What do you do for the military?

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

Be it active, NG, Reserves, vets. What do you do for them?

I have been pondering doing something for these heroes. I have no money to donate for any of the numerous causes. I have very little "free" time. But yet I want to do something. Since I am a gunsmith, hunter, and avid firearm enthusiast, I'm thinking I'd like to stay with what I know. Perhaps build a rifle (not an erector set AR type) and donate it to a worthy soldier. Not sure where to go from there however. Maybe seek out some Wounded Warrior program and get direction from them? Figure Ft. Campbell has a wounded warrior unit I can go to. Ft. Stewart, GA had one for I was in it. I guess I want to make sure whatever it is I do is for a real deserving soldier. I don't want any bad apple(s). Perhaps collect some donations for this project from like minded TN gun owning patriot supporting folks like those here on TGO :) . I don't know. Any thoughts?

I am a vet myself by the way. I got this itch after going to my neighbors battalion welcome home party next door to my home. I saw a few prosthetics, many heroes, heard stories about the guys who didn't make it, and many families. I guess I just want to say thanks in some small way. Just thought I'd see what you folks are doing or at least get some ideas from you, for what I can do. Maybe someone here has some connections you can put me in contact with. Never hurts to ask :D .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how to help you, but I admire that you're trying to help. I'm very active with Patriot Guard and Wounded Warrior Project. Myself and my MC do alot of events/charity rides/fundraisers for vets and active military.

I got out in 2004 due to injury and didn't get to deploy. Ever since it's been a dedication to make sure the men and women who did get my full support.

Guest mustangdave

This is a TALL order...I'm sure you know that these HEROES don't necessarily want the attention for themselves...I might suggest you contact the base Morale & Welfare office...for some ideas and or guidance. There are probably tons of organizations you can volunteer time with...like the USO... from there you could get an idea of who/what to do....just ramblin'

There are a few soldiers at Ft. Campbell who have a project to take recovering soldiers on or near the base on hunting ad fishing trips. It's a very worthy cause and a good way for a sportsman to help some soldiers. I met them several months ago, but I will have to search around for their card.

Guest GunTroll

Yeah I know I maybe running into a wall, but I figure since its been on my mind for the last few months and hasn't subsided, perhaps I'm being called to do for reasons I do not know.

I figured perhaps some active duty, or active in the military in general type folks would see this and their wheels would start turning and put me in contact with a deserving individual or an organization that can point me towards an individual. Be it hunting (which I have no private deer hunting land to take anyone to) or like I mentioned , build a custom bolt gun for. I don't know, but I do know I would like to do something. And maybe nothing will come of this but inspiration for others to want to do something for these folks. Either way, win.

Guest mustangdave

Guntroll...easiest thing to do...IMH Retired Navy guys opinion...when you see a couple of the boys in digital cammo...go up to em shake their hand...or if you see a service man and his family out to dinner at you local watering hole...POP for the families dinner tab...its not much but I've gotten a lot of satisfaction from it and you sometimes get to swap sea stories with em...good luck at whatever approach you take

Guest GunTroll

Thanks man. Guess I watch too much hunting channel shows that take wounded warriors out on fantastic hunts and maybe I got carried away. When the time comes I'll find a way to give thanks. Thanks again!

There is a Warrior Transition Unit at Ft Campbell. (WTU). I am a Senior Healthcare Advisor (NCO) to an MP BDE and have soldiers at a few of these WTU's in the south. If you need the contact info for one I can get it for you. I find it a privilege and a honor to

work with these individuals. Just shoot me a PM if needed.

My brother's unit is in Iraq right now. They have been looking for a commemorative weapon to mark their tour. I put them in contact with Spikes Tactical for a custom build. You could spend some time researching which companies do commemorative engraved weapons for units deploying and be the front man state side to coordinate units purchases. Wouldn't cost you anything, but would mean alot to returning soldiers. Maybe knives with unit crest and service dates, etc. Even talk to the manufacturer about giving one weapon to a deserving or injured soldier if "X" number are bought by the unit.

I spent 30 years active duty in the USMC. I then spent 20 years in the Tennessee State Guard, in direct support of TNARNG units. I went for four tours in VietNam away from my wife and kids. I shake a lot of hands and thank guys for their service. Just a handshake and a few words really boosts morale. If you want to get into active support, check in with the Veterans' groups in your area (American Legion, VFW, Veterans of the Vietnam War, etc.) They have all kinds of projects going and they could probably use help. As a Viet Nam vet, I am glad to see the civilian support our Military is getting.

Guest GunTroll
I spent 30 years active duty in the USMC. I then spent 20 years in the Tennessee State Guard, in direct support of TNARNG units. I went for four tours in VietNam away from my wife and kids. I shake a lot of hands and thank guys for their service. Just a handshake and a few words really boosts morale. If you want to get into active support, check in with the Veterans' groups in your area (American Legion, VFW, Veterans of the Vietnam War, etc.) They have all kinds of projects going and they could probably use help. As a Viet Nam vet, I am glad to see the civilian support our Military is getting.

I'd like to thank you Sir!

Not in the military but work for a Developer who builds housing (RCI= Residential Communties Initiative) on many Army, Navy and Air Force installations across the country. Also build new hotels and rennovate existing lodging for the Army (PAL=Privatized Army Lodging) across the country.

Very rewarding hearing the responses from military families after they recieve the keys to their new homes.

Guest GunTroll
Maybe. Half the country doesn't.

I believe you are looking at this thread the wrong way. Go complain about paying taxes somewhere else MODERATOR! You should feel privileged to be part of the 50% of citizens that contribute to their welfare. Shame on you MODERATOR!

Guest GunTroll
Not in the military but work for a Developer who builds housing (RCI= Residential Communties Initiative) on many Army, Navy and Air Force installations across the country. Also build new hotels and rennovate existing lodging for the Army (PAL=Privatized Army Lodging) across the country.

Very rewarding hearing the responses from military families after they recieve the keys to their new homes.

Thats what I'm talking about! Great job guy!

I believe you are looking at this thread the wrong way. Go complain about paying taxes somewhere else MODERATOR! You should feel privileged to be part of the 50% of citizens that contribute to their welfare. Shame on you MODERATOR!

Shame on the veteran? I served, and I pay. Did/do you?

Guys in the military don’t have money, or at least we didn’t when I was in. Without making a big production out of it (that would attract those that want something for nothing) maybe you could donate some gunsmithing time for those in your area that are serving or recently returned. Maybe you could do free FFL transfers for active duty or those that it is brought to your attention deserving.

When you see someone in uniform, shake their hand and thank them.

Shame on the veteran? I served, and I pay. Did/do you?

Here's an idea, stop being a thread crapping asshat.

We have a member here trying to do a damn fine thing and you want to come in here with your ****ty attitude and your snide remarks and **** it all up. Find something to contribute to this thread or simply stfu.

Back on topic, thank you for trying to do something. I'm sure anything you do will be greatly appreciated.

If you still want to do a build or maybe some smith work for a deserving soldier I will keep my ears open for a deserving candidate here on Ft. Campbell for you.

Guest GunTroll

Thanks all! Those are mighty fine suggestions. I'm really hung up on wanting to build a rifle for a deserving young man/woman, I guess they can be old too :rolleyes: . It will take some time to do in between other projects so I know that makes it difficult. I was once myself in a WTU at Ft. Stewart and I know the window can be short to get this done in time for some of those heroes who get put there. For others its like an sentence so to speak.

I may have a lead as to a contact with Ft. Campbell WTU. That's a start. But if anyone knows someone feel free to tell me privately or publicly if you wish about his/her story.

....When you see someone in uniform, shake their hand and thank them.

During the times I'm in uniform as a TN State Guard member, I've had many thank me for my service. That's in contrast to the attitudes expressed toward us during the Vietnam era.