Reposted and Retitled: Would this be a wise thing to do at this point in time?

res308

I'm thinking of going back to revolvers, since that's what I love, and I shoot them better anyway. I'm thinking of letting go of my kit to do this, but, the question is: Would this be a wise thing to do at this point in time? I have a Glock 17 gen 3 right now, with 3000 or more rounds - including hollowpoint and FMJ, 15 or 20 mags, Advantage Arms .22 conversion with 10 mags. I've often made the statement that I'd certainly be content if all I had were revolvers. Every time we go to the range, it's usually several different departments attending. I'll consistently outshoot most of the others there, and outshoot myself between the issued G23 and the backup .38. All that to say that I've always been more confident and competent with a revolver. And before there's any smart comments about police being lousy shooters, well, there are some there. But, we also have some darn good shooters, including me. In other words, I could be content spending the rest of my life with some good quality revolvers. Plus, I'm wanting to train my boys up on them as well. And, I also like the fact that I don't have to spend any money I may have on mags, and spend it on ammo instead.

I'm kind of on the fence about this right now, so I'm asking for good, common-sense opinions from those on here with some good common sense.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so ure I qualify as someone with good common sense; but I have found myself more and more attracted to wheel guns in the last several years. I seem to shoot a little better with them, at least with 3in or longer barrels. And at least for me, carry is much easier with a j-frame or similar gun. The safety and relaibility issues also enter into the equation as well. I've bought several Smith's lately, and just picked up a couple of Ruger SP101's chambered in 357 mag, one with a CTC grip.

Don't think I'll ever give up completely on autoloaders, but the wheel guns are definitely making a comeback.

I like what you said, memphis. Seems like I always take a revolver with me when I go to the range. An old model 10 or 15, or even one of the little snubbies. It just seems comfortable and fun to shoot, as you say, like an old friend.

But my dearest old friend is still my Belgian Browning Hipower. :)

Unless you need to sell for some reason, why not keep the Glock? I, too, prefer revolvers and have never met a Glock that I liked (not to say that they aren't good guns, I just don't care for them and have never owned one.) I do have a few semiauto pistols, just not any Glocks.

With that Glock kit, however, you have both a rimfire and centerfire pistol that could also be a good training tool for your boys. Sure, train them largely on revolvers but why not teach them to operate a semiauto, too? You never know, they may be the opposite of you and might like semiautos better than revolvers (BLASPHEMY!) If so, having a Glock with the .22 conversion and a couple of bulk packs of .22LR ammo for them to shoot might make a difference in how interested they get in shooting, in general.

Edited by JAB

I own two revolvers (I love my SA the most, but it isn't very practical to carry) and one autoloader (glock 30). I just like them better all around. Better shooting with them, easier to clean, and they have more "character.

Edited by ls3_kid
I own two revolvers (I love my SA the most, but it isn't very practical to carry) and one autoloader (glock 30). I just like them better all around. Better shooting with them, easier to clean, and they have more "character.

I like my .357 better than my .45acp in some ways. I think it shoots straighter. My 45 is hitting a little low. I think a revolver is more challenging to carry concealed (the bigger ones obviously). And I will agree on the sentimental value of the old wheel guns... I can't begin to even think about getting rid of my smith.

I'm thinking of going back to revolvers, since that's what I love....In other words, I could be content spending the rest of my life with some good quality revolvers. Plus, I'm wanting to train my boys up on them as well.

I think you answered your own question on what you should do.

But that doesn't mean autos and revolvers still can't exist in the same household.

Guest Ae-35

If ya re-load then, I could go with just the 6 wheelguns I own. I know longer re-load (space), Seems wheelgun shooting is a lot more about rythum. Lets face it, autos can be boring, still I own a 1911 (45), S&W SD (40) and the G19. The only thing cheaper to shoot than 9's are 22's. Get, if ya don't already, a 22 revolver and start the boys on it. I'm sure like most, they will develop a love for the revolver.It's surprisingly harder to teach someone to shoot a revolver well, if they started on the auto-pistol first, not the reverse. JMO

I like what you said, memphis. Seems like I always take a revolver with me when I go to the range. An old model 10 or 15, or even one of the little snubbies. It just seems comfortable and fun to shoot, as you say, like an old friend.

But my dearest old friend is still my Belgian Browning Hipower. :rolleyes:

Well, now there's a gun with some serious character! And I like the way Memphis put that, too.

I'm thinking of going back to revolvers, since that's what I love, and I shoot them better anyway. I'm thinking of letting go of my kit to do this, but, the question is: Would this be a wise thing to do at this point in time? I have a Glock 17 gen 3 right now, with 3000 or more rounds - including hollowpoint and FMJ, 15 or 20 mags, Advantage Arms .22 conversion with 10 mags. I've often made the statement that I'd certainly be content if all I had were revolvers. Every time we go to the range, it's usually several different departments attending. I'll consistently outshoot most of the others there, and outshoot myself between the issued G23 and the backup .38. All that to say that I've always been more confident and competent with a revolver. And before there's any smart comments about police being lousy shooters, well, there are some there. But, we also have some darn good shooters, including me. In other words, I could be content spending the rest of my life with some good quality revolvers. Plus, I'm wanting to train my boys up on them as well. And, I also like the fact that I don't have to spend any money I may have on mags, and spend it on ammo instead.I'm kind of on the fence about this right now, so I'm asking for good, common-sense opinions from those on here with some good common sense.
If you like revolvers, get a revolver. However, consider a few things: Having one 9mm semi auto around with some ammo is a useful thing to have, 9mm is one of the most common rounds and you can usually find it, higher capacity has some merits, and you can expose the boys to a different type of firearm. I would keep one semi auto regardless, for a variety of reasons. That said, have you considered a 9mm revolver? There are some rugers and other brands that have a 357/38/9mm setup with 2 cylinders. That way you could at least USE 9mm ammo in a platform that you like, and you could get rid of the auto if you disagree with my logic behind keeping it. Given that you have that much ammo, this may be a good choice?
If you like revolvers, get a revolver. However, consider a few things: Having one 9mm semi auto around with some ammo is a useful thing to have, 9mm is one of the most common rounds and you can usually find it, higher capacity has some merits, and you can expose the boys to a different type of firearm. I would keep one semi auto regardless, for a variety of reasons. That said, have you considered a 9mm revolver? There are some rugers and other brands that have a 357/38/9mm setup with 2 cylinders. That way you could at least USE 9mm ammo in a platform that you like, and you could get rid of the auto if you disagree with my logic behind keeping it. Given that you have that much ammo, this may be a good choice?

Good take on the issue. I hve 2 9mm revolvers; a SW( forget the model number at the moment) and a recent Taurus 9. They are both very accurate, at least as much as I can be, and fun to shoot. Felt recoil is more pronounced in both, feels more like a 357 round in them, and cleanup is a little more necessary. Seems to me that the 9mm cartridge is much more dirty than 38/357 rounds. Always seems to really foul up quickly.

• Admin Team

I'd keep the Glock, regardless of whether you choose to carry a revolver or not.

The biggest disadvantages to carrying a revolver full time is that your reload time suffers compared to a auto loading setup, and your capacity is greatly diminished. Doing a combat reload on a revolver, even at its fastest, is still likely slower than even a slow, unpracticed auto load for most people.

Now, that may not necessarily be a detriment in your mind, depending on your thoughts about carrying. I pocket carry a j-frame daily, but when it comes to carrying for work, walking the dog at night or whatever, I go for an auto with a spare mag. For the last couple of years, that's been a Glock 19 with a Surefire x300 in a Raven Concealment Phantom LC holster. I still carry the revolver, but it's relegated to a backup role at that point.

I have this recurring nightmare where there are two assailants in my house, and all I've got out of the safe is my j-frame. I always come out on top, but wake up in a sweat with a lot to think about as I try to go back to sleep. Needless to say, before I go to bed, whether the j-frame goes into the safe or not, something with a larger capacity certainly comes out.

Thanks, gentlemen. I don't really think this is something I'll ever do. Sometimes we just need a little encouragement and some fellow shootists to talk some sense into us.

I still like 'em better though.;)

Guest The Highlander

Keep the Glock and buy a revolver.

I really like the looks of revolvers, but I shoot semi-autos much better, most of the time, hence that is what I carry 99% of the time. And I have some high-end wheelguns from the S&W Performance Center, etc. Still shoot the pistols better. I'd hate to be without either!

Guest TresOsos

Res 308, you said in your intial post you've always been more confident and competent with revolvers. I agree with the others, I don't think you should get rid of your Glock. But we all make our journey through the gun culture in different ways and have different taste and prefrences. If your confident and competent with revolvers then its your life and your choices go with what you have faith in.

I have an older brother that started his journey years before I started mine and is the only man I personally know who wore out a high quality .357 revolver. Fired so many rounds that the frame stretched beyond repair and would not reliably set off the primers anymore. To this day he owns no auto pistols, he carries a 3" .357 and you do not want him shooting at you. He takes quite a bit of ribbing from his sons(they are adults now) and other friends because revolvers are not cool, but he's smart enough to realize its not about cool, its about using the tool that fits you. If you feel a revolver is a better fit then by all means give it very serious concideration.