In the Seam Holster for XD-9

Guest King703

Guest King703

Does anyone know of a good in the seam holster for a Springfield XD-9? I understand this gun might be a bit large to conceal in such a way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

King

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming "in the seam" is what's more generally referred to as IWB (In The Waisband).

If you want something in custom leather, my avatar is a TT Gunleather (TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters).

Take months to get -- but he sells the Occidental Stronghold line which he designs also, and can be had right away. The owner of this forum has several and swears by them, and if Tim Thurner designed them, that's enough for me.

That's an XD9 subbie in there, same dimensions as your XD9 cept shorter barrel and grip. The barrel doesn't matter much, but long grips are the tough part to conceal.

Most everyone else will name a hybrid Kydex/leather, either the Crossbreed or MTAC. I only prefer Kydex in a pocket holster myself.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest grimel

Oh, the number is legion. About any maker worth considering has a version of the Milt Sparks Summer Special. That is leather and kydex makers.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but, it is the truth. Get ready to try several IWB before you find "the one" and NOBODY can tell you which IWB will be "the one" for YOU. Try to find friends with holsters you can test. The most important part is the belt. A Wal-Mart belt will make you miserable with anything in a useful size.

As for your XD9. I know at least 3 people on this forum and 3 others that carry 4" XD9's or bigger.

Guest King703

Excellent, thank you for the helpful information. Is there a local leather shop or gunsmith you would recommend? I currently do most of my business with Guns for America.

Thanks again,

King

Holsters come and keep on coming until you find the right one for you! ;)

Yeah. Might as well go ahead and set an empty box aside for the holster collection. You might get lucky and hit upon the "right" one for you. Then again, you might be like the rest of us.

I can recommend a Crossbreed Supertuck Delux, since that's what I have. But it may not be right for you. Like someone else said, see if you can try some (meaning: borrow them to wear for a week or two) before you buy.

Good hunting.

Guest Kamikaze

I have that setup. If I look straight on in the mirror I turn it until you can't see the gun anymore. It vanishes in shorts an a tshirt. 4adf0716-5739-0c27.jpg

Guest grimel
as far as the crossbreed and sub xd goes, I'm guessing a 4-5 o'clock position is most likely the best for not printing. Can on of ya'll that has one confirm?

The best for not printing is 12-1:30, then 2-3, and then everything else.

The best for not printing is 12-1:30, then 2-3, and then everything else.

3:00 (or 9:00 for southpaws) is on widest point of the hip, worst possible place for concealment IMNSHO. Needs to be either in front or behind that wide projection of hip.

- OS

Guest grimel
3:00 (or 9:00 for southpaws) is on widest point of the hip, worst possible place for concealment IMNSHO. Needs to be either in front or behind that wide projection of hip.- OS

You are entitled to your opinion. Now, stick a FBI canted IWB at 3 and bend over at the waist. Compare that to doing the same thing at 4 or 5. One will print the grip the other won't. At 3, your shoulders (and arm) will be outside the gun and your shirt should hang over the gun with ease.

Set up a video camera (forget the mirror) and take a side view while doing normal activity, 4/5 conceals well from the front, not so much from the side and back. The only reason the cops aren't called frequently on folks carrying at 4/5 is 99.97% of the population is oblivious to their surroundings.

Guest King703

I picked up a Don Hume IWB today. It is my first leather holster and I am really liking the quality. I will still shop around and see what I can find.

King

You are entitled to your opinion. Now, stick a FBI canted IWB at 3 and bend over at the waist. Compare that to doing the same thing at 4 or 5. One will print the grip the other won't. At 3, your shoulders (and arm) will be outside the gun and your shirt should hang over the gun with ease.

Set up a video camera (forget the mirror) and take a side view while doing normal activity, 4/5 conceals well from the front, not so much from the side and back. The only reason the cops aren't called frequently on folks carrying at 4/5 is 99.97% of the population is oblivious to their surroundings.

I get the point on the bending, and agree about the gun butt sticking out toward back under shirt while doing that, but save that one movement, anything on the point of my hip (IWB or OWB) sticks out far enough to look like a hip deformation. Or a gun, if you're hip to noticing.

I'm still quite careful about printing and find for my still too rotund middle, about 4-4:30 is overall way the best -- though I never went so far as to video, certainly have done extensive mirror tests. :popcorn: Then again, I've only IWB'd three guns, all with short butts. The difference between my XD subbie and XD service is dramatic, I don't even use a Pearce pinkie extension on the subbie, as I object to even that extra length to the butt.

I also carry the rig low in the waistband, and have only used holsters with clips off the main body of the already widest part of the rig. Have found that anything higher prints worse too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest grimel
I get the point on the bending, and agree about the gun butt sticking out toward back under shirt while doing that, but save that one movement, anything on the point of my hip (IWB or OWB) sticks out far enough to look like a hip deformation. Or a gun, if you're hip to noticing.

Pull yer pants up! :D

I'm still quite careful about printing and find for my still too rotund middle, about 4-4:30 is overall way the best -- though I never went so far as to video, certainly have done extensive mirror tests. :hat: Then again, I've only IWB'd three guns, all with short butts. The difference between my XD subbie and XD service is dramatic, I don't even use a Pearce pinkie extension on the subbie, as I object to even that extra length to the butt.

Try the video. Wear a white (at least a pale green/blue) shirt.

I also carry the rig low in the waistband, and have only used holsters with clips off the main body of the already widest part of the rig. Have found that anything higher prints worse too.

- OS

Try a good SS clone with leather loops If a higher ride is printing worse either your pants are below your belly or the holster is crap & falling away from the body.

I'm sure we've met at one of the East Tn shoots, maybe Phantom's shop. I've usually got a XD/M&P/1911 on me. Usually AIWB, but, occasionally at 3:30.

Again, you could probably open carry your pistol and nobody would notice for a week.

....Again, you could probably open carry your pistol and nobody would notice for a week.

Well, that part has proven true over and over. Although the only times I've really open carried was with a big honkin Ruger Blackhawk in cowboy holster -- and it does get noticed. :D

And no, pretty sure we've never actually met, btw.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot