First range trip with my Century Polish Tantal

I had heard so much about bullet tumbling with these I was concerned. Not to worry, no tumbling here. It was 100 degrees out so I was soaked in short order, but I was able to shoot a few 100 yard B29 targets. I forgot tools so I couldn't lower the front sight but with the rear sight set to 500 yards I was able to keep my shots in the middle of the B29. My glasses were covered in sweat, my clothes were soaked, so I can't brag about group size, I was using the Russian military ammo, but I was hitting inside the 8 ring easily. I have to figure a way to get a rear peep sight on this rifle. I think I can do some really decent groups once I can see the targets better as it has a good trigger. The notched military sights suck. It was a ton of fun and it was hard to keep my finger from pounding the trigger, I think this is a good 200-250 yard minute-of-man rifle, equal at least, but in MHO, better than a mini 14, but no way this compares to a an AR. But with ammo costing under 150 per 1080 it is cheap to shoot.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of these for over three years. I have also had no issues with tumbling. Most that i know of was with 70 grain Wolf.

I have shot nothing but 52-55 grain surplus with typical AK results for a short stock folder. Have fun!!

I had heard so much about bullet tumbling with these I was concerned. Not to worry, no tumbling here. It was 100 degrees out so I was soaked in short order, but I was able to shoot a few 100 yard B29 targets. I forgot tools so I couldn't lower the front sight but with the rear sight set to 500 yards I was able to keep my shots in the middle of the B29. My glasses were covered in sweat, my clothes were soaked, so I can't brag about group size, I was using the Russian military ammo, but I was hitting inside the 8 ring easily. I have to figure a way to get a rear peep sight on this rifle. I think I can do some really decent groups once I can see the targets better as it has a good trigger. The notched military sights suck. It was a ton of fun and it was hard to keep my finger from pounding the trigger, I think this is a good 200-250 yard minute-of-man rifle, equal at least, but in MHO, better than a mini 14, but no way this compares to a an AR. But with ammo costing under 150 per 1080 it is cheap to shoot.

You may have gotten one of the 5.56 barreled rifles century built. Might be worth checking into.

Mike

That was the first thing I did was measure the barrel with a ball gauge, it was .215". One thing I noticed was that on the Russian military surplus ammo, the bullet tapers from nose to tail and that it only measured .215" at the case mouth. I pulled a bullet and it measured .221" below the case mouth all the way to the base. So all these guys showing a loaded round inserted all the way into a new Century barrel's muzzle means nothing.