Taurus PT92

Guest stevieb615

Guest stevieb615

So my father finally decided to venture into the wonderful world of handguns. His first purchase was a Taurus PT92 in the stainless finish that finally came in tonight. He brought it home for the first time today, pretty late after his night classes at college. Said he wanted to go shooting with me tomorrow so I decided to be a good son since he clothes me, feeds me, houses me and pays for my college, and I cleaned his gun for him (plus, I don't think he even knows how). First impressions: decent finish, not the best stainless finish i've seen but overall, it looks pretty good. I dove in and started cleaning away all the factory grease that was coated all over the gun. when i dug a little deeper, i started to see some machine work that definitely has me second guessing Taurus. There's one very small spur on the underside of the barrel, hidden from view by the locking lug. also, at the rear end of the barrel, it almost seems as if there's a finger print embedded in the metal right around the feed ramp. and there's one more spur down inside the frame next to the trigger spring. don't really know how I should feel about these things. Guess we'll see how she performs when we go shoot it tomorrow. Other than those points, it seems pretty solid.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

many inexpensive and even mid grade guns are not finished well inside. You see metal burrs and machine/tool marks etc. I knock off any burrs and let it go at that unless something is causing a problem; if the mess on your feed ramp causes feeding issues you can either polish it out or send it back to the factory and have them do it.

Guest stevieb615

The part on the barrel isn't actually on the feed ramp, so I'm not THAT worried about it, just around the feed ramp.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

I have a PT92, and it's been flawless for several years. It's not as well finished inside or outside from its Beretta cousin (which I also have,) but that's why it costs half as much. Have no fear, it's a great weapon, and he should be very happy with it.

Mac

Guest stevieb615

went and shot it today. did good. no FTF or FTE. Ate 150 rounds of dirty dirty magtech easy. pop's old fingers had a hard time loading those 17 round magazines. really liked that the front sight had a red dot painted on it, gave some nice contrast next to the 2 white rear dots. same old 92 trigger. it's very difficult for me to want to go shoot it since i had 100 rounds of .45 to put through my 1911 on the next lane, but i did. the gun is way more accurate that i am. overall, good gun. and cleaning is a breeze on that thing compared to my 1911.

On a side note, how do I convince On Target to provide me with my own personal fan for their range that gets so hot?

Guest smileyguy

I have the PT917, basically the same except it has a 4" barrel. Mine has been extremely reliable. I've put approximately 1100-1200 rounds down the pipe with 4 failures. Those 4 failures were between the 300-400 round count, and all 4 came from the same box of Sellier & Bellot ammo. That tells me it was the ammo and not the gun. My only beef with the Taurus is that they don't offer the 92 in a decocker only model. Been thinking about replacing her for that reason.