Chattanooga

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RevScottie

I would not go downtown after dark especially on weekends at this time. People are being jumped by roaming thugs on a regular basis. A group was attacked outside of Sugars Ribs over the weekend. The Choo Choo is a nice place to visit but it is about a block away from one of the most crime ridden areas in the U.S. You have a 1 in 10 chance of being violently assaulted in this neighborhood. Chattanooga is currently undergoing an unprecedented problem with gangs and crime. It has spilled into the tourist areas downtown at night over the past two weekends. Hamilton Place area is not nearly as bad but has had a recent increase in armed robberies and property crimes. Stick to well known tourist areas during daylight areas and you will be fine. Our aquarium is one of the best in the nation and should be on your must see list.

Who said the Lookouts?

It's not uncommon to see Tommy Lasorda and Rick Honetcutt (who lives here) at games. You must visit the Lookouts!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]537[/ATTACH]

The City Cafe on Lee Hwy has great food, but they have a handmade "no weapons allowed on premises" sign on the door, and a legal posting on the wall by the register. They are the one exception I make about not patronizing anti-gun businesses because their food is so good.

Yes, I'm a hypocrite. :usa:

They deliver you know :)

I would not go downtown after dark especially on weekends at this time. People are being jumped by roaming thugs on a regular basis. A group was attacked outside of Sugars Ribs over the weekend. The Choo Choo is a nice place to visit but it is about a block away from one of the most crime ridden areas in the U.S. You have a 1 in 10 chance of being violently assaulted in this neighborhood. Chattanooga is currently undergoing an unprecedented problem with gangs and crime. It has spilled into the tourist areas downtown at night over the past two weekends. Hamilton Place area is not nearly as bad but has had a recent increase in armed robberies and property crimes. Stick to well known tourist areas during daylight areas and you will be fine. Our aquarium is one of the best in the nation and should be on your must see list.

Could I see some sort of source for these "statistics"?

Wow! I'm with ShamGlock on this one. Yes crime has risen in Chattanooga, as it has in every city that sees increased growth. I'm sure that coming from the metro Soddy-Daisy area Chattanooga is quite intimidating. Where exactly did the "1 in 10" data come from?

Wow! I'm with ShamGlock on this one. Yes crime has risen in Chattanooga, as it has in every city that sees increased growth. I'm sure that coming from the metro Soddy-Daisy area Chattanooga is quite intimidating. Where exactly did the "1 in 10" data come from?

Depends who you ask? I am in soddy and I love going downtown......especially at night.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Just over in the edge of Georgia, a few minutes from Chattanooga is a really cool amusement park called Lake Winnpesaukee. It's just like you went back in time fifty years.

Yep, matter of fact I used to go there with my granddad some, and just about 50 years ago, too.

I still remember the rickety old water boat rollercoaster thing, creepiest part was dark tunnel you went through before it went up and then down. Assuming it's still there, I'm sure they've rebuilt that baby a time or two since or it wouldn't still be standing. :doh:

- OS

The boat chute is still at Lake Winney,you want the best BBQ don't go to Sticky Knuckles go to Hillbilly Willys in Lookout Valley,and the area around GT is only rough if you are an office working yuppy

Guest RevScottie

Here is a link to the story on Chattanooga crime stats based on the OCHS report

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13265887

I stand corrected on the crime stats it was not 1 in 10, it was actually 1 in 9. Most Chattanooga residents are far more intimidated coming to Soddy Daisy than we are going downtown :doh:

The point of my post was that there are serious crime problems downtown, if you don't believe me ask one of the 30 Chattanooga police officers dispatched to the downtown area this past weekend to control the unruly crowd.

Edited by RevScottie

I read the article and yes its disturbing. I think your original comment gave the notion that if you entered this neighborhood you had a 1 in 10 chance of being the victim of a violent crime. The article stated that within one year you had those chances of being a victim, as in if you lived there every day of your life. It's bad news either way but I find it hard to believe that its the 10th most dangerous in the country. As for going to Soddy-Daisy, not after dark, i hear banjos. I probably know most of those 30 officers that responded last weekend.

Back on topic, come to Chattanooga and have a great time, its a neat city. As with any city, just gotta know where to steer clear of.

Just over in the edge of Georgia, a few minutes from Chattanooga is a really cool amusement park called Lake Winnpesaukee. It's just like you went back in time fifty years.

I remember going there for my 8th grade class trip in 1968 and hearing "Light My Fire" by The Doors playing on the PA system. I understand it hasn't changed at all.

I read the article and yes its disturbing. I think your original comment gave the notion that if you entered this neighborhood you had a 1 in 10 chance of being the victim of a violent crime. The article stated that within one year you had those chances of being a victim, as in if you lived there every day of your life. It's bad news either way but I find it hard to believe that its the 10th most dangerous in the country. As for going to Soddy-Daisy, not after dark, i hear banjos. I probably know most of those 30 officers that responded last weekend.

Back on topic, come to Chattanooga and have a great time, its a neat city. As with any city, just gotta know where to steer clear of.

This. +1000. The recent uptick in crime in the city is disturbing to be certain. I love this city. I have lived here all my life and I am just old enough to recall what a fight it was in the early 90's to take back downtown and turn this city in to something to be proud of. I'm still proud of this city and I will be damned if I will let a handful of disrespectful, undisiplined and misguided young punks run me out of the downtown area that I love and enjoy. In particular when I know how much of my hard earned tax revenue went into the restoration and maintenance of those areas. What this city needs is not a steer clear attitude right now. We need honest, tough, law abiding citizens to show these people that we will not pushed out of our city and relegated to the "safety" of our homes once the sun goes down. If you love downtown, go there, spend money, enjoy it. But don't be dumb about it.

I went to UT Chattanooga for a couple of years. It's no different than any other downtown city area.... There's nice places and not-so-nice places. Sometimes those are separated only by street signs which makes it very hard to distinguish for the unknowing.

Guest Victor9er

Gun Stores: I think the best in town is Shooter's Depot off of HWY 153 @ Shallowford Rd. Good selection, professional atmosphere, decent prices, and most importantly good/friendly service. They also have a nice little indoor range there as well. There's another gun store just down the road from my house that I literally drive right past on my way to Shooter's Depot. It's an extra 15 minute drive for me but worth it. Sportsman's Warehouse is a good place to stop for any other hunting/fishing gear. It's also on HWY 153 @ Lee Hwy about two exits down from Shooter's Depot.

Shopping/Eating: Hamilton Place Mall is just a little further down from both of those places, on the East side of town off of I-75. Like others have mentioned though, there's no carry allowed in the Mall itself. There is a Red Robin's and a Barnes & Noble attached to the Mall that you can enter separately without going into the Mall itself, but I don't know if either of those stores allow you to carry or not. There are some good restraunts around the Mall in the outer parking lot area. There's a P.F. Chang's, a good mexican restraunt (can't remember the name off hand), Jason's Deli, Bonefish Grill, Olive Garden... again not sure on which one's allow you to carry though.

If you take HWY 153 North to Hixon (North Chattanooga) you could always go to Northgate Mall, which does allow you to carry. It's a smaller mall, but there are several restraunts around it. Applebees attached to the mall, and along the outer edge there's Chili's, Outback, and Logan's to name a few. A little further down HWY 153 is another Olive Garder, Ruby Tuesday, Longhorn, McAllister's, and a few other places. There's a Target, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Office Depot for shopping.

Downtown: Cheeburger Cheeburger is basically a 50's themed hamburger, fries and a shake kind of place. It's a little pricey but we like the food there. There's always Buffallo Wild Wings right next door, T.G.I. Fridays across the street, Applebees and Chili's down the road. Those are all on Market St. The next street over is Broad St., where you can find a Ben & Jerry's shop on the corner right across from the aquarium. Next to that is the Mellow Mushroom which has some of the best pizza (but no guns allowed). A little further down is Sticky Fingers, good ribs (there's one over by Hamilton Place Mall as well).

Sears at HP isn't posted. Hixson and HP both have an Academy as well. Hixson has a Ichiban Japanese restraunt and HP has Kampai of Tokyo. All of the others as listed above are not posted as well or at least since I was there. The mexican is called Abelos (spelling)

Guest Victor9er
Sears at HP isn't posted. Hixson and HP both have an Academy as well. Hixson has a Ichiban Japanese restraunt and HP has Kampai of Tokyo. All of the others as listed above are not posted as well or at least since I was there. The mexican is called Abelos (spelling)

That's the place, Abuelo's Mexican Restraunt. And I forgot about the Acadamy stores also.

Thank you. I have been to GTs probably a hundred times and never once have I feared for my safety.

You folks feel green in East Lake you haven't spent enough time there. Having both friends and family who live off 35th and Clio right down the street I could write a whole section about the stupid things they have to put up with.

The story this week is about his neighbor sitting in the back seat of a car - Getting carjacked, taking a knife from the perp, then taking a tire iron from the perp, then konking the perp over the head. All while cruizing down the blvd.

The previous week was catching a guy in his dodge truck trying to steal crap from the center console....He was pulling him by his feet out of the car like playing tug of war with the dude still hanging on to the truck when the police arrived.

The stories never end.

Memphis and Nashville both have 3X the population of chattanooga, Knoxville is similar in population but much, much more dense in a true city environment (chattanoog sprawls and is suburban mostly). When our crime is on par with citys 3x the size or more heavily urban, there is a problem! As for my earlier comments, I haven't been back to st. elmo in years so if they cleaned it up, my apologies. If that is the case, I am glad to hear it as the old homes there have so much character and a little money can make them amazing once again.