What is a custom AR15?

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

I mean the whole platform is modular so an item/part can be installed today and uninstalled the next. Many companies that sell various parts don't make them in house. There hardly is a true "new, never been done before" set-up that comes to mind unless your "add on" is installed one rail slot ahead/behind of the last guys :screwy: . Seems like the differences in prices greatly depend on the manufacturer's logo or stamping of the parts and less on quality IMO.

Don't go flaming me too bad for asking. I have assembled many *note, I did not say build*. Owned a few and am assembling one now for myself again, so I do like them to a degree. I'm just pointing out the fact that I find it funny to call them "custom rifles". Seems like a stretch to me. Wouldn't every AR rifle be a custom? Darn near all you need is a wrench and a vise and your off and "custom" rifle building. The most customizing I have ever done to a customers rifle is cut barrel length and thread.

Flame away for I'm sure even questioning the platform will get me in hot water with a few. :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Custom: Most people customize their feature/parts list if they don't just but it off the rack

Build: Two less syllables than assemble.

I love the AR15 platform because it's so modular. All 3 1/2 of mine are different. Will be 4 as soon as RRA assembles my upper.

Guest GunTroll

I can buy that. I have been seeing "custom" get thrown around a bit and as I said earlier it just sounded funny to me.

I like the syllable comment :rolleyes:

Years ago “Custom Guns†implied a higher level of craftsmanship and accuracy; not necessarily different.

Today most people only care about cost. The term “Custom†is used to get more money. A guy builds an AR out of the cheapest parts he can find on the net. He has learned on this rifle and made mistakes. Then he wants to do better, so now he tries to sell that POS basement assembly for the cost of a quality rifle by calling it a “Custom Buildâ€.

For me to pay you extra money for a “Custom Rifle†you need to have a reputation and a proven performance record on the range.

Years ago “Custom Guns” implied a higher level of craftsmanship and accuracy; not necessarily different.

Today most people only care about cost. The term “Custom” is used to get more money. A guy builds an AR out of the cheapest parts he can find on the net. He has learned on this rifle and made mistakes. Then he wants to do better, so now he tries to sell that POS basement assembly for the cost of a quality rifle by calling it a “Custom Build”.

For me to pay you extra money for a “Custom Rifle” you need to have a reputation and a proven performance record on the range.

I agree with you to a point. Using the term "custom build" to sell an AR makes me chuckle. With that said, Guntroll also made some good points in the OP. It doesn't take any true gun smithing skills to put one of them together. The guys on the line at Smith and Wesson don't have magic fingers. Installing a headspaced barrel assembly on an AR requires more muscle than anything else. As long as you get it past minimum torque, it either works or it doesn't.

I have seen a few "expensive" rifles for sale on TGO that were listed for less than the bill of materials. Parts quality can vary widely, but receivers are probably the exception. Those $50 Palmetto State lowers look great, and are quite possibly made on the same tooling as the M&P lowers. The difference in quality is all in the BCG, barrel, and furniture. It's just the way a modular platform works. Nothing is proprietary, no matter who "manufactures" the final product.

I can imagine. When I heard of the round a few months ago I took a look, and I don't remember being pleased AT ALL. Let me know when you get it together and all's done :D

Loading ammo right now. RRA doesn't seem to know when they're gonna ship the upper. Everything else is done. The gun will be ready for bore sighting within 5 minutes after I get it home. No irons on this one. Real scope.

custom, to me, means one of a couple of things.... the buyer called up the maker, and had it built to specifications, or the builder is a pro who made one from hand picked parts with the intent to sell it, or the buyer modified a stock gun over time then sold it. If some company makes 10000 identical guns, they are not custom...

I'm hanging with Guntroll on this one. If a gun has had some serious smithing to make it perform better, I call that custom. Hard to do with an AR, unless you go to someone like White Oak, who really does some some fitting. I don't think they even call their guns custom.

Guest GunTroll

At least no one has revoked my membership in all things related to guns since my questioning of the platform here.

I know of a lot of gunsmiths who despise the AR. I think they should despite the internet or the free flow of information instead. With a few purchases of tools and all the parts needed to have a complete AR and even a dial up connection to the internet you are "gunsmithing" to today's modern standards. I think some of the older gunsmiths sort of resent the AR for they are not generally needed to work on one to get it fixed or built. And that in some way contributed to the designs success in our culture of DIY'r type folks.

If you buy it or build it and apply a little BK philosophy...its custom. I can accept that. I will not pay extra for a adjective,"custom" however. Tell me about the parts used instead.

Custom, MILL-SPEC, Match, and "used by special forces" or attaching anything special forces related to describe quality somehow are all greatly overused to sell a good/service IMO. Maybe I'm just to cynical in my ripe young age.

Guest nysos

I agree with OP, but I also agree that a home built ar can be custom. Custom to me is defined as something that you cannot buy right off the assembly line by X company, because all the parts are picked to suit the need of the buyer. Guns, cars, computers, whatever. If anything I would have to say that the term "custom" has just gotten diluted with certain things, such as ARs, glocks, or 1911s, etc. due to so much aftermarket support there are many drop in parts that you can purchase to customize a stock gun to your liking.

I look at it much the same as the car world. There are three levels involved.

Stock - just as it came from the manufacturer

Modified - throw a few different parts at it (handguards, wheels, seat covers, grips, etc.)

Custom - Going completely out there and doing something completely different.

The problem with it though is that modified, in the gun world will scare people off. Who knows what someone hacked on to get some part to work in it. And thats why I think a lot of people use custom. It sounds better. Even if it really isn't.

I haven't seen any other AR's like mine but I'm sure its not entirely unique. I would consider it a custom AR though since it was assembled by me using a very specific parts list. And just from that, it fits this definition of custom.

–adjective12.made specially for individual customers: custom shoes.
Guest GunTroll

I once asked a previous employer how much torque he applied to the barrel nut. He replied " I go with fart tight". Never hearing that before I asked what that means? "you know, right about at the point a fart creeps out...stop or just barely pass it. Otherwise you'd have a problem :popcorn: " . I no longer work there. I suppose that could be considered custom built though right?