When bike riding and a dog attacks what can I do?

Guest nancy

Guest nancy

I bikeride in the spring,summer and fall, on our country roads, not a lot of traffic. In the past I have been chased by dogs, and bitten once(I did call the police but did not press charges). I tried to spray the dog that bit me with pepper spray but that proved impossible to get a headshot, he had a nice red spot on his side though. The spray did not spray far enough away from me and I only had a few tries. I thought perhaps Wasp and Hornet Spray, in a small can. That would be enough of a deterrant. But I cannot find this in a small can. My husband suggested I carry my .22 revolver with rat shot but as the dogs are running at me face to face, I do not want to shoot them directly in the face.

Can I legally shoot someone elses dog with birdshot if I am on a public road and feel threatened? Usually if I slow down and talk to the dogs they calm down and stop chasing me but sometimes this does not work.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs can be a real problem. I ride bikes a lot and I am the editor of my local bike club's newsletter, so I hear a lot of dog stories from other bicyclists, and I have several dog stories of my own.

A friend of mine hit a dog, crashed, broke his pelvis, had to have surgery, and could not ride a bike for two years. That dog was not being aggressive, but playful. It darted from the side of the road and my friend (who was an expert rider) had no time to react and crashed.

If the dog is aggressive and trying to attack, self defense is legal-- people often shoot aggressive dogs. If you are simply scared but the dog isn't really a threat (in a reasonable person's eyes / ie a jury) then I think shooting the animal would be overkill.

But-- as in my friend's case, the greatest danger to cyclists from dogs is probably not the bite, but the potential injuries from crashing. Keeping them from getting in front of your front wheel is the best anti-crash strategy.

Some folks advocate dismounting for aggressive dogs, holding the bike in between yourself and the animal as a barrier. There was a story a few years back about a bicyclist in Florida who was around 90 years old who saved a young biking woman from an attacking German Shepard- he dismounted and started whacking the dog with his bicycle, using the bike as a weapon. (He was a former Olympic cyclist, so he may have been kinda special).

Or, you could re-invent the velo dog revolver!!

From wikipedia.org:

The Velo-Dog was a Pocket pistol, a small type of revolver originally created in France in the late 1800s as a defense for cyclists on their velocipedes, who were likely to be set upon by large and ferocious dogs. For the more humanitarian, there were cartridges loaded with spice or salt. Surviving examples vary considerably in appearance, but all have certain features in common. All have short barrels and fired a type of .22 cartridge that is similar in appearance to a .22 Long Rifle, but of considerably lower power; this is itself referred to as a velo-dog. The hammer is shrouded to avoid it snagging on clothing so the weapon is double action only. Another unusual feature is the lack of a Trigger guard and a trigger that folds into the body of the gun, when not in use.

Guest nancy

"pedal faster"

sounds good but is definitely not a viable option, especially if there is more than one dog. Some dogs love to chase moving objects, that is why I slow down(and sometimes stop) and either yell at or talk to the dog, depending on their stances.

Nancy

Nancy, I love animals.....especially dogs (I have 9). I even trapped a baby possum that was getting into my ductwork and took it to a wildlife rehabilitator instead of shooting it! However, if an aggressive dog comes at me, I will not hesitate to shoot. I have 34 acres and I often go walking on the property. There have been several occasions that I have been approached by an aggressive dog. We have a lot of irresponsible pet owners out here that let their dogs run loose and breed.....resulting in many wild dogs running around. If I have time, I will shoot in front of or to the side of the dog (if you can do this safely).....the noise will usually scare them away.....and if that doesn't work, shoot them with your "ratshot". That won't kill them but it will more than likely make them go away. I'd load your 22 revolver with ratshot when you go bicycling....just for the dogs. But I'd also recommend that you have your 26 on you too for larger predators if needed! :D

Guest nancy

Yes, I believe I may start carrying my .22 in the future when I go cycling. Re: the Glock .26, I have never felt the need to have that kind of firepower. Tho one time I did approach a man on my bike, on his property, his three guards dogs came running out barking menacingly, I started screaming to my husband(who was so far away he did not hear me) and I had to use my bicycle as a shield. The owner said not one word to the dogs. I was very,very afraid. After a minute or two, the owner started talking and the dogs calmed down but I backed off the property still using the bike as a shield. To say the owner was unfriendly is an understatement, he obviously did not want anyone on his property.

Here is the code for killing an animal in self-defense, interpriation is up to you. I would note though that in a recent case where a subject was in a neighbor's yard to retrive his dog and was then attacked by his neigbor's dog and shot and killed one of them...the judge dropped all charges against him.

Also when I was reading gas meters we used wasp/hornet spray...it was fairly effective.

39-14-205 Intentional killing of animal.

a) (1) A person who intentionally or knowingly unlawfully kills the animal of another, with the intent to deprive the owner of the right to the animal's life and without the owner's effective consent commits theft of that animal and shall be punished under § 39-14-105.

(2)
In determining the value of a police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, service animal or police horse under § 39-14-105, the court shall consider the value of the police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, service animal or police horse as both the cost of the animal and any specialized training the animal received.

(:D A person is justified in killing the animal of another if the person acted under a reasonable belief that the animal was creating an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury to that person or another or an imminent danger of death to an animal owned by that person. A person is not justified in killing the animal of another if at the time of the killing the person is trespassing upon the property of the owner of the animal. The justification for killing the animal of another authorized by this subsection (:D shall not apply to a person who, while engaging in or attempting to escape from criminal conduct, kills a police dog that is acting in its official capacity. In that case the provisions of subsection (a) shall apply to the person.

Guest nancy

Have you ever seen mini cans of wasp&hornet spray? Bicyclers try to keep the weight load to a minimum, everything extra you must carry really adds up.

Years ago when I used to run or ride a bike, I would carry a squirt gun filled with vinegar. I only had to use it once but it definately stopped the dog but you have to get it in its eyes, (won't cause permanant damage).

I also used to get a spray in a small container they sold at the bike shop made especially for dogs. I had to use it several times and it always worked.

But now I carry pepper spray because the wonderful State of Tenn. will not let me carry a gun in a city park and I do most of my riding in one.

My preference is a 22oz framing hammer. When I was a cable contractor it never failed a large dog would show up barking mad at the bottom of the pole I was on. Well it doesn't take a Norton Bomb Sight but drop a well aimed hammer and they run with their tails tucked.

Guest jaypee

Fallguy,

What do the TCA's say about discharging a firearm on or from a public street, road, or highway? This could be a problem for a bicyclist riding on same who shoots at a dog in defense, depending on the wording of the statute and its interaction with TCA 39-14-205. Where I'm from it's a pretty big deal, but I haven't studied the Tennessee statute.

JayPee

Edited by jaypee
clarify wording
Fallguy,

What do the TCA's say about discharging a firearm on or from a public street, road, or highway? This could be a problem for a bicyclist riding on same who shoots at a dog in defense, depending on the wording of the statute and its interaction with TCA 39-14-205. Where I'm from it's a pretty big deal, but I haven't studied the Tennessee statute.

JayPee

AFAIK there is no state law that prohibits the discharge, in general, of a firearm from any location. That is why if you live outside the city limits you can go out in your backyard and shoot. But also I believe cities can enact ordnances about the discharge of firearms. The city I live in has an ordnance against the discharge of firearm in the city limits. However I don't think they would charge you if your fired one in defense of yourself.

Guest HexHead

Kimber Guardian Angel....

gardian%20angle.jpg

Kimber Guardian Angle Defense Spray This is simply the best Pepper Spray system available to consumers in the USA right now. The Guardian Angel can easily make all other pepper spray systems obsolete! It does not spray the pepper (OC) solution -- it shoots pepper spray,... and it shoots it real hard! The Guardian Angel is light and easy to carry either in the pocket or in the purse or clipped to a belt or a waistband. The best part about it is how easy it is to use. The secret is that the Guardian Angel shoots the pepper spray toward the attacker using its own pyrotechnic drive! You just pull the trigger and the pepper spray leaves the device with the amazing speed of 90 mph and flies toward the attacker's face with its every drop as angry as a baseball bat!!! WHAM!! The shot of Guardian Angel is so quick that it is impossible for the aggressor to dodge or block it. It is impossible to run away from it. The pepper Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) solution traveling with such a speed will shoot through a mask, around the glasses, through the clothing. Even a small portion is enough to provide the contamination. The pepper solution will embed inside skin pores. Eye and nasal passages will shut immediately, and skin will experience a painful burning sensation. Effects disable an aggressor for 30-40 minutes. You have 2 shots like this. Guardian Angel is always ready to fire with the same force, with the same speed, with the same precision - 1 year, 2 years or 3 years later. This makes Guardian Angel less expensive than some popular models of sprays because you do not have to replace it every 12 months as all other pepper sprays. ~~~ $39.95 ~~~ Not for sale in California.

Guest nancy

The above sounds interesting, though the "2 shots" do not sound like enough, especially with a moving dog running at/around you. I just read the following from a cyclers page, his thoughts on dealing with unruly dogs. He initially recommended HALT but said recently some dogs were not bothered by it, so he had to go up one step in self-defense.

"I have started carrying a stronger spray, which appears to work very well. The last time I encountered this mutt, he came in as usual, but very quickly lost all interest in me once this stuff hit him. It is "police strength" and thus much stronger than Halt!, and also more expensive. I would get the "stream" type rather than the "fogger", because the fogger will be much more easy to get over yourself and your equipment, also it will be more affected by the wind.

Basically any of the law-enforcement strength sprays should do the job, but after a little research I ordered from here: http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/sprays.htm "

Guest jcoyle6

What about the use of an ultra-sonic dog repellent? Something to clip to the frame maybe? Back in middle school I rigged a lighter for firecrackers to my bike when I used to bike out in MS. Obviously a little 'dog gun' would do the trick, but possibly this would work too? or attract every dog in the 'hood....?

http://www.1stlinesecurity.com/uldogrep.html

firstline_1988_6417979

Guest flyfishtn

I ride the road, and all I carry is my water bottle to fend off dogs. On had to put my between a dog and me and the dog lost. The bike makes a great weapon.