Trying to decide whether to build or buy my first AR...any suggestions/advice?

Conley

I grew up shooting normal ol' country boy guns, but I recently shot a friend's AR and fell in love. My first question is simple; should I build or buy? It looks fairly simple to do, but I've never done it before. Any advice at all? Also, if you have a sweet AR for sale I'd be interested.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nysos

I am building my first, upper included. I figured I could buy a cookie cutter beginner AR, and end up spending $1000 upgrading it over the next year of owning it....or just build it how I want from the start. That, and I like tinkering with things. Even if I could have bought the same AR for the same amount, pre-assembled, I would have still bought all the pieces individually so I could put it together.

Just my .02, personal preference though. There are different levels of "building" or "putting together". Can get a complete upper, stripped lower, throw in your lower parts kit, or get a partially assembled lower, etc. I believe there are a couple of ARs for sale currently in the classified section as well...

I'm the same way; I like to tinker. It interests me to say that I built the gun. I'm wanting a possible long range rifle, so i'm thinking 20" barrel, even though I originally thought that might be a little long. Thoughts?

I've also come to the conclusion that I need a 1/8 twist just because that seems like I'll be able to hunt with it and shoot at the range and not run into any problems. Am I right?

My only issue with building vs "putting together" is that I'm not currently sure exactly all the parts that I'll need for the rifle. I know what I want it to look like externally, but internally I'm at the beginning.

It takes a lot more time, but I don't think you will regret building it. I suggest you get the right tools. If you build your own, you will wind up with the advantage of knowing the platform. The down side... it makes the addiction stronger.

I bought two first timer ARs (for myself and the wife), then sold my wife's upper and am now building it from scratch. All I'll need to do is replace the LPK and it will be a great rifle so I can start revamping my own :D

Most people are happy with stock ARs, so I would suggest looking around before deciding to build. But when you get there, I've got this to say: 1/8 twist is ideal for what you're doing. It will perform fine with any bullet you put through it. As Dolomite_Supafly would say, "you want your barrel twist to just barely make the bullet stable, so it tumbles when it impacts." ;)

As for the "20... There's a lot of ifs and buts about this question, but in my opinion you'll only find a decrease in velocity between "20 and "16, around 200 fps. So if we're shooting out to 500 yards, you'll be okay--beyond that, you may see some trouble. I stick with 16", myself.

Whatever your choice is, you'll be happy with it.

Guest nysos

As far as what parts you need, it kind of depends on how you buy certain things. Some buttstocks come with buffer tube and everythign to mount it, others you need to buy all the extras to mount the buttstock. So part of it depends on what way you go with certain parts. The stock I got has its own buffer tube mounted inside the stock, and all I needed was a carbine length buffer spring. Some barrels come with gas blocks and flash hiders, many do not. There are some AR15 build kit check lists online that you can use, but in "general" here is a basic rundown of what you will need to get for a rifle to function - excluding things that you may or may not add, such as iron sites.

*lower*

stripped lower receiver

lower parts kit

buttstock completion kit

buttstock

You will also need an armorers wrench at the least. Depending on what tools you have lying around, may need to buy some punches, and you will also need a vice or some way to secure your receivers when working on them. If you have a vice, would recommend getting a vice block of some sort if you plan to tinker on it, or build other ARs in the future.

Disclaimer: Have not had 1 full cup of coffee yet this morning, so I may have forgotten something.

*upper*

stripped or assembled upper (possibly may have to purchase dust cover and forward assist depending on style of upper)

charging handle

bolt carrier group

handguard of some sort

gas block

gas tube

barrel

depending on barrel, a flash hider as well

Guest nysos

There is still more homework, there are different sized barrel diameters for different gas blocks. Big hole vs small hole receivers. Commercial vs mil spec butt stocks. Different length gas tubes, whether you need a low profile gas block, something railed, something simple, something with a built in fixed front sight....

All that you have to figure out on your own depending on how you want to build it ;)

Understandable on all points. Do you guys know a reliable place where I can get a complete list of what I'll need and tips to assemble it? I'm probably going to go with a 16" barrel from what I've been reading, but that's not a major concern to me. The major concern is building a rifle and it not shooting at all. Does it make financial sense to build or just buy a base model (S&W optics ready) rifle?

Understandable on all points. Do you guys know a reliable place where I can get a complete list of what I'll need and tips to assemble it? I'm probably going to go with a 16" barrel from what I've been reading, but that's not a major concern to me. The major concern is building a rifle and it not shooting at all. Does it make financial sense to build or just buy a base model (S&W optics ready) rifle?

To me, it makes financial sense for me and mine to be happy and comfortable. That's why I don't let my place get hot in the summer, that's why I dish out the green to take trips and get my ass handed to me via the gas prices, and that's why I'm rebuilding my ARs. I see no problem with buying a stock AR if you're going to be comfortable with it, but I like to personalize my rifle for me.

So go out and take a look. Pick one up and decide for yourself. Take the plunge and get a stock one if that's your deal--if you don't like it down the road, you can change it. ARs are too adaptable to be a "buy one and I'm done" deal.

Thanks a lot, Jon. That puts things into perspective a little. Now I'd like to talk brands.

What brand do you guys prefer? I like the Bravo Company stuff, but it all seems similar to me. What parts do I need to spend money on? Some of these things seem like the quality doesn't matter, but some of it obviously does need to be quality stuff. Thoughts?

Edited by Conley

Brands aren't as important as you might think, since most of them don't make their own stuff. The flexibility of the platform is a blessing and a curse. lots of choices means lots of decisions. I like use a lot of magpul stuff. Most receivers are good quality. A mil spec bolt carrier group is a good thing.

You gotta have some idea how much you're willing to spend, and what kind of shooting you plan to do. Free float handguards improve accuracy. Start rolling up a list and throw it out here. This bunch will keep you out of trouble.

I'm with Mike's whole statement. Magpul has some quality, affordable parts out there (IE, their whole MOE line). I posted a list of parts I wanted to buy on a few forums and let them pick at it until I came up with mine.

ETA: To illustrate my point, I'll share what I did:

Here on TGO:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/58706-piecing-together-new-special-purpose-rifle-upper-new-project.html

On two other forums I participate:

http://morningstarsaga.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5354563

http://tacticalunderground.us/smf/index.php?topic=1254.0

Edited by Jon_L
adding illustration
Guest nysos

Yep magpul makes great stuff, and at all price standpoints. Can get a great buttstock for $50, or you can drop the cash and get a REALLY fancy one for $250, but both will be built like tanks. On my build, I got a magpul grip, magpul stock, magpul rail covers, and magpul angled front grip. Great built stuff and a great price.

Another way you can save or spend some money real quick depends on what route you want to go with sites/optics. If you don't plan on doing any sort of optics, get some nice fixed sites (even though some nice fixed sites may run you more than a lower end red dot), but if you get a red dot and still want some irons. Magpul has some polymer flip up sites that are pretty inexpensive and really popular, just don't mount the front site on a gas block ;) Some nice machined flip up sites could run you $150 alone. So keep that in mind when you are designing your build around what type of shooting you plan to do.

I have the Magpul MBUS rear sight on my rifle. I'm not sure about the GEN 2 sights, but the rear first generation sights have no elevation adjustments, so they have to be adjusted in the front. That's hardly anything to gripe about though, I was just puzzled, as a first timer to AR sights. I zero'd in at 50 yards and left it there.

Guest nysos
I have the Magpul MBUS rear sight on my rifle. I'm not sure about the GEN 2 sights, but the rear first generation sights have no elevation adjustments, so they have to be adjusted in the front. That's hardly anything to gripe about though, I was just puzzled, as a first timer to AR sights. I zero'd in at 50 yards and left it there.

I was just noticing the same thing with my sites that I just got when playing around with them last night, no big deal as I don't plan to adjust elevation all the time, but would have been easier having a second dial on the back. Not a deal breaker though. Can always swap out for a different rear site :)

Also to OP, be careful when you start picking out parts - before I started picking out parts I was like "ok, I am going to give myself an 8-900 budget roughly". Then the mentality of "if I am going to do it from the ground up, I want to do it right from the start!" came in. My logic was if I don't get it exactly how I want from the start, I will end up having to buy the new part, and have the spare part sitting around or sell it and lose money, so it would just be better to spend a little more money at the start. I didn't go piston system or anything, but I kind of overshot my budget just a "tad". :/

It is a slippery slope and I haven't even got my first one together yet (lower is backordered 8 weeks and they haven't refunded my money yet). ;)

I got my first AR a year ago and now own 4.... ALL from TGO members(thanks guys). My first and still favorite is a brand new Doublestar I acquired that had been assembled by a member here. Buying a stock rifle for a good price and then upgrading things as your budget/desire allows can make you perfectly happy. You don't have to go all out on the first one. :)

I started by playing around with things on one rifle and ended up liking it so much that I did the same to all. Mine all have:

Magpul buttstock

Hogue grip

Inexpensive quad rail

Foregrip

Inexpensive light and converted scope mount

Red dot optic

You can get different colors or configurations on similar items to give each weapon a little bit of character. You also don't have to spend megabucks to get the functionality you desire. THIS is the beauty of the AR platform - if you can dream it, you can probably find it or adapt it. I've yet to build my first but I've pondered it a LOT. I'm afraid the disease would overwhelm me if I did. :D

The Hogue grip is great. I have Magpul MOE grips on my carbines, partly for looks, and partly because the guns take batteries. The other two, my scoped varmint and my big bore (with the imaginary RRA upper) have Hogues.

Building an AR isn't for everybody. It's simple enough, especially if you've done a lot of delicate mechanical work. It still takes time getting up to speed, and requires tools.