Florida couple slain in botched car-jacking

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

A couple in Florida were slain at a gas station in what police are calling a botched car-jacking. Apparently they were after the guy's 97 cobra mustang which the owner a 23 year old Julian Soler and 24 year old Kennia Duran were gassing up at the pump. The suspects fled and didn't even take the car. What a senseless double murder over a car. I guess the owner of the car was a member on SVTPerformance.com forums as well. very sad :) Hopefully they will catch these suspects.

More reinforcement why I have an HCP and will be carrying. You never know what could happen, especially late at night when you have to stop somewhere, and if you have wife or gf and kids, definitely an added advantage to protect them as well. This guy and gf might be alive if he'd have had a permit and a firearm.

Story

WSVN-TV - Couple killed at gas station after botched car-jacking

Video of the shooting released

Video Showing Fatal Gas Station Shootings Released - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I carry and that's why I've spent a good deal of time and money this year (and will be next year and the next year) taking training to better know how to fight with a gun (and without one) and how to be better aware of my surroundings and spot threats, etc.

There has always been crime...always been those who prey on others rather than do honest work but society has changed a lot since I was a kid and unfortunately, not in a good way.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened to me. I've had a Corvette since I was 17, but if it ever comes down to it (even if I am carrying) I will just give them the car and my gun (if they spot it) to save my life. I'd rather avoid a shoot out. Cars and guns can be replaced, people can't.

Guest nysos
I'm surprised this hasn't happened to me. I've had a Corvette since I was 17, but if it ever comes down to it (even if I am carrying) I will just give them the car and my gun (if they spot it) to save my life. I'd rather avoid a shoot out. Cars and guns can be replaced, people can't.

The only way I am going to let someone like that see my gun is for a brief moment before they see a few flashes as it goes off.

"This doesn't make any sense," Capt. Ralph Suarez, of the Miami Gardens Police Department, told Local 10. "These two victims were willing to give up the car, but they were still shot."

You need to rethink carrying if this is your mindset. You will just be supplying a gun to a criminal when you are killed.

You need to rethink carrying if this is your mindset. You will just be supplying a gun to a criminal when you are killed.

Let's go with this scenario (which was in my head when I made the post) you are at the gas station, somebody approaches you (don't throw in I'm aware of my surroundings, it can happen to anybody no matter how good you are) from the back and puts a gun up to your head. They say "Give me the keys to your car or I'm going to blow your f***ing brains out". You reach for your keys and they see your gun or they want your wallet and they see your gun. What are you going to do? Beat him to the punch by turning around, pulling out your gun and shooting him? I highly doubt it. Sorry to not clarify of what was going through my head. Also I don't need to rethink carrying but thanks.

The only way I am going to let someone like that see my gun is for a brief moment before they see a few flashes as it goes off.

Given the situation I just stated, who knows. Hopefully everybody can avoid these situations as best as possible...

Edited by ls3_kid
  • Admin Team
Let's go with this scenario (which was in my head when I made the post) you are at the gas station, somebody approaches you (don't throw in I'm aware of my surroundings, it can happen to anybody no matter how good you are) from the back and puts a gun up to your head. They say "Give me the keys to your car or I'm going to blow your f***ing brains out". You reach for your keys and they see your gun or they want your wallet and they see your gun. What are you going to do? Beat him to the punch by turning around, pulling out your gun and shooting him? I highly doubt it. Sorry to not clarify of what was going through my head. Also I don't need to rethink anything but thanks.

Given the situation I just stated, who knows. Hopefully everybody can avoid these situations as best as possible...

People do stupid things sometimes.

But you can control being overtaken from behind. Keep your back up against the car when filling up at night. Or better yet, get gas in the daytime.

Really, as a gun owner, you owe it to yourself and society at large to be hyper-aware when you're carrying. There is no excuse for someone getting the jump on you when you're carrying a weapon. You have a higher responsibility when you strap on a weapon. We carry to change the outcome in situations like these, but should behave in a manner to avoid them at all cost.

Know that if you EVER surrender your gun, you're very likely to be shot with it. You're simply handing this street thug the ability to be the arbiter of your life. Those odds almost never work out in the victim's favor.

People do stupid things sometimes.

But you can control being overtaken from behind. Keep your back up against the car when filling up at night. Or better yet, get gas in the daytime.

Really, as a gun owner, you owe it to yourself and society at large to be hyper-aware when you're carrying. There is no excuse for someone getting the jump on you when you're carrying a weapon. You have a higher responsibility when you strap on a weapon. We carry to change the outcome in situations like these, but should behave in a manner to avoid them at all cost.

Know that if you EVER surrender your gun, you're very likely to be shot with it. You're simply handing this street thug the ability to be the arbiter of your life. Those odds almost never work out in the victim's favor.

Yes there are things that can happen to prevent being put in this situation. However I'm not going to beat the dead horse here (well maybe a little). It could happen no matter how safe you are. As for surrendering the gun, as I stated before, I guess it doesn't really make too much sense due to I would only surrender it if I felt I had no chance. But then I would really stand zero chance. I was just typing off what first came to my head (avoiding danger as much as possible) as I am not really in the situation but merely sitting a computer talking about the subject at hand. If I were really in the situation I would not be as calm and primal instinct would take over/training would be put into effect. I do stand by the letting the car go which I think everybody here can agree with.

Rarely do good things happen after midnight. I had a cop friend tell me once that the only people out after midnight are drunks and felons. Not totally accurate but there is some truth to it.

When I started carrying. I became much more aware of not only my surroundings but also my habits.

Stop carrying so someone here doesn't have to end up shooting someone who you gave your gun to. Just give them the car and your money and hope for the best.

There is no excuse for someone getting the jump on you when you're carrying a weapon.

Really? You think if someone decides to knock you TFO and take your car the fact that you have a gun will stop them. Once they get within reach of you, they may well own you. What are you going to do start waiving a gun around if anyone comes near you? All the firearms classes in the world aren’t going to help you if you are simply overpowered, especially by several attackers, or if multiple gunmen walk up shooting. (It appears that is what happened in this case.)

A gun is a last ditch effort. And if you aren’t in peak physical condition a gun will not level the playing field against someone that is.

You think these gang bangers haven’t played this game before?

Some of you guys must have the dumbest, slowest bad guys in the world when you are going these scenarios in your head. :D

These kids didn’t die because they didn’t have a gun; they died because we allow these thug punks a revolving door at the jail.

• Admin Team

Unfortunately Dave, because of my chosen profession I know the speed, violence and willingness to use violence of the criminals out there today.

I'll generally stand by my above statement. My "getting the jump on you" was meant to express being surprised by a situation. You shouldn't have your head in the sand when you're carrying a weapon and suddenly find yourself in a situation where you have no idea where you got there. Avoidance is the best deterrent to becoming the victim of a crime.

Gangbangers these days are amazingly efficient. And, overwhelmingly violent. Obviously you can't avoid every random crime, but this is the exception as opposed to the norm. A lot more lives are saved by people paying attention and getting out of the way of trouble before it happens than lives are lost due to violent events like this.

It does serve as good warning for everyone, though. I expect everyone should think about why they carry and what they would do in a situation like this.

My "getting the jump on you" was meant to express being surprised by a situation. You shouldn't have your head in the sand when you're carrying a weapon and suddenly find yourself in a situation where you have no idea where you got there. Avoidance is the best deterrent to becoming the victim of a crime.

Gangbangers these days are amazingly efficient. And, overwhelmingly violent. Obviously you can't avoid every random crime, but this is the exception as opposed to the norm. A lot more lives are saved by people paying attention and getting out of the way of trouble before it happens than lives are lost due to violent events like this.

+1

Old story and a bit off topic, but I will go to my grave believing that I stopped a robbery and perhaps saved my life by my reaction to those 4 guys at G&A last year. I am certain that they are the same guys that robbed a customer of his pistol a short time later.

(sigh) I know I say this everytime some says "just give them that they want" but here it is again, http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/58461-people-who-say-just-give-them-what-they-want.html

Giving a robber what they ask for does not mean they will automatically leave you alone or alive! It's better to risk taking a bullet while fighting back than taking the risk of them shooting you anyway while you stand there with a surprised look on your face.

“Its better†and “taking a bullet†don’t go together.

If you die with a gun in your hand all that will happen here is that some of our arm chair quarterbacks will say that you needed more training.

But I remember when I was 10 foot tall and bullet proof. :)

“Its better” and “taking a bullet” don’t go together.

If you die with a gun in your hand all that will happen here is that some of our arm chair quarterbacks will say that you needed more training.

But I remember when I was 10 foot tall and bullet proof. :)

So what you are suggesting here? :screwy:

I carry, hoping that I never have to draw my weapon; much less use it; but I train for the possibility that I'll have to do both. However, if a person carries who is not willing to defend his life or the life of some other innocent then what is the purpose of carrying a firearm?

For any of us presented with a situation where some thug is threatening our life, we all have to make what we feel is the best decision given the situation at the moment - I see nothing particularly noble in "dying with a gun in my hand" but I also don't see anything particularly noble in dying with my gun in my holster either...if I have a chance to defend myself, I think I would even if the odds don't favor me being successful and if I'm not willing to do so then I'm not sure I have any reason to carry in the first place.

Edited by RobertNashville
if a person carries who is not willing to defend his life or the life of some other innocent then what is the purpose of carrying a firearm?

Because it looks cool?

and if I'm not willing to do so then I'm not sure I have any reason to carry in the first place.

Then don't.

So what you are suggesting here?

I’m not suggesting anything; I’m stating without reservation that walking into certain death will not “be betterâ€. It will not be better because (if we simply overlook the fact that you are dead) no matter what the situation is people like you that have never been in a fight, much less a gunfight, will start judging their actions. In your world the bad guys have no training and if an HCP holder gets shot it surely had to be because they were not properly trained. Unless it’s you, and then if you survive you will have a perfectly good reason of why you failed.

Because it looks cool?['quote]

It was a serious question...too bad you make a joke out of it rather than give a serious answer.

I’m not suggesting anything; I’m stating without reservation that walking into certain death will not “be betterâ€. It will not be better because (if we simply overlook the fact that you are dead) no matter what the situation is people like you that have never been in a fight, much less a gunfight, will start judging their actions. In your world the bad guys have no training and if an HCP holder gets shot it surely had to be because they were not properly trained. Unless it’s you, and then if you survive you will have a perfectly good reason of why you failed.

Then I suppose no one should carry; at lest not unless they pass the "DaveTN" test???

You know nothing of "my world" or what "fights" I've been in or not been in so how about cutting the assumptions crap...the only thing "certain" when faced with someone who is willing to kill you, is that a person can either chose to defend himself or surrender - and yes, I think choosing to defend yourself is "better".