Got permit today, thoughts racing

Guest tnalways4me

Guest tnalways4me

After waiting 17 days I received my HCP today. :lol:

After shooting for a little over 6 months now, I never really thought twice about my willingness to use my weapon for self defense.

Well, I carried for the first time today and the reality actually hit me. I was thinking about the type of situation that could possibly arise. I know that if I was in life threatening danger I would have the guts to do the right thing, not only for myself and my loved ones, but for any other innocent people that could possibly be involved with me. But being completely honest, the thought frightened me.

Tell me your opinions on how you felt when you first began carrying. How do you prepare yourself mentally to do the right thing if need be?

I knew what I was getting myself into when I got this firearm and that I should not consider carrying if I do not think I can do what is necessary. As a rookie, I just have thoughts racing through my head and am looking for some wise words from experienced members in the CCW community.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the club. Done your Wally Walk yet?

Seriously, carry as often as you can, get all the training that you can (and afford), and be be situationally aware at all times.

If you conceal carry, don't worry. Most people don't notice and most of those that do, won't care.

If you open carry, don't worry. Most people don't notice and most of those that do, won't care.

Guest Miracle

What you are talking about is something that really cannot be taught, or really even passed on from one person to another. To know that you have the capability to take a life at a moments notices brings with it a HUGE responsibility. But as for the mindset part, you have to realize one simple thing that I have always held to, being in Iraq in a combat situation.

No matter what happens, you have got to remember that when the **** hits the fan, ask yourself this. "Who is going home?"

Of course you cannot just pull your gun on anybody that "bothers" you. You have got to be threatened with loss of life. And when that moment happens, if it happens (God willing, it never does), then if you properly train your mind, train yourself in the self defense mindset, then if that moment ever happens, it will be a force of habit to do what you know you have to survive and go home to your family.

Guest tnalways4me
Welcome to the club. Done your Wally Walk yet?

Seriously, carry as often as you can, get all the training that you can (and afford), and be be situationally aware at all times.

If you conceal carry, don't worry. Most people don't notice and most of those that do, won't care.

No Wally Walk yet, but I did go into Subway! LOL

Training.. noted. Will need to do more of that. I shoot once or twice a month. I got a great IWB holster and am prepared.

Guest tnalways4me
What you are talking about is something that really cannot be taught, or really even passed on from one person to another. To know that you have the capability to take a life at a moments notices brings with it a HUGE responsibility. But as for the mindset part, you have to realize one simple thing that I have always held to, being in Iraq in a combat situation.

No matter what happens, you have got to remember that when the **** hits the fan, ask yourself this. "Who is going home?"

Of course you cannot just pull your gun on anybody that "bothers" you. You have got to be threatened with loss of life. And when that moment happens, if it happens (God willing, it never does), then if you properly train your mind, train yourself in the self defense mindset, then if that moment ever happens, it will be a force of habit to do what you know you have to survive and go home to your family.

Ah, I am glad I got some sound advice from a veteran. That was something I was truly hoping for. You are right and I figured I would get a response similar to above. It is not something that can be taught or passed on, it is something that cannot be practiced. It is not something I actually thought about until I had the gun on my hip!

Guest Miracle

I think the best way I can say it is like this. Don't worry what people think about you carrying. Don't worry about what you are going to do if anything ever happens to where you actually have to use a weapon such as a handgun. Train yourself/have someone teach you the basics... Sight picture, sight alignment, and target recognition/acquisition. Once you have those basics, you can grow from there.

The key to doing anything right when it comes to something like muscle memory, consistently, is to do it the right way, continuously. Speed doesn't matter. Just make sure you do it the correct way.

Trust me... I haven't been carrying as a civilian long either. But I do speak from experience here. Go to the range. Shoot. Practice drawing an empty weapon and acquiring a target. Then do it again. And again. I know I'm starting to repeat myself here... but do it, and you will understand what I am talking about. I'm not a professional speed or accuracy shooter. But I can promise you. If you freeze or fumble when it matters the most, and most (maybe an overstatement) people will do just that, you will be injured or killed. You have got to have the mindset of, "I have to shoot/maim/kill this guy, to go home to my family tonight" to survive. And that is what I am talking about when I say that something like that cannot be taught. You have got to come to that conclusion in your own conscience.

Guest nashvegas

You will come to realize that carrying brings with it a greater responsibility in how you conduct yourself. You will notice that your awareness of your surroundings is heightened. Hopefully, you will realize the need to avoid conflict. Personally, I have avoided conflict my whole life, so nothing new there for me, but with a weapon on your hip, should you find yourself in a bad situation and you have the ability to diffuse it by any other means, do so. You do not want to use your weapon unless absolutely necessary, but you have to be ready to, and not hesitate should that time come.

You will find yourself thinking about what you might do in different situations, and your answers will likely evolve over time.

As Miracle stated: "What you are talking about is something that really cannot be taught, or really even passed on from one person to another."

Edited by nashvegas
Guest tnalways4me
You will come to realize that carrying brings with it a greater responsibility in how you conduct yourself. You will notice that your awareness of your surroundings is heightened. Hopefully, you will realize the need to avoid conflict.

I realized that after one hour of carrying. I also realized I need more practice. I want to be 100% confident in my ability to handle my firearm and have full confidence in my decision making.

The latter is what I am really worried about... making the right decision when something bad arises, which would leave pulling my gun an absolute last resort. I am young and live downtown Nashville and to be honest there is crime everywhere out here. I know that after a while of walking to and from work downtown, something could arise (the reason I got the gun in the first place). Practicing safe decision making is equally important to me as firearm handling skill.

Edited by tnalways4me
Guest Miracle

Basics man... basics. Think of it like the military taught me. You can't expect to shoot/kill someone for anything less than a life threatening event. Which is why you shouldn't just carry a gun. I'm not saying to go all commando and have a whole duty belt. Carry a knife... something. You have to answer force with as little force as nessecary to eliminate the threat.

That's where this whole "Self defense mindset" stuff I talked about (I first heard that concept from a guy named Massad Ayoob... you may have heard of him) in my last few posts comes in. Knowing/recognizing a threat, and knowing what you have to do to eliminate that threat. That's where the mindset comes in... knowing what you have to do, before you have to do it to survive.

Guest tnalways4me
Basics man... basics. Think of it like the military taught me. You can't expect to shoot/kill someone for anything less than a life threatening event. Which is why you shouldn't just carry a gun. I'm not saying to go all commando and have a whole duty belt. Carry a knife... something. You have to answer force with as little force as nessecary to eliminate the threat.

That's where this whole "Self defense mindset" stuff I talked about (I first heard that concept from a guy named Massad Ayoob... you may have heard of him) in my last few posts comes in. Knowing/recognizing a threat, and knowing what you have to do to eliminate that threat. That's where the mindset comes in... knowing what you have to do, before you have to do it to survive.

Right, the point of my previous post was what decisions can I make that leave pulling a gun out a absolute last resort. I have heard the name Massad Ayood floating around these forums. I am new to the whole self defense mentality and would love some good articles or techniques

This why the vast majority of people who carry legally are very nice people. We go to great lengths to avoid deadly conflicts, because we are aware of the incredible responsibility that goes with carrying a deadly weapon.

All I can really say is be aware, be prepared and resolve yourself to the fact that if a BG forces a situation, that you want to be the one going home.

On the mental side of being aware and prepared, I tend to do like when I'm riding the bike (or could be like when you play baseball) evaluate your surondings and think about "if this happens, I should do this....."

Guest 270win

These are some of my thoughts. I was around guns at a young age and given a handgun at 18 to carry/keep in my car where this practice is legal without any sort of license and also when I hunted and went in the woods. By the time I got a license I had already been carrying a gun when I felt the need or wanted to.

I would make sure I get a good quality holster that will hide my gun and is comfortable. You'll want to dress around your gun and holster rig. If you are constantly messing with your rig, that is not good. You may need another holster and/or gun combination to better fit your mode of dress. Sometimes downsizing to a compact, subcompact, or smaller guns is good. I carry a snub revolver because I can carry it in a couple different holsters in my pocket or ankle and no one can find it unless I pass through a metal detector. I got tired of trying to carry a larger gun because it was uncomfortable to carry long periods of time for work.

Practice as much as possible. If you don't have a 22 handgun, get one so that you'll practice more.

Guest tnalways4me

Ah, day number two of carrying. My IWB desantis intruder is supposed to get delivered today and I cannot wait. I hope they don't required a signature because I am working till 5.

I have been browsing some articles by Massad and I like his style. He is right when it comes to the attitude and mentality. I think the aspect of carrying that frightened me the most was what if I am threatened and I make the wrong decision? There are no second chances or oops my bad's when it comes to pulling a gun. That stark reality really got my heart pumping yesterday when I had my glock on my hip.

I really need to practice my draw and how I would handle myself in case of emergency. Back to reading/work ;)

Guest Miracle

The thing you have got to remember when considering deadly force is this right here.

Are you legitimately scared for your life? The state of Tennessee says to use a weapon of deadly force, you have to be threatened with life ending issues. Like I said in my last post, only you will know when that moment comes,black if it ever does. And trust someone that has been there... you'll know, and you'll know rather quickly. When it happens it will be pure reaction, and adrenaline. As long as your training tells you what is a significant threat, and your reasonable conscience tells you that your life is in danger, you'll be fine.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

....The state of Tennessee says to use a weapon of deadly force, you have to be threatened with life ending issues. ,,,

Nope. You've said this twice.

Statute reads "The person has a reasonable belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury".

- OS

I've discovered that when I'm carrying, I tend to keep my mouth shut at times where I would open it if I didn't have a gun. For me, that's probably a good thing. I have no doubt I'd use it in clear concience should the situation arise where I had no other option. You are likely overthinking it.

Guest tnalways4me
I've discovered that when I'm carrying, I tend to keep my mouth shut at times where I would open it if I didn't have a gun. For me, that's probably a good thing. I have no doubt I'd use it in clear concience should the situation arise where I had no other option. You are likely overthinking it.

A very likely possibility. As a new permit holder, I think I just have the noob jitters. Thanks for the input.

Nope. You've said this twice.

Statute reads "The person has a reasonable belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury".

- OS

But the way I have heard, "serious bodily injury" defined - at least in my HCP class - was "injury of a type that could result in death." In other words, it would be defense against death (immediate) or serious bodily injury (something you could or even would likely die of, later.) I am not saying that definition is correct, just that such is the description I was given.

But the way I have heard, "serious bodily injury" defined - at least in my HCP class - was "injury of a type that could result in death." In other words, it would be defense against death (immediate) or serious bodily injury (something you could or even would likely die of, later.) I am not saying that definition is correct, just that such is the description I was given.

There is no definition of it in the statutes, so your HCP instructor was simply giving you his.

I'd posit that plenty of injuries well short of potentially lethal ones would pass muster with the "reasonable" test.

If you get a broken arm, a crushed kneecap, dislocated shoulder, been rapped against the noggin to almost losing consciousness, etc, and still wait to drop perp, or at least point your weapon, because the injury isn't likely to kill you, I'd opine that handgun carry loses much of its purpose for you.

Also, obvious disparity of force logically amps up a fear of serious bodily injury before an injury even occurs.

- OS