Who has a desert 44?

Ramjo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I assume you mean the desert eagle .44? If so the .50 is the most desireable generally, but generation wise I have no idea. I can tell you there's one in a pawn shop in crossville for a very good price if you're looking for one.

I have one, but its the original so there were no other models to pick from back then best I remember. I say the 44 is more desirable due to the wide variety and availibility of 44 mag ammo, uncommon calibers, even if more powerful, are frustrating.

I think the biggest change since my model is they made the parts interchange.

Magnum Research is the closest to what I have. Mine is dead on accurate, tame recoil, comfortable to shoot, and is very reliable. I cannot say anything bad about this gun, at the most its a bit large and heavy if you were thinking to carry it.

But the long barrel one looks very interesting...

Magnum Research

I would have to pick this up to see if it can be held/controlled easily but I like the look and idea a lot from a picture only standpoint.

Thats about as much choice as you get, a couple of colors, and a couple of barrel lengths. I have no comment on spending more money to get a tiger striped gold pimp gun.

Guest hillbilly007

Had one. An old IMI in .44. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Think stove pipe jame with a live round. Not good.

I assume you mean the desert eagle .44? If so the .50 is the most desireable generally, but generation wise I have no idea. I can tell you there's one in a pawn shop in crossville for a very good price if you're looking for one.

Crossville, where is that?

I had a .44 about 12 years ago. Never jammed, but you couldn't hit squat with it. Heavy, clumsy, it's a toy and nothing more.

Always wanted to try a .357 mag to see if the grip was any better, but honestly, a good comfortable 9x19 is twice the weapon...unless of course like I said, you want a toy.

I had a .44 about 12 years ago. Never jammed, but you couldn't hit squat with it. Heavy, clumsy, it's a toy and nothing more.

Always wanted to try a .357 mag to see if the grip was any better, but honestly, a good comfortable 9x19 is twice the weapon...unless of course like I said, you want a toy.

I think its the same frame, and same grip, on all calibers of the 44/50/357 models. Not 100% sure but it seems to be. I must have a good one, it hits what I aim at pretty well for fixed sights.

Had an original IMI Desert Eagle in 44 Mag for probably 14 years. In that time, I probably shot300 rounds thru it. It's a fun range toy, and viable as a hunting gun; but contrary to Hollywood hype and Mall Ninja nabobs, it's really not a practical handgun. Great to look at, fun to shoot the occasionaly mag or two, but you can't carry the thing without a good tanker holster and strong back or a thigh holster and belt with suspenders.

No, I'm not dissing the gun. I enjoyed it for a while, then put it in the safe. Finally traded it 2 years ago for a Springfield Loaded Champion Operator and haven't really regretted it. Sure, I'll see one and remeber how cool it looks and how everyone wants to hold and fire it when I went to the range with it. But it's not really practical for 90%+ of us.

As far as reliablility, I never had a single issue with it. Cambered and ate everthing from stock Rem loads to some really hot custom loads I got from a guy who hunted with his. Probably wouldn't turn down a steal on one, but doubt I'd go activiely searching for one these days.

From my experience, the 357/41/44 models all are the same frame and slide combo, just different barrels. I believe the 50 had a heavier frame and slide.

Now if you want one, go for it. No scarcasm implied here.

Edited by hipower
Guest Keinengel

<==== See avatar pic.

I loved mine. Damned accurate. Ate anything i put through it. The recoil wasn't bad at all unless you were shooting some of the hotter .44 loads. It was quite large and difficult to carry thats for sure. I had a bianchi vertical shoulder holster that was actually made for a S&W M29, but it fit the DE very well and actually concealed it pretty well when I wore my light leather coat. Of course this was during the fall and winter months and the weight of the beast still made it kinda uncomfortable.

Guest coldblackwind
Crossville, where is that?

Off I40 between nashville and knoxville. Had a desert eagle .44 mag I believe, 2 mags. Wanted either $700 or $800, can't recall now, but it was a good price. Crossville pawn and gun, 484-6928 (bought a pistol off them so they gave me a hat, thats the info off it).

It would be a fun gun that's for sure...I have been wanting something chambered in a 44 mag and I have always liked the Desert Eagles, so I figure I could knock out 2 things in one here.

Guest Keinengel

The .44 would be my suggestion. Everyone honks about the .50, but ammo is expensive as all hell and not readily available in most cases. Not to mention the 500S&W is a better round if you want a .50 handgun anyways. A .357 mag would be versatile in the ammo department and slightly cheaper to boot. But there are soooooo many good .357 revolvers out there to choose from (that are closer to half the price) and you can't shoot .38 out of a desert eagle. They won't feed properly and most of the cheaper target loads probably wouldn't cycle the heavy slide all the way.

The .44 would be my suggestion. Everyone honks about the .50, but ammo is expensive as all hell and not readily available in most cases. Not to mention the 500S&W is a better round if you want a .50 handgun anyways. A .357 mag would be versatile in the ammo department and slightly cheaper to boot. But there are soooooo many good .357 revolvers out there to choose from (that are closer to half the price) and you can't shoot .38 out of a desert eagle. They won't feed properly and most of the cheaper target loads probably wouldn't cycle the heavy slide all the way.

Yeah you put it about exactly how I was thinking it in my head lol. :D

Internet rumors say it you can shoot the 38 or 44sp but it won't cycle the action. Changing the recoil springs may work but the gun also uses a gas system so that may have to be tuned as well. It also fouls the chamber so swapping back to longer ammo without a cleaning is a problem, the longer brass sticks in the gunk from the shorter ones. The most common theme here seems to be "you can, but don't".

IMHO the whole cheap ammo thing is a joke. Its like buying a 1/4 million dollar sports car and saying gas is expensive. If you can afford one of these, you can afford to feed it the proper ammo.

Edited by Jonnin
IMHO the whole cheap ammo thing is a joke. Its like buying a 1/4 million dollar sports car and saying gas is expensive. If you can afford one of these, you can afford to feed it the proper ammo.

Right.

Guest Keinengel

Jonnin said it there. I did try using some .44 SPL but it would tilt in the magazine as I loaded it. I never did try firing it to see if they would cycle the slight however.

Off I40 between nashville and knoxville. Had a desert eagle .44 mag I believe, 2 mags. Wanted either $700 or $800, can't recall now, but it was a good price. Crossville pawn and gun, 484-6928 (bought a pistol off them so they gave me a hat, thats the info off it).

wow, that is a GREAT price!!

Guest Lester Weevils

I have idly entertained the notion of a DE in .357 as a toy. A lot of my pistols are range toys, so that isn't a reason not to get one, assuming it would be fun enough to justify the price.

I'd want the .357 variant just because I already reload .357 and would not be eager to add .44 Mag to the list of calibers to reload.

Main problems for me is the high price of the pistol, and a lot of internet user reports that the .357 model doesn't always feed reliably.

On the other hand, the latest models you can apparently get one frame and all three caliber slides, assuming you want to spend that much money.

On the other hand, the latest models you can apparently get one frame and all three caliber slides, assuming you want to spend that much money.

Now that is a novel idea. Btw Lester, is that your loyal dog? He looks quite happy :screwy: