Another ND

Guest bkelm18
I'm a little paranoid about ND since my gun doesn't possess a mechanical safety so I don't ride with one in the chamber. I am gambling that like a pump shotgun hopefully the sound of racking a chamber will dispel someone's courage enough that I won't have to use. I have drilled to decrease the amount of time necessary to bring it to shot readiness and fully understand the circumstances where this practice could cost me a significant tactical advantage up to and including death but until I upgrade firearm I feel this to be the safest course of action to prevent ND.

That's a pretty huge gamble but it sounds like you understand the risks involved.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you're OK.

Maybe I'm overly anal-retentive, but it sounds like you were putting the pistol in the door pocket without a holster - I never place a loaded pistol anywhere outside of a holster. Something to think about.

Glad you're OK.

Maybe I'm overly anal-retentive, but it sounds like you were putting the pistol in the door pocket without a holster - I never place a loaded pistol anywhere outside of a holster. Something to think about.

This is also something I try to do as well. Whatever carry gun I am using a particular day, I always try to have my "storage" holster in my bag. I use those cheap nylon ones that also have an extra mag spot . You know the ones with a metal clip on the side...they aren't much good for wear, but perfect for those times when you are caught out, like at a school or somewhere you cant carry and have to leave it in the vehicle. Not as good as a vehicle safe, but better than unsheathed ...

Edited by barewoolf
Guest GunTroll

Like everyone else said...glad no one including yourself was hurt. If you learned something from this, your doing right.

I myself have had a ND a few years ago. With my trade I am constantly around firearms. Most of which aren't mine. Complacency is my worst enemy. My ND happened with one of my own rifles however. It was a Henry Golden boy 22LR. Without typing up a paragraph or two of what went down...it was clearly my fault and I am very glad I was at a range with the muzzle pointed down range. I'm very lucky no one was struck. Scared the crap out of me as well as 20-30 other people. To say the least I felt very very silly.

Thanks for sharing your story so we can also learn from your experience.

Because the bullet traveled through the wall into where she was sleeping and I had not known it somehow managed to deflect up into the ceiling. All I saw was a straight line at bed level and heard no sound from her or the dog for a few seconds.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Because the bullet traveled through the wall into where she was sleeping and I had not known it somehow managed to deflect up into the ceiling. All I saw was a straight line at bed level and heard no sound from her or the dog for a few seconds.

Yah, I know, was a joke...

Several years ago I had a ND with a Llama .380. It was strictly me, not gun. I had been drinking and got careless, just missed my big toe. I wasn't drunk, just a couple of beers, but it was enough to make me careless. I never handle guns if imbibing now,and I rarely drink anymore. I never carry after drinking. You must always stay alert when handling guns and always assume worst case scenario.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest Zombie-Hunter

Some of this can be blamed on the stupid state laws, making us disarm in situations through out the day. I know every time I disarm and leave the firearm in my jeep (which isn't anything like a safe) I think to myself wonder who just watched me place this here.

Yet another reason the 1911 is the best designed handgun in history....... :)

Guest Victor9er
Yet another reason the 1911 is the best designed handgun in history....... :cool:

Riiiiiiight. Because something like that could never happen with a 1911....

:)

Guest Zombie-Hunter

LMAO Sorry Ima going to chalk that one up to playing stupid games..... But seriously chances of a 1911 discharging from car trash getting in a trgger guard are wayyyy wwwaayyyy lower than any other handgun design in the last 100 yrs.

Guest Victor9er
LMAO Sorry Ima going to chalk that one up to playing stupid games..... But seriously chances of a 1911 discharging from car trash getting in a trgger guard are wayyyy wwwaayyyy lower than any other handgun design in the last 100 yrs.

Why? Because the 1911 trigger guard is so vastly superior to anything else? :)

Last I checked, if there's a bullet in the chamber and you (or anything) pull the trigger, a 1911 will go BANG also. It would be foolish to think otherwise, and equally foolish to rely on any sort of "safety" in the same situation (stuffing it into a car pocket). Do everyone a favor, holster that puppy.

Edited by Victor9er
Guest TresOsos
Why? Because the 1911 trigger guard is so vastly superior to anything else? :)

Last I checked, if there's a bullet in the chamber and you (or anything) pull the trigger, a 1911 will go BANG also. It would be foolish to think otherwise, and equally foolish to rely on any sort of "safety" in the same situation (stuffing it into a car pocket). Do everyone a favor, holster that puppy.

Well lets see, first you have to manually depress and disengage the thumb saftey, second you must disengage the drip safety with positive pressure. You can apply pressure all day long to a 1911 trigger, if is working properly it won't go off unless the above 2 condition are met. Not saying a ND like this could not happen with a 1911 but it would less likely than with a safe action type of trigger.

Guest TresOsos

Gosh the whole interznet, even here on this forum has been blaming this on the Serpa Holster of Death, it was clearly operator error, but no one till now has tried to blame it on the 1911s Multipule Safety System.

Guest Victor9er
Gosh the whole interznet, even here on this forum has been blaming this on the Serpa Holster of Death, it was clearly operator error, but no one till now has tried to blame it on the 1911s Multipule Safety System.

Odd, I don't recall blaming anything on the 1911 "multiple safety system" I was merely pointing out that it's foolish to think that your 1911 is safe from a negligent discharge. Anyone who learns to rely on a "safety" is, IMHO, just another ND waiting to happen. Proper precautions and safe practice habits are your best prevention methods, not saying "I can stuff my loaded gun into a pocket full of junk because it's a 1911, it'll be ok."

Yes, the video I linked to was operator error... that's what a ND is, operator error. The operator being negligent in the handling of their firearm. Thus ANY gun is susceptible to operator error. The more careless the operator, the greater the chance of a ND regardless of the model of gun.

Negligent Discharge: a discharge of a firearm involving culpable carelessness.

Here's what happened in that video. Prior to the incident, he was using a different gun with a different holster. That holster had a thumb lever release. When he switched to the 1911, he was using the Serpa holster. As he went to pull the gun out, he had his thumb where the release was at on the previous holster, and thus accidentally switched off the thumb safety on the 1911. That, along with the combination of the Serpa holster's release, contributed to his ND.

With all that said, the ND would not have happened if he had not had his finger on the trigger as he was drawing. (again, safe practice methods, NOT relying on your safety to be on) In that case the thumb safety was ineffective, because it was switched off. Also, the drip safety was ineffective because he applied the proper pressure to the trigger. Both of those can easily happen in the situation that the OP found himself in. If something catches that safety and flips it off, all it takes is for the proper pressure to be applied to the trigger at the right angle. The same can be said for any "safe-action" trigger system as well.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue what gun is the safest here. I'm pointing out that a ND can easily happen with a 1911 as well, and to think otherwise is a foolish mistake that I hope you never have prove you wrong.

Guest Victor9er
Well not to sidetrack you on which gun is safer. My son brought me a little something this morning, I about busted a gut. He brought me a bandaid decal to go on my trucks boo boo.:bow::bow::)

Nice!

:bow:

Guest TresOsos
Odd, I don't recall blaming anything on the 1911 "multiple safety system" I was merely pointing out that it's foolish to think that your 1911 is safe from a negligent discharge. Anyone who learns to rely on a "safety" is, IMHO, just another ND waiting to happen. Proper precautions and safe practice habits are your best prevention methods, not saying "I can stuff my loaded gun into a pocket full of junk because it's a 1911, it'll be ok."

Yes, the video I linked to was operator error... that's what a ND is, operator error. The operator being negligent in the handling of their firearm. Thus ANY gun is susceptible to operator error. The more careless the operator, the greater the chance of a ND regardless of the model of gun.

Negligent Discharge: a discharge of a firearm involving culpable carelessness.

Here's what happened in that video. Prior to the incident, he was using a different gun with a different holster. That holster had a thumb lever release. When he switched to the 1911, he was using the Serpa holster. As he went to pull the gun out, he had his thumb where the release was at on the previous holster, and thus accidentally switched off the thumb safety on the 1911. That, along with the combination of the Serpa holster's release, contributed to his ND.

With all that said, the ND would not have happened if he had not had his finger on the trigger as he was drawing. (again, safe practice methods, NOT relying on your safety to be on) In that case the thumb safety was ineffective, because it was switched off. Also, the drip safety was ineffective because he applied the proper pressure to the trigger. Both of those can easily happen in the situation that the OP found himself in. If something catches that safety and flips it off, all it takes is for the proper pressure to be applied to the trigger at the right angle. The same can be said for any "safe-action" trigger system as well.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue what gun is the safest here. I'm pointing out that a ND can easily happen with a 1911 as well, and to think otherwise is a foolish mistake that I hope you never have prove you wrong.

You're right you can have a ND with any firearm, I have trouble with the discharge on that video being even called negligent. He deliberately disengaged the safety{s) and pulled the trigger. More a deliberate discharge gone bad.

The fact that is pertinent to this thread is that with a proper functioning 1911 the chances of the type of ND that happened to dralarms would have been less likely to happen with a cocked and locked 1911. Not impossible, less likely.

I hope every one here thinks and practices safety first,last and always.

You're right you can have a ND with any firearm, I have trouble with the discharge on that video being even called negligent. He deliberately disengaged the safety{s) and pulled the trigger. More a deliberate discharge gone bad.

The fact that is pertinent to this thread is that with a proper functioning 1911 the chances of the type of ND that happened to dralarms would have been less likely to happen with a cocked and locked 1911. Not impossible, less likely.

I hope every one here thinks and practices safety first,last and always.

That I have to disagree with. Where my hand was, if something hit the safety, the grip safety was already disengaged so that it would have gone off anyway.

And those of you that are suggesting a holster. I have learned my lesson. I am getting a holster for the truck.

Guest nysos
This is also something I try to do as well. Whatever carry gun I am using a particular day, I always try to have my "storage" holster in my bag. I use those cheap nylon ones that also have an extra mag spot . You know the ones with a metal clip on the side...they aren't much good for wear, but perfect for those times when you are caught out, like at a school or somewhere you cant carry and have to leave it in the vehicle. Not as good as a vehicle safe, but better than unsheathed ...

I am actually using one of those for my m&p40c, lmao. I had it for the same reason you mentioned, as a storage holster for a different gun, and I didn't have a holster at the time for my m&p, so I figured - lets see how this fits.....hey, actually quite well. I flipped the clip around and use it IWB, wouldn't be any good for a larger gun but for a compact its not too shabby. I have been trouble finding an IWB that is leather that fits my m&p40c well, so until I can find one the cheap nylon desantis I have is working pretty well lol.

I was actually going to suggest to the OP to get a holster that at least clips on, when I remove my gun I generally don't unholster it. I will unclip my entire holster and lock it up in my glove box when I have to leave the gun behind.

I know it's not the right choice for everyone or for every gun, but this makes me appreciate my Remora holster that much more. I can disarm without the firearm ever leaving the holster, and rearm without having to slip it back in the holster. The whole thing, gun+holster, always stays together. Same as what nysos describes, but without having to work a belt clip.