extensions to show for it, at least.