savage 99 lever gun. anyone knowledgeable about these??

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

I have a 1935 model 99 "t" I believe it is in 300 savage chamber. mfg according to online is 1935. or is there anyone in knox area that might really know anything??

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you wanting to know?

One of the more knowledgeable smiths in the Knoxville area is Bob at Predator Custom Shop. He seems to be knowledgeable about a lot of odd or rare guns. I for one have always liked them and if I could find one for a reasonable price I would pick one up in a heartbeat.

PREDATOR Custom Shop

3550 Papermill Drive

Knoxville, TN 37909

Phone (865) 521-0625

Dolomite

You seem to know the model, year and cal.... Are there other specifics you are trying to find out about the gun? If it is a model "T" then it should be a takedown version. There is a lot of information at saveage99.com and 24hourcampfire.com (under the savage collector's page)

I also agree that Bob is a good guy if you need to have something worked on...

Guest coldblackwind

Neat guns, my buddies stepfather has one and I did a small amount of research on it when he first told me about it. Nightmare to get ammo for though.

Neat guns, my buddies stepfather has one and I did a small amount of research on it when he first told me about it. Nightmare to get ammo for though.

You can generally find the ammo at most gun shows... Federal is also still making new ammo for it as well. You may have to order it online instead of walking into a store and finding it but you can still get new ammo for ot. Also Georgia Arms manufactures it now. Also dies and brass is available online for reloading.

We love our 99s. I also have one in .300 savage and my wife's is in .250 savage. The .300 Savage is ballistically just a hair less powerful than the .308 Win. Still an excellent all-around cartridge. Not too hard to find, either. Very easy to find good handload recipes as it uses all .308 components except the case.

The 99 has been called the perfect hunting rifle as it is sleek, well-balanced, fast-handling, and powerful. If it was really made in 1935, it is more valuable in un-modified condition. There are many variations, and all are collectable.

A "T" is a quite desireable model of 99. The 300 Savage would be the most common chambering among them, however. If you're looking for a rough estimate of value, post some clear detailed photos of it, along with an accurate description of the condition. Common things that hurt the value of 99s are: a crack in the top of the buttstock were it joins the receiver, non factory drlled and tapped for scope mounts or other oddball sights, or installation of non factory recoil pads, sling swivel eyes, etc. Assuming good, unaltered factory condition, you are looking at more than a thousand dollar rifle. If it were a 250-3000, 22 High Power, or a Winchester caliber, it would nearly double the price. Depending on what information you are searching for, a factory letter can be had. They usually tell the date, configuration, place of shipment, and whether the gun was ever returned to the factory for work. They will also list any unusual special order features the gun may have shipped with. Be very careful; there are a myriad of 99 Savage variations, and collecting them can become quite addictive. They are also some great rifles to shoot, and among the most accurate lever guns to date.