Almost there... my first custom 1911!

I had the pleasure of sitting down with Chad Kandros, owner of Kandros Customs in Hendersonville

TN. He's building my first custom gun, a 1911 government tactical on a matte black oxide/blued carbon steel upper and lower with stainless steel internal and control parts. After getting to know Chad and seeing his work (you can too at d&t arms) I have no doubt that this will be the finest handgun I have or will ever own. I can't wait til it's done so I can have it mainly, but also show some photos!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding 'tooling marks on sights' . . . .

Breaking someone else's rice bowl is way uncool.

Statements like that ought to be backed up with photos. And, we'd need to have some confidence that it was not a pre-existing condition. I've known plenty of folks who've boogered stuff up on their own and THEN turned to a professional to fix it up. Is this first-hand knowledge (your gun) or second-hand knowledge (someone showed you and told you)??

Guest Scramasax

If you don't want a pissing match. Don't light the fire. Posts like that are why I don't participate more in forums. Faceless cowards that attack a person or question from the comfort of thier keyboard. Sounds like you have an issue that was not resolved or articulated to the right person. Did you deal with Chad personally or through an interemediary? I have two Colt 1911ss autos he customized and cannot find a flaw in either of them. I also have three more Colts and two Brownings for him to update when His shoulder is healed enough to work safely.

Just one mans opinion. After humping the bushes for Uncle Sam and using a gun for over 30 years it at least matters to me and after three heart attacks I'm goona say it.

Cheers to all and my your god bless you and keep you from harm.

ts

Yeah, it wasn't trying to start a debate, just wanted to brag about my first custom gun. I will post pics of mine in progress and when it's done. Anyone who wants to see chad's work for themselves can look under authorized vendors at d&t arms, or better yet, drive out there and handle one.

Guest GunTroll

I sure think the few 1911's I have held at D&T looked nice. Chad leans heavy on 1911 handguns. Based off of what I have seen and held in my hands ( I have never shot one), I would have no problem sending folks who wanted a specialized 1911 gunsmith his way. While I can build them as well, and have also spent thousands on machines, hand tools, and jigs..... I'm not a pistolsmith. Rifles are my thrill and I have to be a general gunsmith to keep the lights on. I have referenced Chad as well as Jeff from G&L for custom, from the ground up 1911 work because I suspect they like it more than I do.

To the OP...I'm sure your pistol will be great! And you should be excited with out concern from naysayers.

to the naysayer... did you tell Chad before telling the world? It would be only right to let the guy attempt to fix a blemish/deficiency?

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno nothin, but Chad has previously posted pictures of his work, which looked like fine works of art as far as I could tell from the pictures.

Well.....,

No tool marks on mine. ;)

qs8jex.jpg

Chad did the work on this Colt 1911 in .38 Super for me earlier this year. I've been running it hard in several IDPA matches here in the mid-state. Other than one 10-round Checkmate mag that it didn't like, this 1911 has been 100% reliable everytime I have pressed the trigger.

Here is a link to the work done so far.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing-troubleshooting/55690-kandros-customs-gunworks-38-super.html

I have promised Chad to get it back to him soon for some additional pistol-smithing (new front sight, and some metal work), but for now I'm having just too much fun running & gunning with it.

Edited by DMark
  • Administrator
Seen it first hand and leaving it at that. No need to start a pissing match.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Considering that you already started the pissing match, this is pretty low-class of you. I'd strongly suggest you either substantiate claims made against other members or keep them to yourself in the future.

Well.....,

No tool marks on mine. :popcorn:

qs8jex.jpg

Chad did the work on this Colt 1911 in .38 Super for me earlier this year. I've been running it hard in several IDPA matches here in the mid-state. Other than one 10-round Checkmate mag that it didn't like, this 1911 has been 100% reliable everytime I have pressed the trigger.

Here is a link to the work done so far.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing-troubleshooting/55690-kandros-customs-gunworks-38-super.html

I have promised Chad to get it back to him soon for some additional pistol-smithing (new front sight, and some metal work), but for now I'm having just too much fun running & gunning with it.

That's a nice looking pistol.

Guest Chad Kandros

Guys,Ive got a reputaion to keep that God has blessed me with that's hard to get just by talking. My work speals for itself, i firmy will always see it been done that way. I know realize your the gentelman who i milled a dovetail in your wilson combat. The gun was painted, and yes it cut away the finish, which didnt take verywell at first. Secondly, i was in a sling at that time from a 3rd shoulder and all i did was the machineing, and my partner put the sigts in. Im always not goning to be happy until the client is happy, in this case i believe the gun was stainless, with the wilson black t finsih, which cold blue would not have fixed. I beilieve i finished your sight cut with extreeme satisfaction after returning it to you the next time for what i had to work with. Please feel free to say as you wish, but few people understand their are just as many painted guns as their are carbon ones. God bless, and i hope this little bit of knowlege educutaion those who dont realize the what most dont, God bless, and feel free to ask anyquestions if i can help

Guys,Ive got a reputaion to keep that God has blessed me with that's hard to get just by talking. My work speals for itself, i firmy will always see it been done that way. I know realize your the gentelman who i milled a dovetail in your wilson combat. The gun was painted, and yes it cut away the finish, which didnt take verywell at first. Secondly, i was in a sling at that time from a 3rd shoulder and all i did was the machineing, and my partner put the sigts in. Im always not goning to be happy until the client is happy, in this case i believe the gun was stainless, with the wilson black t finsih, which cold blue would not have fixed. I beilieve i finished your sight cut with extreeme satisfaction after returning it to you the next time for what i had to work with. Please feel free to say as you wish, but few people understand their are just as many painted guns as their are carbon ones. God bless, and i hope this little bit of knowlege educutaion those who dont realize the what most dont, God bless, and feel free to ask anyquestions if i can help

Wasn't my gun but that was what I was referring to.

Guest Thug88

Concerning the accusation that Duce made, let me say this - I own multiple 1911s including a 3" carry model that shoots 1.5"- 2 " groups consistently. All of my pistols were reworked and tuned for accuracy by Chad. This includes a Les Baer Commander that now drives nails. I watched Chad and saw first hand his meticulous work. He leaves no detail untouched and I find it impossible to believe he "nicked" anything. I am a picky gun owner, to say the least and I will not accept sloppy or careless work. That's why Chad performs my pistol work. In fact, after talking with several custom builders, Chad has been selected to build my custom "dream gun". I want the best and that's what I know I will get from Chad. So, if anyone of you want a true custom, or just high-quality tuning, go to Chad. if you want to settle for something less, look elsewhere. But trust me, don't pay any attention to the boorish accusations of one poster, who only dreams of having one of Chad's customs.