i need a 1911

Guest nysos

Guest nysos

Yep, what reasoning can I come up with that I NEED a 1911 vs I WANT a 1911 to justify it to the lady unit in the home.

She does like kimber for some reason, but I doubt I would be buying a kimber, tbh. Thats about the only thing I have going for me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac
Yep, what reasoning can I come up with that I NEED a 1911 vs I WANT a 1911 to justify it to the lady unit in the home.

She does like kimber for some reason, but I doubt I would be buying a kimber, tbh. Thats about the only thing I have going for me.

"Honey, I need this 1911. This type of weapon has been in service for over 100 years so you know it is very reliable. I want to make sure my family is protected and this gun insures that."

Guest nysos
"Honey, I need this 1911. This type of weapon has been in service for over 100 years so you know it is very reliable. I want to make sure my family is protected and this gun insures that."

Although she doesn't shoot always, she usually comes to the range with me. That argument wouldn't work very well because "your other guns aren't having any problems".

Guest nysos
Get a Colt Defender for carry. What do you want to do with this 1911 ?

Mostly range, but would prefer a size I can conceal carry should I decide to carry it. Thinking CCO type, officer frame & 4.25 slide. Think this would be the best of both worlds, nothing huge that I could conceal - but also pleasant to shoot at the range.

When I want to purchase another 1911, I tell my wife I'm thinking about getting another coonhound puppy. After she objects that I don't need another dog, I tell her I'll get another gun.

Actually I think you may have struck a winning idea. How I am with guns, she is with animals. I will tell her "we don't need another puppy/kitten". She will go and get one anyways and I will come home from work to a new 4 legged critter running around. I can just say "you bring home animals, I bring home guns".

Edited by nysos
Guest nysos
Ruger SR1911, If you can find one.

Thanks for the input, not really having trouble figuring out what 1911 I want - just justifying buying one to the lady.

"Yeah, those Kimbers are nice. I'd love one. If I get this <insert preferred 1911> we can have something in the same style/platform and "save" $$$ dollars. We can use the extra "savings" for <random thing she wants>.

Guest Aces&8s

If I could find a time and place to meet you, I would just bring down my 1911 and have you and your wife shoot it. It is a scientific fact that the 1911 bug is contagious, and it is spread most quickly through casual contact at gun shops and firing ranges. Just be aware that once she goes Browning (John Moses, that is), she might not go back...

Guest nysos
If I could find a time and place to meet you, I would just bring down my 1911 and have you and your wife shoot it. It is a scientific fact that the 1911 bug is contagious, and it is spread most quickly through casual contact at gun shops and firing ranges. Just be aware that once she goes Browning (John Moses, that is), she might not go back...

I've started the first step, which is with a hi-power clone. She loves the feel of it, and I keep telling her its very 1911ish. The problem is she is intimidated by handguns, she held a couple kimbers at gander mountain and liked how they felt, that is her extent to "liking" them. My dad has a full size kimber custom that I borrowed and brought with us to the range last week, but she wouldn't crank any rounds through it. I am barely able to get her to shoot a 9mm, and that is in small doses - so it will be a while before she will feel confident in a 45.

Part of this is my own fault, the first handgun she ever fired was my 229 in .40, and the snappyness of the round surprised her so much she damn near dropped the gun. Couple range visits ago she shot a ton of .22, so realistically I may just have to buy a 22 first.....maybe a gsg1911? I wonder if she will ever feel comfy with a .45 1911, what are your alls opinions on the 9mm 1911s out there? Or think I should just get a newer hi-power if I went the 9mm route?

Guest nysos
I Just buy what I want and when she asks I say I've had it forever and just don't shoot it much. Works every time

Not for me, my collection isn't that large enough and she has a pretty good memory. I brought out my dad's taurus with us to the range, (she had only seen it a few times and over a year ago) and she opened the gun case saw the base of the grip and asked "is that your dads taurus?". Yep......I am working on getting her confused though. I am going to try and start trading stuff around with more frequency so that she stops keeping tabs. If it is an even trade, or a trade where I get money she doesn't care - its the new purchases that I have to justify!

New idea: "oh I traded X gun for it" - buy the gun I want, and X gun goes to my brothers to stay in his safe for a while.

Take her to the gun store with you and let her handle all of the different 1911 pistol's they have. If they have a range then rent different 1911 pistols and let her shoot them as well. Talke about each pistol and make seperate like vs. dislike list on each, then sit down and compair what you have. Once you've done this then let her make the final decision because in the end the money being spent is as much her's as it is your's.

The first handgun my gf ever shot was my xd45. She lasted one round and hated it. I let her use my .22 and she loved it. I traded my XD for a gi 1911 and had my gf shoot that. She loved it so much she now carries a 1911 commander. It's all about the recoil and a 1911 helps cure that problem.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Guest nysos
The first handgun my gf ever shot was my xd45. She lasted one round and hated it. I let her use my .22 and she loved it. I traded my XD for a gi 1911 and had my gf shoot that. She loved it so much she now carries a 1911 commander. It's all about the recoil and a 1911 helps cure that problem.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Yep, thinking I am going to have to do something similar.

Sorry I couldn't help myself!

Advantage of Guns over Women

#10 - You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

#9 - You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8 - If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

#7 - Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

#6 - Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

#5 - A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 - Guns function normally every day of the month.

#3 - A gun doesn't ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2 - A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

#1 - You can buy a silencer for a gun

Edited by crossfire
Guest nysos
Advantage of Guns over Women

#10 - You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.

#9 - You can keep one gun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8 - If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

#7 - Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep another gun for a backup.

#6 - Your gun will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

#5 - A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 - Guns function normally every day of the month.

#3 - A gun doesn't ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2 - A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

#1 - You can buy a silencer for a gun

That is awesome, lol.