• Do you ever fear owning a gun
    • Do you often think about using your gun
    • Bought the gun for protection
    • Bought the gun some place like Wall Mart
    • Bought the gun off the streets
    • Guns do have some human conditioned stimulus's , inconic value
    • Fear crime a lot

Guest Questions

Hi, I have a few questions. If anyone would please answer them it would be appreciated.

.Are you Fearful of your guns.(to any degree)

.Proud of their guns.

.If they believe in alternatives for self defense .

.How much they fear crime .

.If they knew anyone else , know anyone else with a fire arm.(in real life, as in your brother or friend )

.Their location and type of location in which they live .(optional )

.How much they fear others owning a fire arm, different than the above fear question because this is fearing owning one, do you feel like you have to own one etc etc, do you fear the world you live in for having to own one ?(if ever)

.If they think about using it , and if so how often. (not as in thinking about shooting some random person but if they think about situations at random , "what if I do have to use it " Or if it sits on a self forgotten about.

.How lethal they believe their guns to be.

.How much in danger they believe their children to be. (parents with a fire arm)

.Why they bought the TYPE of gun that they did.

.How much they know about guns, how much time they invested into learning about guns.

.Where they purchased their guns. Wall Mart or like the streets?

.What they think of when they think about guns in general.

.What they think of when and if they ever identify the above thought with their gun.(if you do not understand the question skip it thank you)

.Do any of you believe that guns have any subconscious stimulus's created by society ? (if you do not understand skip it)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Questions

No No I do not want to get personal. I just want some honest answers. No one is being judged . These are basic questions. Please do not think I am here to fight I am here to report.

People here look at guns pretty much the way others look at cars. Some people get passionate about their car, others see them as transportation. Each maker has a fan club. Some people enjoy dressing up their cars and consider them a personal statement.

No one fantasizes about ramming his car into a school yard (OK, I'm sure someone does but it isnt common). Similarly no one is afraid he's going to be killed in a car crash, although that's a possibility we all acknowledge.

But additionally there is a political aspect to guns. No politician wants to restrict car ownership. No one looks askance at you at a party because you own a car. There is no constitutional right to car ownership.

So we own guns for a variety of reasons. But the one thing we all seem to agree on is that 1) we arent here to hurt anyone who isnt threatening us; 2) the further the gov't stays away from the dynamics of the gun business (including consumers) the better.

Guest EasilyObsessed

If this is seriously for a college report, then why do you have a number of grammatical mistakes?

Also, what specifically is this for? A thesis statement would be a good start.

Guest Questions

No politics , I am not arguing rights either. I hope it does not become that. Cars are used for transportation though, not to debate but I must point out that guns are used for shooting things. Some people must buy them to protect theirselves . I wonder if they ever think about "what if that time does come" Could I use the gun.

However I am reading your posts , thank you. Are you suggesting that people buy guns simply to collect here. Trophies for their money?

This is not about gun accidents either, its about the effect guns have on the mind. I will be honest, so that no one feels upset or angered. I am studying the effects on the mind from owning a fire arm

Thank you for your time. Peace, at least I truly hope for it. Remember, even if I did not agree with you, I am trying to understand you. I will try to be open minded and considerate to everyone here.

If this is seriously for a college report, then why do you have a number of grammatical mistakes?

Also, what specifically is this for? A thesis statement would be a good start.

This is not my paper it is research. I type papers with expectations.

I am a drifty person, I will make mistakes with the grammar, I am the one respecting your opinions for a paper, and I will present them as evidence, fact. Please respect me in return, I will not use any of this before asking you privately.

Edited by Questions
Guest Questions
I don't know if this will help with your paper, but ever since I purchased my first gun I have noticed a slight increase in my reading speed.

If not my paper, it is a very interesting observation on your behalf. If it relates I do not know , but everything can be looked into further. The question is if reading speed is a common factor. Or if I can logically connect reading speed to gun ownership. Not to judge you but to understand you , and find possibilities for that change in reading speed, speculation, but not proof. Thank you for the post

I am studying the effects on the mind from owning a fire arm.

HUH??????

Everything effects the mind in some way. Do you realize any changes ?

I am not saying its all negative, you obviously all enough fire arms,I know my audience. I am trying to understand the influence of a gun and things like that. LOL so hard to keep this together, after all I am a wolf in a bear's den.

Edited by Questions
Guest TNDixieGirl

I don't get it. The first choice is "Do you ever fear owning a gun?" So where's the yes or no answer we're supposed to choose?

Guest Questions
I don't get it. The first choice is "Do you ever fear owning a gun?" So where's the yes or no answer we're supposed to choose?

If you vote at all , then it is yes. If you do not then the question and significance of the question does not apply to you.

I appreciate my presentation critique but please do not let this get personal , I am not here to attack anyone, do not make me assume things that I should not about you. I am here in peace , if you are not getting upset then perhaps I am being mis lead but I feel rising tension.

Edited by Questions
Guest TNDixieGirl

OK, I'll play. Starting from your choices at the top.

Of course I don't fear guns. I don't fear cars or knives either. What I do fear is people that use any of the above tools in an irresponsible, illegal or dangerous manner.

I did all the thinking I needed to do about using my gun before I purchased it. Now my biggest thought about it is when to go target practicing so I'll be accurate enough should I be FORCED to use it.

Yes I bought it for protection. Maybe if I were a gun collector or sport shooter, I'd have a different reason.

No, I don't make it a habit to purchase anything from Wal-Mart that I hope saves my arse if need be. Wal-Mart is for groceries and household supplies.

What do you mean by "off the streets"? That conjures up images of the local drug dealer standing next to a hooker, and I avoid both.

Stimuli or iconic value? Have no clue what those have to do with gun ownership so I can't answer that one.

Is there anyone on this planet that doesn't fear crime? I do.

Guest TNDixieGirl

do not make me assume things that I should not about you. I am here in peace , if you are not getting upset then perhaps I am being mis lead but I feel rising tension.

No one can make you assume anything, that's done soley by you. And you're already making assumptions. I'm not tense in the least. I just don't understand your polling method if the only answer can be yes.

But you have my answers now so have a great day and good luck in your research! :rofl:

Guest gcrookston

go to this link: http://www.mycoincollecting.com/ This is much my attitude towards firearms (except I can't protect my property or person with a roll of Mercuries).

Numismatic or Coin Collecting is the science of coins under an economic, legislative, metrological and artistic point of view. It has a great importance in the whole Historical and Archaeological science; as a matter of fact into the peculiarity of a people or age the Coin holds a fundamental role: Numismatic has always reflected the political, economical, artistic and social trends of the time in which it developed.

Not to get personal, but one of my degrees is in Psychology and I do critiques of research projects. I can't see any beneficial data coming from this rather simplistic set of questions. If this is for research, the researcher needs to learn how to do it.

Where are you located. Your IP address says Canton, Ohio.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Mars, if you or any mods think my answers should not be there, feel free to delete my post. It won't offend me in the least.

Good grief, psychology??? I'm surprised you haven't counseled me into a rubber room by now.

Yeah, not too many folks out there with degrees in Electrical Engineering, Psychology and Philosophy. I guess I'm either a very concrete abstract thinker or an abstract concrete thinker.

Nothing wrong with him asking questions, I just don't want our folks wasting time if there is no reason.

Guest Questions
Not to get personal, but one of my degrees is in Psychology and I do critiques of research projects. I can't see any beneficial data coming from this rather simplistic set of questions. If this is for research, the researcher needs to learn how to do it.

Where are you located. Your IP address says Canton, Ohio.

Im not here to share my better ideas with you, I am here to ask a few questions, and I am here to get a few answers. I see no harm in it either. This is not a paper presented in front of you. The fact you critique research papers is almost irrelevant because this, it is a path , whether or not it dead ends is up to me in the long run. Speculating on the side lines is distasteful especially if you are a professional scientist. This is simply a path, a part of research , this is not a conclusion.

People have laughed at methods, individuals , and ideas in science before. The end results are at the end of the race , and who comes in first and who comes in last is decided there , sir.

I do see benefit, if you want to see the paper when it is finished I will share it with you.

No politics , I am not arguing rights either. I hope it does not become that. Cars are used for transportation though, not to debate but I must point out that guns are used for shooting things. Some people must buy them to protect theirselves . I wonder if they ever think about "what if that time does come" Could I use the gun.

However I am reading your posts , thank you. Are you suggesting that people buy guns simply to collect here. Trophies for their money?

This is not about gun accidents either, its about the effect guns have on the mind. I will be honest, so that no one feels upset or angered. I am studying the effects on the mind from owning a fire arm

Thank you for your time. Peace, at least I truly hope for it. Remember, even if I did not agree with you, I am trying to understand you. I will try to be open minded and considerate to everyone here.

This is not my paper it is research. I type papers with expectations.

I am a drifty person, I will make mistakes with the grammar, I am the one respecting your opinions for a paper, and I will present them as evidence, fact. Please respect me in return, I will not use any of this before asking you privately.

To truly and objectively discover what kind of psychological effects which a gun may have on your mind, I would suggest that you buy one for yourself and report about that.

I can't believe that citing an online forum as a resource is acceptable nowadays... you have no control over the accuracy of the statements.

Open-minded and considerate is a good start... lose the attitude of us as being on display for your psychoanalyzation, and we'll get along beautifully. We don't mind answering questions, but please realize that we are adults and prefer to participate in discussions which are subject driven... not 20-questions fed to us like a shot-pattern, going in all directions. Post each question in an individual thread, with some background from yourself, state your own opinion, and watch an interesting discussion develop... we eagerly welcome you to do that.

Studying a public forum is not research... Just like it would not be 'news' if Channel 5 did a story on someone's personal account of an event posted in a thread here. But, contrasting our opinions with your own will make for an interesting paper, I'm sure. So I hope you will let us read it, too.