I hate gunbroker !!

laktrash

I was bidding on a CS9

One bid first of week $425 did not meet reserve

I watched all week bidded 3 times until met reserve @$440

auction ended at 4:02 was watching to raise bid

BAM right before it ended guy did the "buy now" @ $470

I know I should have done the buy now but I was trying to save the shipping $30

What makes me mad is the guy waited until the end. I wouldn't have cared ifhe had done it earlier I was all set to get my MO.

All excited and now disappointed :cool:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no point bidding until the end, you will just get screwed by someone else if you bid too early.

I agree. To early just starts a bidding war & raises the price that much more. I never bid until the end, sometimes 4 or 5 seconds before the auction end. I've got a lot of stuff cheap that way. I had a Holley carb for sale on ebay once. It set there for a week with only one bid & I thought "Oh, great. I'm gonna lose my butt on this thing." Then in the last 30 seconds it got about 15 bids and the race was on!

Guest Lester Weevils

I don't bid on stuff online.

Thought I read about some auction softwares that discourage sniping this way-- If a last-minute bid is received, the auction end time is automatically bumped up by a few minutes to give other buyers a fighting chance to counter, if there is sufficient interest. So if there were several snipers fighting it out at the end, the one willing to pay the biggest price would win without getting killed just because he wasn't fast enough on the trigger the last few seconds.

Maybe it was some precious metals exchange that uses that system. That is the last auction site I read about a few months ago.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Potentially more profitable to the seller and less discouraging to bidders who might have been willing to be the high bidder if they had been fast enough in the last few minutes.

Guest WyattEarp

BAM right before it ended guy did the "buy now" @ $470

What makes me mad is the guy waited until the end. I wouldn't have cared ifhe had done it earlier I was all set to get my MO.

lol, why does that make you mad? He used bidding tactics to get what he wanted. I do it all the time on ebay. I'll sit and watch an auction from start to finish and if the price is within my range, I'll check the previous bid, and then I'll place a bid with about 5 seconds of the highest dollar amount I'm willing to pay, and I win 99% of the time. I love sniping auctions. :cool:

There is no point bidding until the end, you will just get screwed by someone else if you bid too early.

exactly. no sense tipping your hand before you need to. winning ebay auctions is like playing poker. know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

I don't bid on stuff online.

Thought I read about some auction softwares that discourage sniping this way-- If a last-minute bid is received, the auction end time is automatically bumped up by a few minutes to give other buyers a fighting chance to counter, if there is sufficient interest. So if there were several snipers fighting it out at the end, the one willing to pay the biggest price would win without getting killed just because he wasn't fast enough on the trigger the last few seconds.

Maybe it was some precious metals exchange that uses that system. That is the last auction site I read about a few months ago.

QUOTE]

Gunbroker is supposed to be that way. I have only used the buy now option.

Guest GunTroll

What I hate is the no reserve $1 start auctions. They always seem to get to be about the appropriate price when the time runs out. I suspect a friendly third party individual is running it up the first few days and then turns it over to the general public that last day or so if the price gets high enough. If the friend wins, the end up just exchanging ratings at no lose. I know it happens!

Also the $2 bid increment pisses me off when thats what you get beat by. Also the weird hour ending. Like 12am EST. I'm too old to stay up on a school night for that sort of bid war at that hour.

This one had no activity so there really any chance to counter bid. I didn't start to bid intil an hour before the ending. This guy came out of the blue with "buy now". If I was gonna do buy now I wouldn't until the end because you have nothing to gain. Hindsight is 20/20 but I should done the buy now in the beginning.

Lost the gamble over a few bucks

Did I screw up ?

S&W CS9 9MM Pistol-EXCELLENT SHAPE! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

I hate the reserve crap. Its just a time waster ... idiot puts gun up for $0.01 with a reserve of $800 or whatever, no one meets it, week in and week out it is cluttered with the same guns because they don't sell because you can't see the min bid.

Oh, and because I havent paid them money or won enough auctions, I cant buy now... so I can always be sniped, which prevents winning auctions, which prevents being able to buy now.... at one point I got irritated and contacted the seller and bought the directly thing outside GB (it was something he had a bunch of and sold 2 or so at a time). Its a horrible system but its what we have I guess. good stuff there sometimes.

Edited by Jonnin

Pick your "I'm not going a dime higher than blank" price. Post it. If these guys work like they're supposed to...the posted price will move up as others bid. When the price reaches your MAX...well, you didn't want that anyway.

Pay attention to who is bidding against you...it might be the same bidder everytime. If you lose and the gun shows up again...

I just started messing with gun broker,I must say

its set up is pretty flawed and that rule where the clock keeps ticking after you bid is plain silly,with ebay

......i also look at aution arms which I like allot better and find it to be more ebay like with a way easier interface and search

but they have no where near the numbers of firearms

Everyone has their own views on how things should or shouldn't be done.

I for one love how GB is set up. It just takes some time to learn and use to your advantage.

The extra 15 min rule is more like a live auction. Where as your sitting there and the auctioneer says going once going twice and so on and you get another bid. Then the auction keeps going.

I do feel any buy it now priced auctions should not have bids on them. But its all part of the game.

In this case the OP writes about the winner did have about 13 minutes left before the actual end time of the auction. Maybe he just ran across it wanted it 40$ more than the OP.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I hate the reserve crap. Its just a time waster ... idiot puts gun up for $0.01 with a reserve of $800 or whatever, no one meets it, week in and week out it is cluttered with the same guns because they don't sell because you can't see the min bid.

Oh, and because I havent paid them money or won enough auctions, I cant buy now... so I can always be sniped, which prevents winning auctions, which prevents being able to buy now.... at one point I got irritated and contacted the seller and bought the directly thing outside GB (it was something he had a bunch of and sold 2 or so at a time). Its a horrible system but its what we have I guess. good stuff there sometimes.

I was going to post how I wanted to "Buy Now" a few months ago and did not do it but then went back the next day with the intention of doing just that but it was too late as someone already had.

I dont feel so bad now as I did not realize that one had to pay them or have already won auctions in order to do so. I guess I need to go read the fine print a little better and find out how much it is that I need to pay them. I am not the type to do the bidding thing. If I see something that I want I look to see if there is a Buy Now price and if I feel that it is what I am willing to spend that is what I would do.

In two years of looking at the site that one time was the only time that I was willing to pay what was asked so I wonder if paying them anything is even worth it to me. Heck it was so imporant to me that I can not even remember just what that pistol was.:)

I am really glad that you posted that though, so I can now go and figure out if it is worth paying for that privilege or not.

Guest Lester Weevils

It has been several years since I ever bidded for anything.

From a few years ago, though I recalled that the FleaBay Buy Now button would go disabled after receiving the first bid over reserve? May be remembering that detail wrong, but such a rule ought to have prevented laktrash getting his feelings hurt?

I was going to post how I wanted to "Buy Now" a few months ago and did not do it but then went back the next day with the intention of doing just that but it was too late as someone already had.I dont feel so bad now as I did not realize that one had to pay them or have already won auctions in order to do so. I guess I need to go read the fine print a little better and find out how much it is that I need to pay them. I am not the type to do the bidding thing. If I see something that I want I look to see if there is a Buy Now price and if I feel that it is what I am willing to spend that is what I would do.In two years of looking at the site that one time was the only time that I was willing to pay what was asked so I wonder if paying them anything is even worth it to me. Heck it was so imporant to me that I can not even remember just what that pistol was.:) I am really glad that you posted that though, so I can now go and figure out if it is worth paying for that privilege or not.
It was last year so I could be a little muddled too, but as I recall I hit buy now and it said I needed to either have X number of transactions already or join with some sort of premium membership --- the rationale being that if you paid them or had a bit of a reputation, you wouldnt hit buy now and default on the seller, maybe as a form of griefing (make new account, buy now, over and over, to mess with some seller you dont like?). Not clear, but they worry that people with no rep can somehow mess up their system. I do not think you can just buy the option to buy-now, I think it is bundled with some sort of membership so try looking in those areas of the site.

I think I've only bought 4 or 5 items and the fee was only a dollar which I assumed would let me do the "buy now" . I know it lets you veiw certain things that you can't see without being loged in. That makes sense what Lester said about when the reserve was reached it shoud kick off, but in this case it didn't. I really don't like buying "a pig in the poke" to say but some items are flat out hard to come by and Gb seems to be the best option.

I bid with 2 prices in my head...one to start off with to see if I can get it cheap and the other which is what I'm willing to pay.

Pending on the time left on the auction depends on when I bid. I never go over my max bid nor do I get excited or disappointed about loosing. For me it's alot like playing poker machines or gambling with out loosing money in the end. I'll never bid near the Buy it Now prices either because I'm looking for a deal, not to pay what they asked for..

Having dealt with Eflea for over a decade and being in and out of several hobbies I now search for something, regardless of where it's at, with 2 scenario's and possible outcomes in my head.

1. I am actively searching for X. If I need X for a project or it's the missing link and I have searched far and wide locally for it for an extended amount of time I am likely to not second guess myself and use the buy it now or " I'll take it " if in a forum. Anything less (p.m.ing with an offer, or bidding with ample time left with a BIN remaining) is leaving room for it to disappear at any minute.

2. I have X in mind but I'm not quite sure if I want it. I've procrastinated to no end and passed up "a deal" on X at several shows only to regret it later. Now there's an X on Eflea for 1/4 the price but there's 3 days left. The OLD me would watch it like a hawk and bite my nails to the end. Now I bid my max with all shipping, etc calculated and let it ride. Otherwise I get too caught up in the "beat the other fool" mentality which is common for auctions.

I have settled on one outcome for either scenario and that is chill out and let it roll like water off a ducks back. If you want something bad enough then the inflated buy it now or asking price shouldn't stop you. I've paid way more than some things are worth but they're things that once bought I never intend to part with so $$ doesn't matter. If you're looking for a deal you have to be prepared for a let down when that deal doesn't happen.