Where are the Catfish Hotspots?

Guest WyattEarp

Guest WyattEarp

I'd like to know where the good catfishing spots are around Middle Tennesses.

I've been out to Percy Priest and have never caught a thing, save for a baby perch. But I prefer smaller city reservoirs and lakes and ponds that don't have allow recreational boat use (ski boats, jet ski's,), but only fishing boats with limits on engine sizes/hp ratings.

If anyone has a heads up on some good spots, please let me know. I've grown weary of going fishing at Percy Priest and coming home empty all the time. I've tried using crickets, stink bait, and liver.

Guest WyattEarp
Their on the bottom. Use a piece of hot dog.

Works for me. :)

sorry, let me reiterate...what other lakes, ponds, reservoirs are better for catfishing than Percy Priest?

Guest RobThatsMe
sorry, let me reiterate...what other lakes, ponds, reservoirs are better for catfishing than Percy Priest?

CenterHill Lake is a good one!

Guest WyattEarp
You couldn't pay me to eat a fish pulled from Percy Priest.

why do you say that David? Something wrong with the water?

CenterHill Lake is a good one!

thanks! I'll be sure to check it out.

Guest RobThatsMe
why do you say that David? Something wrong with the water?

thanks! I'll be sure to check it out.

You can also fish there below the dam for trout. The lake has catfish, smallmouth bass, crappie, and walleye.

I have done a lot of fishing for BIG cats. If you are looking for fish to eat this is not what you need to do.

Start the day by catching a dozen or so blue gill or pan fish for bait. Keep them alive the best you can. Next use a 5/0+ hook and a 4-6 oz weight on 20-30 pound line. I either make a "Y" with the fish on one leg and the sinker on the other leg or I will put everthing in line with the hook at the end the the sinker a few feet above it. Really depends on the bottom. The "Y" method works well if you need to keep the bait off the bottom like if there are rocks or vegitation.

Hook the live bait fish through the tail about 1" from the end of the tail. Cast it out but be careful not to use to much vigor or you will throw the fish off. I would normally use a long, slow, arched throw.

Finally it is a matter of waiting. Might have to wait 20 minutes or you might not catch anything. Either way the best thing to do is let it set and only check it every hour or so to make sure the fish is still alive. I have caught mostly blues and channels using this method. One thing is for sure when you do get a fish on it will be a big one.

Dolomite