Dove Hunt 2011

Guest daytripper

Guest daytripper

Hello all! I've read some of the more recent comments about DOVE HUNTING, and wanted in on the conversations....I too would like to find an organized, reasonable , safe dove hunt somewhere....but seem to be stuck with TWRA fields. Which aren't all bad. I agree with the comments on the not so safe people that show up,and sometimes the fields are good, sometimes not, etc. I'm a dove hunter from here in TN, and been so for 35 yrs(since age 11), i'm pretty familiar with 4 or 5 of the TWRA fields and would welcome anyone that wants to tag along to wherever I go. The past 3 years have been decent at a field in Wilson Co. and so-so at the Cheatham sites. I've also been to a field in Shelbyville that was pretty good too. P. Priest was good, but you have to go thru the drawing and if you don't get picked, its now 1030 and you gotta get to somewhere else. I got picked when I went there, but the corn rows for your spot were 2 rows thin and shade was scarce. If you go there, hope that you get in the lower field closer to water. Thats where the action was. You do need to get there early to stake your claim even if you're the only one there, cause the OTHERS will show up at some point, usually the later it gets. If a group of hunters gets together and hits the fields early to make a day of it....you can usually stake out your 'turf' in numbers and keep the OTHERS at bay to some extent. Safety is also mandatory for me and young hunters would be welcome also. I was one of those once! I'm taking Thursday off and will pick a field to go to soon as they are posted. I'll also go on Sat. (maybe Sun.) and Monday. I usually hit 2-4 fields. Lately its been Wilson Co. and Cheatham. If the Cheatham field off Ashland City Hwy is in good shape it can be pretty good. Thanks for humoring me and if nothing else comes up....I would love to hear anybody's thoughts, ideas, and as always...anyone who would like to go is welcome to...we'll make arrangements, etc. Good hunting to ALL!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haynes bottoms WMA in Montgomery County have about the finest Dove fields as I have ever seen. There is like 3 or 4 or more of them. Never no problem there. It's a ways for you, but well worth the trip. I planted food plots on my property this year, and I hope they bring in the doves. The Deer and Turkey are tearing them up so far. I hate Turkeys and wish everyone of them would meet Mr. and Mrs. Coyote! Turkeys ain't for me and I hope they all meet the worse of fates!

Guest daytripper

I've almost gone there twice but ended up elsewhere....with that tip, it maybe where I go this year! Thanks for the tip.....and I agree...turkeys are the worst for a dove field!

I looked this week, and the fields at Haynes bottoms is about as good as I've ever seen!

Would you hush?!!! :D All these TGO ya-hoos are gonna be shooting our birds.

Honestly, the kid and I will likely be there on the 1st if anyone wants to meet up. There is a youth hunt on Saturday the 3rd that we will probably attend also. I read about the field in the last TWRA magazine, so I will have to look it up again. I believe it will be a youth/adult hunt. We usually attend one of these. It seems to be a pretty safe crowd.

Ten days before season and TWRA has not updated their website to list all the available dove fields. Last year I think it was about 3 days before season before they finished updating. I hope they do it a little earlier this year so I can scout a few fields.