Mother Mistakes Small Gun for Cigarette Lighter, Daughter Wounded

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I know for a fact I get on people's nerves with my definition of Muzzle Discipline. I know I stole that phrase from something military, but I have made it my own. I've really made my father in law mad about it. I DON'T CARE if it's a plastic toy that has been sawed in half, DO NOT CROSS FLESH WITH A FRIGGIN" GUN!!!!! That means no twirling, waving and playing around. People are so stupid. I feel bad for her daughter, and I hope the woman feels really bad for doing it. It would do her good to have a few nightmares about it. Lord help us, what's wrong with people?!!? Playing with a gun around your child, I don't care what you thought it was lady! That's what you get for thinking.

Edited by Caster
I've always thought that novelty things (like cigarette lighters) that look like guns is a bad idea. I mean really, who comes up with an idea where you point something that looks like a gun at your mouth and pull the trigger.

Right, it just spawns bad habits. If you treat everything the same way, you'll do the same thing every time. Example: I had a cop come into the shop and he chuckled as he asked me why my index finger was pointing straight along the body of the impact wrench while I was carrying it. I just smiled, he smiled back and said "That's good" Is that dumb, yeah sure, but repeatable good habits are just that, GOOD habits. For the record, I've never had a negligent discharge from an Ingersol Rand :P

THis is the exact reason I hate toy guns. If I had kids, they would NOT be allowed. Cry "they're just kids" all you like, but it's a bad idea.

Guest CarmenT

Muzzle discipline ought to be Gun Commandment #1 in my opinion. In the brief time we've been back into gun ownership it's been the biggest source of concern around others.

Standing in line to get our tickets at the gun show in Nashville a couple of weeks ago the group of 20-somethings in front of us were chatting and being, well, 20-somethings <G> and one guy had his rifle slung across his shoulders in such a way as to keep pointing it at either my head or the heads of others in line. Thankfully a catching his eye and delivering a pointed look solved the problem there.

The second incident happened at Bass Pro Shop in Opry Mills. My husband and I were looking at rifles. I had one to look at, brought it down to try the general size out, pointing it at the back wall. That would not have been a problem, except that the younger gun counter salesman walked right across my line of sight. O_O I'm pretty sure that muzzle came up so fast it made a whooshing noise.

I hear you, and I hate it. A big reason I don't frequent shows. Can't say it'll never happen at a TN show, because it HAS! I don't know of any fatalities, but there's been a few negligent discharges.

I find it amazing how upset people get when you are standing next to someone and you say to them "Would you mind not pointing that at me." They really get insulted. I used to go to shows and really worry about saying something to someone...not anymore. If you point a gun at me at show, i'll say something to you in a heartbeat. Had one old boy get pretty steamed, "You can't have a loaded gun in here you know" Was his response. To which I replied "Oh and stupid people don't go to gun shows and do stupid things?" I was thirty minutes late to a show out in Smyrna once. had I arrived when some friends of mine did I would have got to see a guy shoot a chunk out of the floor with a 357 sig.

The only way to fix this kind of thing is to point it out EVERY time you see it. Although I will admit I am a little more mindful when at the range where people do have loaded guns. You never know a man's temper/intentions.

Guest bkelm18
Right, it just spawns bad habits. If you treat everything the same way, you'll do the same thing every time. Example: I had a cop come into the shop and he chuckled as he asked me why my index finger was pointing straight along the body of the impact wrench while I was carrying it. I just smiled, he smiled back and said "That's good" Is that dumb, yeah sure, but repeatable good habits are just that, GOOD habits. For the record, I've never had a negligent discharge from an Ingersol Rand :P

THis is the exact reason I hate toy guns. If I had kids, they would NOT be allowed. Cry "they're just kids" all you like, but it's a bad idea.

I actually do that out of habit when I'm walking around work with a cordless drill. I don't even realize I'm doing it most of the time.

If I am not badly mistaken the NAA .22 is a single-action, so there is no way the mother just pulled the trigger. I'm calling BS on this one, there is more to this story that what the mother told.

Good point. I'm not 100% sure, but I can't imagine them being DA.

Personally I think she knew it was a gun. She was screwing around with it, and shot her daughter, then she had to come up with a wild tale about a the cigarette lighter.

+1000

Some people shouldn't have guns - or children.

Look at that News Story, It almost writes it self for the anti' gun people, seriously, in the Town named "Banning"

I have this Theory of News Events and Stories every so often coming around were peoples names or events are related to the story are in the story.

Just a few examples

bobbitt- enough said.

madoff-- enough said.

McDonald's Manager in this News story Last name is Burger --Car slams into West Knoxville McDonald's » Knoxville News Sentinel

I have had others but I can't place them at this time.

Over time I just find it interesting that peoples names, events are just so fitting for the news story.