Chattanooga

I live closer to Knoxville but my wife and I like going to Chattanooga. Here are some things we like to do when we make the drive down:

The aquarium is a must see if you haven't. I like it better than Ripley's, myself. You could probably spend the better part of a day there - several hours, anyway.

I love the Chickamauga Battlefield park. My late, paternal grandparents and my maternal grandfather and late step-grandmother lived on Lookout Mountain (my paternal grandfather still lives there) and we often drove through the Battlefield Park when going to visit when I was a kid and I still like going back, now. I like going up in the watch tower (back off of the main road) and the museum is cool.

If it is still there, just outside the Battlefield is a little restaurant called 'My Place'. A few years ago they celebrated fifty years in business in that location but I do know that the owner was trying to sell. I've never eaten there, as far as I recall, but we used to stop there and get milkshakes when I was a kid. My mom's step grandad took her there for milkshakes when she was a kid. It's been a year or so since I last took my wife there but at the time they still had great milkshakes. The standout about them was that you could get flavors like banana, cherry or peanut butter that not just every place has, now.

Academy Sports has some good prices, especially on their store brand of ammo (Monarch) and often seems to have some good sales on firearms. Sportsman's Warehouse is a bit more pricey (maybe not as bad a Gouger Mountain but not cheap) but it is still worth a look-see. SW is the only place in the area that I found Buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast rounds for my .357. In fact, I don't think I have seen any Buffalo Bore on the shelves anywhere else and I checked many, different shops from Knoxville to Chattanooga and points between (I really don't like to order anything online unless there is no choice.) They also had a few, different Marlin 925M models in stock at a time when I couldn't find one anywhere else (so I bought one there.)

I haven't been to any of the smaller, independent shops that folks have mentioned because it is always Saturday when we go and I seem to get there about 20 minutes after they close.

Chattanooga has some good restaurants. Honestly, while K-Town has some pretty good places, I think the 'nooga foodie scene has it all over Knoxville. The Curry Pot is a little Indian restaurant next to a Pakistani/Indian grocery in a little strip mall off of Lee Highway. If you like Indian, the food there is great and it is one of the few places I have seen beef dishes on the menu at an Indian restaurant. We ordered off of the menu but they had a decent sized buffet and there were lots of Indian/Pakastani folks in there eating the buffet (in fact, when we were there it was pretty busy and we were one of only two tables of people that didn't appear to be of Indian or Pakastani heritage.) There is another Indian restaurant in the same shopping center as Sportsman's Warehouse but we haven't tried it (looks a little 'fancier' than Curry Pot, just looking through the window.) There is also a Korean restaurant in the shopping center with SW but we haven't tried it, either.

The City Cafe Restaurant that DaddyO mentioned is also good. I believe the location he is talking about is part of a hotel (a Day's Inn, iirc) and is kind of close to McKay's Used Books (another place we like to go - maybe more than the one in Knoxville.) We ate at the City Cafe Restaurant (I jokingly call it The City Cafe Restaurant Bar and Grill because 'cafe restaurant' is a bit redundant) a couple of times before they were posted but I haven't been since the sign went up. They have some Greek dishes as well as other food. My wife got beef stroganoff there one night (it was the special of the day, I believe) and it was a huge bowl of beef and pasta with a rich, delicious sauce.

Last time we ate there, Sweet Basil was a great place for Thai but we haven't been there in a year or two.

We went to Hillbilly Willy's once. Pretty good barbecue, probably better than any of the other barbecue joints mentioned, IMO, but be aware that it is posted - or it was when we went. It was one of those stupid 'clear' stickers among a group of such stickers on the front door (or maybe window - can't remember, exactly.) That might have discouraged me from going but we had driven down largely to try the place after my wife found it while doing a search for barbecue restaurants online (I like trying different barbecue places.)

Around Hamilton Place, we really like The Acropolis. It is the only 'Greek' restaurant of which I am aware in East Tennessee (other places have Greek dishes on the menu but most don't call themselves Greek restaurants.) My wife loves the Tyropita and they have sort of a Greek sampler plate that is good (although I don't care for taramasalata so I ask to substitute extra dolmathes, instead.) I also liked J. Alexander's a lot the times I have been (both in Nashville and the one near Hamilton Place in 'nooga) but, again, we haven't been there in a few years.

I've only been to Cheeburger Cheeburger once. It wasn't bad but wasn't anything special, IMO. I probably wouldn't go back unless we were with someone who was just dying to go. For pricey burgers, I like Red Robin much better (not sure if there is one in Chattanooga - we have been to the RR in Knoxville.)

Smoky Bones was unimpressive. Sticky Fingers is okay but nothing to write home about. Sugars also isn't bad but didn't particularly stand out, IMO. I went there to try the lamb ribs (they called them Baaaaad to the Bone) but that was just after they stopped having them so it could be that my disappointment with that influenced how much I liked it. In the interest of full disclosure, I am picky when it comes to smoked meat/barbecue. I have only ever found one that I liked better than my own - it was in Cleveland, TN and was called Phil's Country Biscuit and Barbecue to Go and is, unfortunately, no longer in business afaik - and only a couple that I like as well as mine.

I've been told that Blue Orleans, downtown, is pretty good by people whose taste I trust but haven't been there, myself.

As I haven't been able to imbibe as much since my health issues last year, I haven't been out looking for good beer selections, lately. That said, for beer selection (as in take home, not served on premises) the Riverside Beverage Company on Manufacturer's Road had a pretty nice selection the last time I was there.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You folks feel green in East Lake you haven't spent enough time there. Having both friends and family who live off 35th and Clio right down the street I could write a whole section about the stupid things they have to put up with.

The story this week is about his neighbor sitting in the back seat of a car - Getting carjacked, taking a knife from the perp, then taking a tire iron from the perp, then konking the perp over the head. All while cruizing down the blvd.

The previous week was catching a guy in his dodge truck trying to steal crap from the center console....He was pulling him by his feet out of the car like playing tug of war with the dude still hanging on to the truck when the police arrived.

The stories never end.

No one said anything about living there. Someone mentioned going to GTs and people act like you are going to get shot before you reach the door. Not the case at all.

Guest RevScottie

Terminal Brew House near the Choo Choo is very good. Park at the Choo Choo parking garage and walk over instead of parking behind it though.

Edited by RevScottie
Guest RevScottie
No one said anything about living there. Someone mentioned going to GTs and people act like you are going to get shot before you reach the door. Not the case at all.
Thugs tend to avoid places like GT that are frequented by law enforcement :screwy:
I live closer to Knoxville but my wife and I like going to Chattanooga. Here are some things we like to do when we make the drive down:

The aquarium is a must see if you haven't. I like it better than Ripley's, myself. You could probably spend the better part of a day there - several hours, anyway.

I love the Chickamauga Battlefield park. My late, paternal grandparents and my maternal grandfather and late step-grandmother lived on Lookout Mountain (my paternal grandfather still lives there) and we often drove through the Battlefield Park when going to visit when I was a kid and I still like going back, now. I like going up in the watch tower (back off of the main road) and the museum is cool.

If it is still there, just outside the Battlefield is a little restaurant called 'My Place'. A few years ago they celebrated fifty years in business in that location but I do know that the owner was trying to sell. I've never eaten there, as far as I recall, but we used to stop there and get milkshakes when I was a kid. My mom's step grandad took her there for milkshakes when she was a kid. It's been a year or so since I last took my wife there but at the time they still had great milkshakes. The standout about them was that you could get flavors like banana, cherry or peanut butter that not just every place has, now.

Academy Sports has some good prices, especially on their store brand of ammo (Monarch) and often seems to have some good sales on firearms. Sportsman's Warehouse is a bit more pricey (maybe not as bad a Gouger Mountain but not cheap) but it is still worth a look-see. SW is the only place in the area that I found Buffalo Bore 180 grain hardcast rounds for my .357. In fact, I don't think I have seen any Buffalo Bore on the shelves anywhere else and I checked many, different shops from Knoxville to Chattanooga and points between (I really don't like to order anything online unless there is no choice.) They also had a few, different Marlin 925M models in stock at a time when I couldn't find one anywhere else (so I bought one there.)

I haven't been to any of the smaller, independent shops that folks have mentioned because it is always Saturday when we go and I seem to get there about 20 minutes after they close.

Chattanooga has some good restaurants. Honestly, while K-Town has some pretty good places, I think the 'nooga foodie scene has it all over Knoxville. The Curry Pot is a little Indian restaurant next to a Pakistani/Indian grocery in a little strip mall off of Lee Highway. If you like Indian, the food there is great and it is one of the few places I have seen beef dishes on the menu at an Indian restaurant. We ordered off of the menu but they had a decent sized buffet and there were lots of Indian/Pakastani folks in there eating the buffet (in fact, when we were there it was pretty busy and we were one of only two tables of people that didn't appear to be of Indian or Pakastani heritage.) There is another Indian restaurant in the same shopping center as Sportsman's Warehouse but we haven't tried it (looks a little 'fancier' than Curry Pot, just looking through the window.) There is also a Korean restaurant in the shopping center with SW but we haven't tried it, either.

The City Cafe Restaurant that DaddyO mentioned is also good. I believe the location he is talking about is part of a hotel (a Day's Inn, iirc) and is kind of close to McKay's Used Books (another place we like to go - maybe more than the one in Knoxville.) We ate at the City Cafe Restaurant (I jokingly call it The City Cafe Restaurant Bar and Grill because 'cafe restaurant' is a bit redundant) a couple of times before they were posted but I haven't been since the sign went up. They have some Greek dishes as well as other food. My wife got beef stroganoff there one night (it was the special of the day, I believe) and it was a huge bowl of beef and pasta with a rich, delicious sauce.

Last time we ate there, Sweet Basil was a great place for Thai but we haven't been there in a year or two.

We went to Hillbilly Willy's once. Pretty good barbecue, probably better than any of the other barbecue joints mentioned, IMO, but be aware that it is posted - or it was when we went. It was one of those stupid 'clear' stickers among a group of such stickers on the front door (or maybe window - can't remember, exactly.) That might have discouraged me from going but we had driven down largely to try the place after my wife found it while doing a search for barbecue restaurants online (I like trying different barbecue places.)

Around Hamilton Place, we really like The Acropolis. It is the only 'Greek' restaurant of which I am aware in East Tennessee (other places have Greek dishes on the menu but most don't call themselves Greek restaurants.) My wife loves the Tyropita and they have sort of a Greek sampler plate that is good (although I don't care for taramasalata so I ask to substitute extra dolmathes, instead.) I also liked J. Alexander's a lot the times I have been (both in Nashville and the one near Hamilton Place in 'nooga) but, again, we haven't been there in a few years.

I've only been to Cheeburger Cheeburger once. It wasn't bad but wasn't anything special, IMO. I probably wouldn't go back unless we were with someone who was just dying to go. For pricey burgers, I like Red Robin much better (not sure if there is one in Chattanooga - we have been to the RR in Knoxville.)

Smoky Bones was unimpressive. Sticky Fingers is okay but nothing to write home about. Sugars also isn't bad but didn't particularly stand out, IMO. I went there to try the lamb ribs (they called them Baaaaad to the Bone) but that was just after they stopped having them so it could be that my disappointment with that influenced how much I liked it. In the interest of full disclosure, I am picky when it comes to smoked meat/barbecue. I have only ever found one that I liked better than my own - it was in Cleveland, TN and was called Phil's Country Biscuit and Barbecue to Go and is, unfortunately, no longer in business afaik - and only a couple that I like as well as mine.

I've been told that Blue Orleans, downtown, is pretty good by people whose taste I trust but haven't been there, myself.

As I haven't been able to imbibe as much since my health issues last year, I haven't been out looking for good beer selections, lately. That said, for beer selection (as in take home, not served on premises) the Riverside Beverage Company on Manufacturer's Road had a pretty nice selection the last time I was there.

The Indian place next to SW closed down. There is a Red Robin in HP.

My friends like the indian place at shallowford & lee behind the blimpies, where the good chinese place used to be. I can't stand that type of food so I don't know if its actually good or not. Sweet basil is still going strong, its good, and rain is an expensive thai place that I like, its also off lee near shallowford. Basically, if you circle hamilton place and drive down lee from the city cafe all the way to east gate mall (not really a mall now, its moved on to office space) you will find somethign good to eat. As you drive down lee you will see an ichiban (best japanese IMO) and several good asian places, amigos (my choice for mexican), a BBQ place (one is like another to me), hooters, another indian place (also supposedly good), and much more. I think the road name changes from lee to something else along this route, so be warned.

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned Bone's Smokehouse on E Brainerd Rd. I've had their BBQ pork and chicken, but have not eaten in the restaurant. My relatives who live in Ooltewah really like it.
Best value BBQ and very very good. But its off the main roads somewhat with little else in that direction, so you would literally have to pass 5 other BBQ places to get to it... I would recommend it if you have a GPS or plan for it ahead of time with directions, but its not one you would stumble over if cruising "food row".
Good grief Jonnin. Worst tour guide...ever.

At least he didn't say anything bad about Cheeseburger Cheeseburger.

I have not been in a few years but when I go, I always stop there. My picture might still be on the wall. I ate the pounder.

At least he didn't say anything bad about Cheeseburger Cheeseburger.

I have not been in a few years but when I go, I always stop there. My picture might still be on the wall. I ate the pounder.

Its good, used to go to the one on gunbarrel but its long gone.

• 1 year later...
I have been to Champys and it's ok. There used to be a place on Cherry called George's Chicken, it was the best. Truthfully, some of the best chicken I have had in the last 10 years has come from Golden Corral.

Some of the best dining in Chattanooga is:
1: Zarzours
2: Eretha Frankensteins
3: Nickis
And in that order. I'll give honorable mentions to Na Go Ya, Bee's, and Aunt Effie's.

I haven't been to Kaceys in a while but it is a bargain, Jenkins cost a little bit more but has better food. Jenkins is up there with some of the best fried chicken also, it may be as good as Champys.

Actually, Kacey's fried chicken is one of the draws for me. These use small chickens from somewhere, cut 'em up in non-standard ways, and the meat ain't bloated up with solution; love the light batter they use, deep fried I guess but seems much like old fashioned pan fried the way it turns out. They also have catfish fillets on Tuesdays, generally big thick meaty ones, and again not loaded up with gunky fried batter.

Jenkins is mighty good too all around, have some stellar desserts too.

- OS