Sizing a rifle stock

Guest Takeum

Guest Takeum

I was thinking of having my Savage Model 16 stock cut down and was wondering if anyone has ever thought of doing it themself? Is it even possible? Mine has the black composit stock and it's way too long for my liking... I was thinking of wacking off an inch or so.... Any help woul dbe appreciated before I ruin a good stock....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its possible but the plastic ones tend to be hollow, with a couple of places for screws for the recoil pad. If you cut it, you may have to cut the screws to be shorter (else they may go in deep and split or cut something), and if you take off too much (this varies by brand and so on) you get to a point where the pad will not fit and the screw holes are too short. Once you get past the holes, there is *nothing* there to screw into and you can never attach a pad the normal way again. Anyway, you should be able to do it but look at it close, measure an inch or so in to see what that leaves you for the screws and so on, see if it can be done. This sort of thing is much, much easier with wood!

I also suspect the plastic stock is hollow, so while shortening it isn't easy, it's not impossible either. What you'd need to do is carefully cut out the mounting plate for the butt pad. Then fit it to the shortened stock and glue it back in place.

Alternatively, you can consider replacing it with a "youth" sized stock (typically 1-2" shorter) or having one made with a custom length-of-pull.

Hmm the one I was looking at seem to be1 solid piece, I don't see a way to pull out a plate. Its just solid plastic and the screws go into 2 dowel rod looking protrusions that were moulded when the stock was formed, or so it seems. Mine must be a cheapo stock.

Hmm the one I was looking at seem to be1 solid piece, I don't see a way to pull out a plate. Its just solid plastic and the screws go into 2 dowel rod looking protrusions that were moulded when the stock was formed, or so it seems. Mine must be a cheapo stock.

They could all be solid, I really don't know (though that seems like a waste of plastic). If it is solid, you'd still need to modify the butt plate so it would fit the different profile after shortening. It may have a high density outer layer and is filled with a low density plastic.

Having looked a little, it seems that a youth sized stock can be had for $100. That might be worth the investment, in the event you want to change it back.

Guest Takeum

thanks guys... I took off the buttpad and looked at whats inside the Model 116 and it was hollow with 2 mounting holes like everyone stated... It looks as though maybe if I just took off an inch, I'd be okay... It's really not too too long. It's just I'm really particular about the way a rifle should fit me.. with cloths it only gets worse... So I'd like to either get another rifle stock with adjustable buttstock or just cut one to size.. I just don't understand why these gun makers don't make adjustable stocks these days with all the technology today... Sure would make my life easier... lol,,,

They could all be solid, I really don't know (though that seems like a waste of plastic). If it is solid, you'd still need to modify the butt plate so it would fit the different profile after shortening. It may have a high density outer layer and is filled with a low density plastic.

Having looked a little, it seems that a youth sized stock can be had for $100. That might be worth the investment, in the event you want to change it back.

Sorry that didnt come out right. 1 solid piece means it is just 1 piece. Its still hollow, see? Like a drinking cup is 1 solid piece of plastic, yet hollow too. Inside the hollow part are 2 "pegs" that the screws for the recoil pad go into, but those are just created by the mold that makes the stock, its still just the 1 piece. They do this because its a one step process to make the stocks. Making them adjustable means moving parts and a lot more process, which means more costs. Just like any other product, stuff sells better if the price seems fair so they cut corners to keep the prices down, both to max out profits and to keep it "reasonable" for the public. You can get adjustable stocks, but those cost quite a bit more...

Sorry that didnt come out right. 1 solid piece means it is just 1 piece. Its still hollow, see? Like a drinking cup is 1 solid piece of plastic, yet hollow too. Inside the hollow part are 2 "pegs" that the screws for the recoil pad go into, but those are just created by the mold that makes the stock, its still just the 1 piece. They do this because its a one step process to make the stocks. Making them adjustable means moving parts and a lot more process, which means more costs. Just like any other product, stuff sells better if the price seems fair so they cut corners to keep the prices down, both to max out profits and to keep it "reasonable" for the public. You can get adjustable stocks, but those cost quite a bit more...

Gotcha. The only rifle I own with a synthetic stock is an FAL. It has a low density filler inside a high density shell, but it also contains the recoil spring/tube. The synthetic stock on a bolt gun is obviously the "bargain" option and is manufactured as such.