Here is the New Wild Hog Regulations

To revise and extend my previous post (no, I'm not a politician!):

I live in Fentress county, and have a couple hundred acres, more or less, in the family. I do not regularly hunt hogs, and at this time there are no hogs on our property, although they are fairly close. So I don't yet have a dog in this hunt, so to speak.

Although I strongly disagree with TWRA's pig policy, I do not in any way condone the vandalism at Catoosa. But I do support those who have paid for the privilege of hunting in TN, only to lose hunting opportunity.

There is a long tradition of hunting feral hogs in this area. I remember seeing, "Hunt the mountains of Tennessee with Joe Simpson" classifieds in Field and Stream, long before BSFNRRA. If TWRA can arbitrarily eliminate the hunting of feral pigs (feral in the US since the 1500's BTW), what's to stop them from extending this to any species? What's next, a ban on carp?! Restricting crows to Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? Oh, wait...

I sure the new hog hunting ban will end the feral hog problem, since the sinus medicine ban has ended the meth epidemic. How's that one working out?

Anyway, when feral pigs show up on my property, I don't plan to ask the goverment for their help, let alone their permission. I'll invite as many guests as I please. I may even open up a pig sanctuary, wouldn't that be a hoot? And those "Hunting by written permission only" signs will have to come down, since they give TWRA access to my property.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we manage 10,000 acres in Fenterss and Overton counties. It is completely overriden with hogs and the population grows every year. Now, not only are our hunt clubs extremely pissed, but now the hogs are going to go unchecked. Because how many hogs can 10 people realy kill on 10,000 acres. Completely assinine

Remember now; TWRA says they can control hog populations BETTER now, that you cannot hog hunt, than allowing hunting! What? Read the new regs!!

They can be hunted on private property with the permit they are issuing to family and to 10 people the land owners sign up for.

Land owners will be granted an exemption

to the above upon request

1. Landowners may request a wild hog methods exemption by

two means:

a) Call the regional office and provide information for the

immediate issuance of an exemption. The exemption

form number issued will serve as their proof of exemption

until the hardcopy arrives by mail.

:D Landowners may visit regional office or request and

officer visit to complete a request for exemption.

2. Landowners and family members legally allowed to hunt the

property without a license, and up to 10 designees may assist

in the control effort provided by the methods exemption. No

more than 10 individuals may be used as designees annually,

as defined by the calendar year.

So I take it family plus 10.

Guest GunTroll

I'm really missing my WY hunting lifestyle I left behind for TN and TWRA's over the top use of regulations that I can't figure out with only one reading. Oh well. I have better opportunities out of state anyways.

I agree Troll. I wish they would have announced this back last February when I bought my Sportsman License. Would have bought Alabama instead. I still may ask TWRA for a refund, since all I care about is pig hunting anyways. I have some beautiful deer and Turkey on my land. I just would rather pig hunt....oh well.

I wonder now, how many land owners will seek to release pigs on their property, to have a place to hog hunt? Just wondering is all.

And whether that happens or not, how quickly will concerns about it lead to strict, new regulations regarding domestic pig enclosures? My family raised two hogs specifically for meat back when I was in high school. No matter how hard we tried to stay on top of making sure there were no gaps, etc. in their pen those things still got out on more than one occasion. We'd have to track them down and 'herd' them back home - and these were pigs who, being the only two we had, were very domesticated and accustomed to us. I can just imagine what a problem that could be for people raising several pigs that might not have as much contact with humans.

Guest GunTroll
I wonder now, how many land owners will seek to release pigs on their property, to have a place to hog hunt? Just wondering is all.

Do you have hogs on your land? If you do then why is these regs bad for you? If you don't and travel to public land to hunt them, then I understand.

I really need to take you to SC and let you blast away at ours when the crop rotation is prime for the hogs.

I don't have hogs that I know of. The Cross Creeks boundary is about a 1/2 mile from there, and that place is overun in pigs. It's just a matter of time before they show up, if not already. I was just wondering how many people will now release hogs, to be able to hunt them. The TWRA biologists should be given an "eye opening" education on hog reproduction. NO HUNTING means a MAJOR population explosion. Do the research friends!

Folks, I can tell you that about all the local Wardens are shaking their heads, trying to figure out what TWRA was thinking. That should tell you something!

Enough said....

Folks, I can tell you that about all the local Wardens are shaking their heads, trying to figure out what TWRA was thinking. That should tell you something!

Enough said....

I talked to some local Wardens and they just told me I picked the wrong year to plan to hunt wild hogs.

BTW, I found a place I can deer hunt and if I see a wild hog shoot it at with out breaking the law. This means I will probably hunt at least one WMA this year, unless some land owner gives me a break and lets me hunt their land to help rid them of wild hogs.

I really need to take you to SC and let you blast away at ours when the crop rotation is prime for the hogs.

It is my experience most would rather complain about the problem then let someone hunt on their land as well. Dad and I have known people that had problems though the summer with deer eating their crops and complain and complain about it, then fall comes. We ask can we hunt on your land, no, we like watching the deer, would hate to have anyone shoot and scare them off. Mind you we knew these people and they didn't hunt them and they didn't let others hunt there either. (not close to houses either) Just an access road to the field.

All you can do is respect their wish and go else where.

Guest 270win

You have a pest that is a threat to everything and the state wants people to get PAPERWORK to shoot a pest that isn't truly even a native game animal? This is no different than shooting a feral dog or feral cat. At least when I go home to Arkansas I can shoot hogs without a hunting license day or night with dogs STATEWIDE on private property. TWRA has some of the craziest game regs for a Southern state, no running deer with dogs, no corn feeders for deer, and now you can't even shoot a wild pig on site? And they wan't these pigs to be killed? Last year you had to have a hunting license to shoot them. HA..I'll go home as a NON RES and shoot one for free at night and spotlight the pig out of a truck if I want.

I have stayed out of this till now, but I see the new regs a couple ways. First, from what I can tell, hunters can't hunt hogs on WMAs but that doesn't mean that the state of TN isn't killing hogs. We know that the government agencies use trapping, fly by shooting, and wardens still shoot on site. So some hogs are still being killed, we are paying for it, we just don't get to join in. Will this work? NO. You can not eradicate hogs with these methods. You can use these methods in conjunction with year-round, no limit hunting, to control the population. However, it is my belief that, once established, hogs will always be around.

The second way I see the new regs if positive for the avid hog hunter. If you love to chase pigs, this will improve your hunting... eventually. The state will realize the error they have made and will eventually change the rules to all year round hunting to help control the population. The hogs will be better established, will spread to more areas, and will be too embedded to ever be eradicated. All the hog hunter has to do, is be patient.

Does anyone remember hunting deer in TN 25 years ago? It was tough to get drawn for a doe tag. We were over run with does, but couldn't thin them out to keep the heard balanced. Now, many years too late, TWRA asks us to shoot 3 does per day for 100 days of season. Too little, too late.

Edited by whiskey
  • Admin Team
I have stayed out of this till now, but I see the new regs a couple ways. First, from what I can tell, hunters can't hunt hogs on WMAs but that doesn't mean that the state of TN isn't killing hogs. We know that the government agencies use trapping, fly by shooting, and wardens still shoot on site. So some hogs are still being killed, we are paying for it, we just don't get to join in. Will this work? NO. You can not eradicate hogs with these methods. You can use these methods in conjunction with year-round, no limit hunting, to control the population. However, it is my belief that, once established, hogs will always be around.

The second way I see the new regs if positive for the avid hog hunter. If you love to chase pigs, this will improve your hunting... eventually. The state will realize the error they have made and will eventually change the rules to all year round hunting to help control the population. The hogs will be better established, will spread to more areas, and will be too embedded to ever be eradicated. All the hog hunter has to do, is be patient.

Does anyone remember hunting deer in TN 25 years ago? It was tough to get drawn for a doe tag. We were over run with does, but couldn't thin them out to keep the heard balanced. Now, many years too late, TWRA asks us to shoot 3 does per day for 100 days of season. Too little, too late.

Has the state extended the contract with the group that was attempting helicopter eradication flights that at $10,000/flight that they were doing earlier this year?

Has the state extended the contract with the group that was attempting helicopter eradication flights that at $10,000/flight that they were doing earlier this year?

Don't tell me the state is actually paying that (at the same time complaining about budget problems) when there are people willing to shoot these things for free. That is another waste of money that should be stopped.

Don't tell me the state is actually paying that (at the same time complaining about budget problems) when there are people willing to shoot these things for free. That is another waste of money that should be stopped.

We had a group fly over our tract but they were USFW. oh and they killed 2 pigs! That's expensive hog hunting. Especially when there are so many willing to shoot them for free. Helicopter hunting does not work well in the heavy tall timber terrain. We're not in Texas.

Tennessee Constitution Article XI Section 13:

The citizens of this state shall have the personal right to hunt and fish, subject to reasonable regulations and restrictions prescribed by law. The recognition of this right does not abrogate any private or public property rights, nor does it limit the state's power to regulate commercial activity. Traditional manners and means may be used to take non-threatened species.

IMO the new hog regulations are a clear violation of the "Right to hunt and fish" amendment passed last year. "Traditional manners and means" are now denied to those taking the non-threatened wild hog. They changed from "We want you to kill as many hogs as you can" to "Eliminate hog hunting" in one year. Is this reasonable?

I have heard/read and was told, that the USDA is in charge of feral hog eradication in the US. Those sources also (state and local) says it cost about $10,000.00 per 1 hour of flight to shoot hogs. That was for aircraft, fuel, pilot and shooter. This crew travels all over the US under contract for the USDA, and their only mission in life is to shoot pigs!

Heck, I'll trap them and/or shoot them for free! OH, but wait.....It's a liability issue.....so I've been told!