Moving to Georgia

Guest TigerDirect

Guest TigerDirect

I am going to be moving to our neighbor to the south at the first of September. I want to get a Georgia Firearms License (of course), but I'm going to be living in DeKalb county, and they can take over three months to issue the permit while surrounding counties can do it in three to four days.

My concern is that in order to get the Georgia permit, I have to have a Georgia driver license. This requires me to surrender my Tennessee license. My question is, will surrendering my Tennessee driver license void my Tennessee HCP? My feeling is that it will, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive on that.

Edited by TigerDirect
Typo
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say for sure either, but tend think you may be right.

Sounds like you may need to contact the HCP office here and/or where you would be applying for your permit in GA.

You would think there is a way to carry while things are being transfered...

Guest TigerDirect

Called the Handgun Permit office...I was told that when Georgia issues me a driver license, my Tennessee HCP becomes invalid, just as I thought.

I will probably apply for either a Pennsylvania or New Hampshire non-resident permit and use that while I am waiting on the Georgia license.

Guest TigerDirect
I have no idea of actual Georgia law but according to

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

other states' permits are only honored if you are not a Georgia resident.

- OS

Where did you see that on that page? I searched up and down and couldn't find it.

GeorgiaPacking.org's Reciprocity Page says that "Georgia recognizes any carry permit issued by a state listed in Green. It does not matter if you are a resident or a non-resident of the issuing state." Handgunlaw.us's page for Georgia says the same.

Where did you see that on that page? I searched up and down and couldn't find it.

GeorgiaPacking.org's Reciprocity Page says that "Georgia recognizes any carry permit issued by a state listed in Green. It does not matter if you are a resident or a non-resident of the issuing state." Handgunlaw.us's page for Georgia says the same.

Yeah, but that's for visitors. TN is much the same, you must get a TN permit here after 6 months' residency, even though you may have an out of state permit.

The Georgia Packing page, under Carrying Weapons/Long Version, says:

"f. If you have a license to carry from a state that honors the Georgia Weapons Carry License, as long as you are not a resident of Georgia and you follow Georgia laws while you are here."

I don't know myself, just quoting. I'd find the pertinent GA statues, myself. Another question is when does one become a GA resident? TN is immediate upon intention, some states have a time period, though. And you must get a GA DL before gun permit? Must you apply for permit in county of residence? What if you are staying somewhere temporarily etc.

Must say that it seems counter-intuitive to me for GA to deny you to carry for 3 months or so having a valid permit from a state with which they have reciprocity.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest TigerDirect
Yeah, but that's for visitors. TN is much the same, you must get a TN permit here after 6 months' residency, even though you may have an out of state permit.

The Georgia Packing page, under Carrying Weapons/Long Version, says:

"f. If you have a license to carry from a state that honors the Georgia Weapons Carry License, as long as you are not a resident of Georgia and you follow Georgia laws while you are here."

I don't know myself, just quoting. I'd find the pertinent GA statues, myself. Another question is when does one become a GA resident? TN is immediate upon intention, some states have a time period, though. And you must get a GA DL before gun permit? Must you apply for permit in county of residence? What if you are staying somewhere temporarily etc.

Must say that it seems counter-intuitive to me for GA to deny you to carry for 3 months or so having a valid permit from a state with which they have reciprocity.

- OS

You're exactly right. O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 part (e) says

Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

I have yet to talk to anyone in DeKalb county about this, but I expect them to be less than helpful since they already discriminate against those attempting to get the license.

I appreciate the help guys. Since this is kind of out of scope for Tennessee, I'll see what the folks in Georgia have to say.