Sedona, AZ

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

Sedona is AWESOME....IF you stay anywhere close or IN Sedona...just have a good limit on your VISA or Mastercard. When my family and i went there we stayed an exit south on I-17 from the Sedona exit. We spent the DAY in Sedona while enroute to Norfolk Va from San Diego, CA when I PCS'd while in the NAVY. one of the "attractions" is called SLICK Rock...or SLIDE Rock...its been a while.

It has been quite a while since we were there, but Sedona Valley is absolutely beautiful. We were in Phoenix on a buying trip and were headed for the Canyon. Of course going up 89 North, we ran into Sedona and fell in love. But as mustangdave says, have plenty of money. It's full of tourist attractions, parks with walk and hiking trails, and then, several jeep tours into the desert and mountains, and all kinds of food places.

While driving thru we decide to alocate a day away from the Canyon time.We ended up staying 3 days. The things I remember most were the Pink Jeep Tour in the hills and Submarine Rock and the magnificient scenery just about everywhere. There's just so much to do and it's been 13 years I think. Just walking around the tourist area of town you can see some of the most awesome and colorful hills you can imagine.

If you can stand the dry heat, rent a convertible. You'll love the views just driving around. I highly recommend a late night drive thru the desert and mountains around the area.

Don't know if it's still there, but there was an ariel tour in an old biplane. My wife went and was thrilled. It was a lot pricey, I think 350-400 for the tour. But as a gift for her, it was well spent money.

Not great details, but I am getting old and senile with memory issues for that far back, but the trip is unbelievable.

If you plan on Sedona alone, a week should give you time to see and do quite a lot. If you're planning a tip to Monument Valley or The Grand Canyon, it will be really rushed; because every time you look around, there's something else that just begs you to stop and look.

Forget the name of the area, but should you opt for a Canyon jaunt, go to the east end of the Canyon where it starts. Just a big drop and a crack in the earth that becomes Huge, very quickly. It's great.

Wish we could go along. Have a wonderful trip!

Edited by hipower
  • Administrator

Spent 3 days there last fall. Gorgeous town; would love to retire there or to a neighboring town... but that's a good ways away. I'll put together a list of "must do / must see" things later this evening when I have some time.

Guest boatme99

Slide Rock is in Oak Creek Canyon, the road up the rim to Flagstaff (worth a trip up for the day) with Sunset Crater and Wupatki ruins.

That's a beautiful area. Check out the Pink Jeep Tours to get into the back country. For shopping, Telaquapaqui (?), high end to be sure. Maybe a day trip to the mining town of Jerome. Kind of a motorcycle destination. If you get 2 or 3 days, go up to the Grand Canyon, you'll never be closer. East is Montezumas Castle, cliff dwellings.

Enjoy your trip!

Slide rock, is very cool. If you have the money a pink jeep tour is phenomenal! If you are taking a four wheel drive, particularly a jeep wrangler, there are some great trails. Also for mtn bike riding and hiking. You can drive down from I 40 to Sedona on a hill called schnebly (sp?) hill, it is all dirt. Wouldn't recommend it for non 4x4's though know it has been done in a Mercedes. Troias is pretty good italian food, there is a cafe there it is worth eating at. It is right next to one of the Starbucks. Last time I as there was about 4 years ago... Enjoy the drive in oak creek canyon, it is really pretty. Lots of little local places, to try. And shopping is expensive but it is mostly unique hand crafted stuff several really good Mexican restaurants

• Administrator

If the Grand Canyon interests you, save your time and money and just watch a documentary about it. Far less commercial that way. It is pretty much the National Park Service's Disney Land.

Just my $0.02 worth.

We plan on staying in flagstaff. I will be going to the grand canyon one day and stop through Sedona for a day on the way to Phoenix for a Fraternity conference and possible stop back through Sedona on the way back home as well sounds like a lot of nice things to do.

If the Grand Canyon interests you, save your time and money and just watch a documentary about it. Far less commercial that way. It is pretty much the National Park Service's Disney Land.

Just my $0.02 worth.

True enough if you're Clark Griswald, but TV doesn't do the canyon justice if you hike across it.

Here are some things I've enjoyed in Sedona (that haven't already been mentioned) during my family's visits over the last 15 years or so:

Favorite breakfast spot: Coffee Pot Restaurant Coffee Pot Restaurant in Sedona Arizona visit us in Sedona AZ for breakfast or lunch - neat place, moderately priced, interesting local history with the movie crews that filmed in the area in the '50's. All I could think of while hiking out of the Grand Canyon during my last trip was getting to the Coffee Pot and having some blueberry pancakes. The place is busy, but service is quick and our waiting times have been short (when there was a wait).

Favorite sunset spot: Airport Mesa. Take the road up to the airport, big parking area. Get there early for a good spot and bring a camera.

view-from-airport-mesa.jpg

Favorite place to get hiking info: South Gateway Visitor Center - New (within the past couple of years) visitor center that will help you pick out the best places to see and hikes to take based on what you tell them you'd like to do and how much time you have. There a dozens of great places to see and hikes to take, can't really go wrong with any of them. Red Rock Country - South Gateway Visitor Center

What to see/do at the Grand Canyon is a whole 'nuther subject. We've been many times and backpacked there 5 or 6 times. Don't know if you want to open that can of worms in this thread or not. My basic advice is "don't miss it" even if it is hot and there are huge crowds.

Edited by mike_f
Formatting Text
Mike, nice photo! Colors are great.

I wish I could say it's mine, but I stole it from a random website that came back on my Google search (didn't have access to my photos at the time.

This not as good photo is one I took at the overlook though.

Sunset02.jpg

Edited by mike_f
Added photo