Colt Extractor Question

Guest waldo

Guest waldo

I have a Colt Defender series 90. It has always ejected cartridges erratically. Many times right to my forehead. After searching in the net, it seems a fairly common problem. I sent it to Colt for that problem and a few others. Still does it. I found a vid on youtube on tensioning the extractor and checked it out. What I found does not seem like it should be. With a cartridge inserted, the extractor is not even touching the rim of the cartridge. It is actually hitting the tapper cone section. This is the first picture.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/pics067.jpg

That picture does not show it very good so I pulled the cartridge forward against the extractor to show the space between the rim of the cartridge and the slide.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/mysticcreations2112/pics068.jpg

I do not see how the extractor could do it's job if it is not touching the rim of the cartridge. Does anybody have an opinion on this. Could some 1911 owners check to see if their extractors touch the rim of the cartridges. If this is a problem, can it be adjusted by filing or is it just best to get another extractor. If so, where? Sorry to be so long winded.

Edited by waldo
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The extractor tip should be adjusted to clear the rim bevel. The rim should contact the inside of the hook and have somewhere between 3-4.5 pounds of pressure on the case. The depth of the hook should be .035 and the hook to breech face clearance should be close to .070. The rim itself will typically measure .040, so it is normal to see the round sit up off the breach face.

Now, you can definitely get it to eject better. Once the extractor is right you still may have to address the ejector. Bottom line, the shorter the gun the trickier it is to get a consistent pattern. As a gun gets shorter the opportunity to get that fat case out of the gun decreases because of the reduced slide travel.