Got permit today, thoughts racing

Guest tnalways4me

Guest 270win

Think violent felony, crime of violence, forcible felony, etc. The words are not in the statutes here but they are in other states when it comes to justifiable homicide. Murder, Rape, robbery, burglary, carjacking (which is a form of robbery), kidnapping, are all crimes of violence/forcible felonies and generally justify deadly force in response to such threat. I'm not talking about someone stealing a six pack of beer or pack of cigs and running out of a store. This is all bad stuff i'm talking about as in someone walks up to you with a knife or gun and wants your money or car. Self preservation you or him situation. If it's not that you need to run, even though Tennessee doesn't require it. Running is the best thing and avoids bad situations that can get worse. If you can run always run and get away from shady people. It is better to run than to shoot someone, even if it is legal. Avoiding problems is always the best on the mind and pocket book.

Edited by 270win
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnalways4me
If it's not that you need to run, even though Tennessee doesn't require it. Running is the best thing and avoids bad situations that can get worse. If you can run always run and get away from shady people. It is better to run than to shoot someone, even if it is legal. Avoiding problems is always the best on the mind and pocket book.

Yeah, that is true. I am not looking to just straight up start running away (unless I have to), since I try to stay away from good places to get robbed. It is a very good option and one that can be employed with any type of short range threat.

On a lighter note, I got my Desantis Intruder IWB holster for Glock 19 just a second ago, the UPS man did me well!. My old Blackhawk paddle holster was really nice, but it stuck out like a sore thumb even when I wore a baggy shirt since I am super tall and skinny. This IWB Intruder was the one I chose over the Supertuck mainly because I didn't want to wait 4 weeks. Either way the Intruder is amazing. You cannot see my gun at all on my person. It feels so comfortable I don't feel like I have anything on. The Blackhawk is great for range or open carry, but I must say my first impression of this large Intruder IWB holster is it ROCKS!

There is no definition of it in the statutes, so your HCP instructor was simply giving you his.

Actually there is...

39-11-106(a)(34) "Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury that involves:

(A)
A substantial risk of death;

(
:)
Protracted unconsciousness;

©
Extreme physical pain;

(D)
Protracted or obvious disfigurement;

(E)
Protracted loss or substantial impairment of a function of a bodily member, organ or mental faculty; or

(F)
A broken bone of a child who is eight (8) years of age or less;
Guest rsgillmd
All I can really say is be aware, be prepared and resolve yourself to the fact that if a BG forces a situation, that you want to be the one going home.

On the mental side of being aware and prepared, I tend to do like when I'm riding the bike (or could be like when you play baseball) evaluate your surondings and think about "if this happens, I should do this....."

+1 to Fallguy's comments.

I've always had a decent degree of situational awareness from my work in EMS (they drill scene safety into you). But since taking my HCP class I also think to myself whenever I walk into a new location: Where are the exits? Does my cell phone have adequate reception here to call for help? Are there any choke points in the location that pose a particular danger?

I haven't gone to the range in a couple of months now for a variety of reasons, but I still drill at home with an unloaded gun -- basics: drawing from a holster and obtaining sight picture.

It is definitely a huge responsibility, as you rightfully understand. I did my conscience debate before taking the class, because as a physician my instinct is to save lives. But since I will only be shooting if I fear for my well being, I'd rather be the one going home. The class confirmed my decision. My mental plan is, if I shoot and manage to stop the attacker but not kill him, I would try to help resuscitate him if I could ensure he no longer posed a danger to me. If say he is down, but still has a gun in his hand, I will wait until the cops arrive to make the scene safe. The point isn't so much my general plan, but that I have rehearsed a plan already.

I also carry pepper spray on me, even if I'm carrying my gun. Most places I go, I cannot guarantee that my bullet won't go through my attacker and hit a bystander behind him, or miss him altogether and hit an innocent bystander to the side.

I need to practice drawing more too. An instructor suggested that I pick up some snap-caps for home practice. Is there any point in that? I know it provides a surface for the firing pin to strike, but I've also been told that dry firing won't hurt a modern firearm. Normally, I'm using striker fired arms (Springer XD, Kahr PM9), but also have a Walther P-22* that my wife likes to use (and needs to practice more with). Does that make a difference in the use of snap-caps?

Which advice is is correct, and does striker vs. hammer make a difference?

*I'd rather her carry something larger, but it's her choice. I'd rather she take the Walther with CCI Stingers than nothing at all.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest skinner

I am particularly enjoying this thread because I am expecting my permit in the next week or two. I have wondered about many of the questions asked and answered here; so, thanks for the help and encouragement. I am a relative nubie too, having gotten my 1st handgun just over 2 months ago.

I have been breaking in my holster at home and just last night was the first time that I carried it loaded around the house; it was interesting how much more heightened my awarness was . . . even just at home.

Actually there is...

39-11-106(a)(34) "Serious bodily injury" means bodily injury that involves:

Doh, I've even read that before, was thinking it was some case law opinion.

Thanks for keeping me on track thar FG, as always. :D

Personally, "extreme physical pain" will be hopefully at the farthest limit, and I'd rather stop things on "imminent danger of death", which at my age I think would be much easier to justify than in my robust 20's and 30's . :)

- OS

I found myself always looking at new people walking in and out of restaurants/stores. I also pick a seat which can see the doors the best. You will often find yourself doing the "search and assess" before leaving and getting back into your car! You will also find yourself very uncomfortable if you are unable to carry when you really get used to it. Such as me still attending college.

I need to practice drawing more too. An instructor suggested that I pick up some snap-caps for home practice. Is there any point in that? I know it provides a surface for the firing pin to strike, but I've also been told that dry firing won't hurt a modern firearm. Normally, I'm using striker fired arms (Springer XD, Kahr PM9), but also have a Walther P-22* that my wife likes to use (and needs to practice more with). Does that make a difference in the use of snap-caps?

Which advice is is correct, and does striker vs. hammer make a difference?...

Endless debate, no real absolute evidence one way or the other on most guns.

XD's in particular have somehow gotten an (in my opinion) undeserved rep for breaking striker retaining pin, yet some most all who have tested have tried a thousand dry fires with no ill effects. A one dollar part and easily replaced, yet of course a nagging thought.

Ruger flatly states that all their weapons can be safely dry fired, etc.

Obviously, if you want to take away any nagging doubt on any gun, use snap caps, or a discharged brass. Easy enough in revolvers, and many striker semi autos (including XDs) can be recocked without actually drawing back slide enough to eject shell.

- OS

The biggest way to keep yourself from becoming a victim is the way you carry yourself. If you are not confident and aware the bad guys will notice. They are looking for those who they can use surprize in order to have the upper hand. Now if you are confident and at least appear aware the bad guys are likely going to pass. Always be aware of where you are and your surroundings. I always have my head on a swivel. I make mental notes of where I am and constantly running scenarios through my head.

Something else, buy some of the Magpul Dynamic videos. Most of the critical training can be done in your living room or in your yard without firing a single shot. Muscle memory is the key to anything so the more you do something the easier it will be to do under stress. I have practiced mag changes as well as practiced drawing my EDC gun while watching television. I will tell myself the next person wearing say blue is a bad guy or the next blonde person on the screen is a bad guy. Helps with awareness as well as inducing a little bit of stress to the situation as you try to draw and fire before they leave the screen again.

Another, cheaper, option is to look on Youtube. There are plenty of decent tutorials to help you get the basics down.

And finally remember slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Don't expect to start out going 100 miles and hour, slowly build up to your top speed but above all else make sure you are doing it safely and correctly.

Dolomite

I was in your shoes a little over a year ago when I started into the Handgun Carry lifestyle. I experienced some of the same thoughts and fears. Take your time, read some good authors on the subject and get educated, get training once or twice a year as you can afford it, ask folks on forums when you have questions, and remember that there are varying opinions on that which is not clear-cut law. It will take a little time, but I can almost guarantee you that this time next year you will have a new confidence and mindset based on logic, historical examples in books, experience from training, time carrying and time spent pondering.

I couldn't agree more with Miracle. Practice the basics ad-nauseum. Excellence doesn't come from fancy tricks or exquisite methods. It comes from doing the basics repeatedly, in a proper fashion until you can do them flawlessly every single time. When that happens, speed will occur naturally as a byproduct. That's true about most things in life.

I can also recommend that you go to some local shooting matches. You will learn a lot by doing that, will gain insight to your particular challenges to overcome, you'll get realistic practice and you will have a lot of FUN. And keeping it fun is important. You have a higher probability of shooting thousands of matches and making new friends than you do of having to draw your firearm in self defense. But should that occur, you will be as ready as you can be.

Guest DJBiker

I don't know about anyone else, but when I started carrrying, I also started having dreams that my ammo had no effect on the bad guys, the bullets would drip out the end of the gun, stuff like that. Weird!

Guest G22DaD
Basics man... basics. Think of it like the military taught me. You can't expect to shoot/kill someone for anything less than a life threatening event. Which is why you shouldn't just carry a gun. I'm not saying to go all commando and have a whole duty belt. Carry a knife... something. You have to answer force with as little force as nessecary to eliminate the threat.

That's where this whole "Self defense mindset" stuff I talked about (I first heard that concept from a guy named Massad Ayoob... you may have heard of him) in my last few posts comes in. Knowing/recognizing a threat, and knowing what you have to do to eliminate that threat. That's where the mindset comes in... knowing what you have to do, before you have to do it to survive.

^^This^^ Agreed, whole heartedly!

Also, train, train TRAIN!! Go to the range. Look into more advanced classes. Go to the range. Read books. Go to the range.

Get some snap caps and train at home when going to the range isn't an option at the time (after all, it does cost money). Practice your draw, controlling your arc of motion; coming to your natural point of aim, trigger control/press. Train, train, TRAIN!! You can't do it too much!!

Its alot like driving man, when you first get your license you creep down the street thinking that around every corner is a cop with a radar gun ant a ticket with your name on it. After a while you find yourself out on some back road infront of my house doing a burnout and dragracing your friends........what im trying to say is just carry it and enjoy the freedom cause after a while it will be second nature, you will have the same verbal checklist i have before i leave my house everyday

Cell phone...

Keys....

wallet...

Gun...

off ya go....welcome to the club be safe

RE: Dryfire

Follow your manufactures recommendations.

I know that with Glock and 1911 you can dry fire without snap caps until your fingers fall off.

With Kel-tec, something the design supposedly Will cause firing pin damage so I use snap caps with them.

Practicing draw and getting a sight picture is WAY more important than going to the range and popping holes in the paper.

Try doing Dryfire practice at least 3 times a week and you will improve tons.

Guest tnalways4me

Did my wally world walk the second day I had the permit. It was quite exciting, but I have a very concealable IWB holster. thanks for the tips holmes