well my sbr is no longer

i know several of you were concerned about my SBR paperwork without extra engraving and line "h" being blank. i had my fun with it even beat few people in a uspsa ky 3 gun match. i got shut up a old marine who kept on about how a 11.5" barrel would be like a little bug bite at a 100 yards, when it went right throught a old steel plate a had at 200 yards with PPU match ammo at that. which you all know is not made for punching holes in steel. it would treat 1/4" stainless like butter with just regular 55 FMJ at 100.

as i said never had a issue, traveling or other wise lots of L.E.'s loved shooting it.

my release or removeal of the NFA registration came in the yesturday. so now it just like any other AR lower.

which was my plan from the being.

and no i did not waste $200 my accountent writes it in as a paid federal firearms tax. she done that with all of our tax stamps. maybe some day someone at IRS may complain, but we have done for a few years now.

just my 2cents the BATF laws are written so badly that no matter what you do if they want you they will get you.

do not let any one tell you that a SBR is a waste of and money. i had a blast with mine. and only wolf could stop it from running. and with a JP LMOS carrier and standard buffer, she was super fast! oh what fun.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I'm sure you have your own good reasons for doing this so I won't argue that point. Honestly you are the first person I've encountered who has gone through the process of reversing the process so it's educational for me that it can even be done. Eight months, huh? Was it a very difficult process or just a long waiting game?

I'm sure you have your own good reasons for doing this so I won't argue that point. Honestly you are the first person I've encountered who has gone through the process of reversing the process so it's educational for me that it can even be done. Eight months, huh? Was it a very difficult process or just a long waiting game?

no it is a very easy process, just a letter from me stating that i no longer own a SBR upper and what i did with it. it is just the wait time is 2-3 longer getting it undone.

i had been talking about for a long time about putting together a SBR and partly just did to prove a point or 2, like the guy at work who is a retired marine who was 100% serious about what he believe that after just a few yards the bullets would just more or less just bounce off your shirt. you get the idea.

could have sold and made money unless you made it and it has your name on it then i understand why you took it off

yes i put all the parts together, and no i did not have my name or any extra marking on it. i left line "h" blank. i often shoot with some attorney's no they are not into NFA law. but i had discussed the legal meaning of the word "manufacturer". and some of the things discussed in the engraving section of this section. they were quite confused because like other top shooter they buy a STI or SV pistol frame, to build there open guns. and they are not manufacters.

and at time i was talking about this here on TGO, going by the avatar they were only 20 years old but already had a degree in weapons law and how i was going to jail.

for me it was simple just try, if they said i had to engrave the lower i was going to drop the project. in fact the first call i got from them is i left my SSN off my finger print card. then asked if everything else was good and about the engraving, she said it was a non issue and if my card came back clean the approval would in the mail the next day. of course it got a hit from a FBI file i have. about week or so later i called her back, then had to talk her boss. he said i was good to go and all my paper work good.

anyway i do not think i could have made any money, off the lower because of the $200 transfer fee. i am not saying i know the law but i damn sure would have no idea what i would get into saleing a NFA item.

well i just paid 800.00 for a sbr lower have built several just bought one this time.back when you still could i built a bunch of machine guns and subguns but i wouldnt want to sell the because i am the mfg.atf is not to hard to deal with just be upfront and honest they realy helped me out after the flood last year cause all my form 4s got lost had new ones in less that a week .i have always found that if you dont know something go to the sourse to get the awnser.i was a little scared when i called atf to tell them i lost all of my form4s but it was ok they didnt bite

I have wrote to them and called them on several occassions. The ATF has been great with me as well. I would call and ask a question then ask for a letter to backup what I was being told. Only on one occassion did the letter I receive not match what I was told. I called back and spoke to someone father up and they agreed the letter was wrong but would not reverse the decision of another agent.

I think the key to dealing with the ATF is not to be afraid or deceptive.

Dolomite

I have wrote to them and called them on several occassions. The ATF has been great with me as well. I would call and ask a question then ask for a letter to backup what I was being told. Only on one occassion did the letter I receive not match what I was told. I called back and spoke to someone father up and they agreed the letter was wrong but would not reverse the decision of another agent.

I think the key to dealing with the ATF is not to be afraid or deceptive.

Dolomite

+1 they really were great, also very quick when it came to getting travel papers. but yes was chicken and never gave it serious though to try and sale it as a SBR lower or complete.

well, i guess i do not ask enough for it. after i got the removal letter from the NFRTR, i took it to the local toy store with a copy of the letter of release. it tool awhole 3 business days to sale.

so with the TBI approve sale all the records are good to go. ( I hope)

it sold for $285, i put some kind of plain M4 style stock, a single point sling that i hated, left the JP trigger group and mag well on it.

I still think you were wrong about the whole thing though. For many reasons. The Form 1 that you filled out is an "Application to MAKE and register a..." You are making it. If you aren't, then you filled out the wrong form.

Also, this is from a "marking variances FAQ."

"Therefore, a manufacturer who is participating in any step of the manufacturing process must legibly identify each firearm or request an exception under Title 27 CFR § 478.92(a)(4)(i). These additional variances are extremely important because ATF must know all the parties involved in the complete manufacturing process so that an accurate and thorough trace can be performed by the National Tracing Center."

yes i get that alot here, but if someone who knows how to post pic's or scaned copies. PM the e-mail address and i will send them to you to post.

i am only saying what i did to get my sbr done then undone. just as the wife i am always wrong! ;)