LexisNexis (michie.com) Has Changed

New URL, new interface:

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Tennessee Code Research Tool

First impression, good: more info about dating and other info - bad: worse, confusing frame interface, loses your place and jumps too far back, doesn't open links in right frame while keeping left one. Not intuitive at all to me, will have to see.

- OS

EDIT: Hmm, http://michie.com/tennessee/ with the original format now still working again, but wasn't when I posted above.

EDIT EDIT :confused:: Never mind. Original interface comes up, but only allows you to link to the new one.

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall I like it...still getting used to it.

I like that you can select/highlight text and it will copy it and cite it with a link for you.

Hmmm...I missing where it has more information about dates ets... I don't see it all on the codes I've opened.

Overall I like it...still getting used to it.

I like that you can select/highlight text and it will copy it and cite it with a link for you.

Hmmm...I missing where it has more information about dates ets... I don't see it all on the codes I've opened.

Yeah, I don't either, thought it was sorta implied in the initial wording though:

"Our new public access platform contains all of the content previously available, and offers improved presentation and research functionality that more closely resembles our flagship Lexis.com product."

My prob is navigation: links on left don't open in a frame on right, simply replaces page, and there is no right click "open in new tab/page" either. Then when you go back, it skips back a whole level so you have to reopen entire title.

EDIT: It behaves differently in IE and Firefox. In IE it goes back just the one step, goes back two in Firefox.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 1 month later...
Can anyone find a way to create a link to an individual statute, without it reverting to the paid login screen?

- OS

Well not the easiest way to do it, but can right click on the page (below the red line) then choose "Properties" under Address it will give you a long link directly to that page. Then if you want you can use bitly.com or another url shortening page to make it a bit shorter.

Let's see if it worked....T.C.A. 39-17-1351

Let's see if it worked....T.C.A. 39-17-1351

See?

Just goes to login page for the paid subscription service.

I can find no way to do a direct link to any single statute.

If you see correct link on your puter, it's pulling it up from cache or something. I ran into this once when experimenting, as I could see link but nobody else could. Then after awhile I couldn't see it either.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
See?

Just goes to login page for the paid subscription service.

I can find no way to do a direct link to any single statute.

If you see correct link on your puter, it's pulling it up from cache.

- OS

Hmmm, it's not for me. For me it's going directly to the code. Now I am confused.

Hmmm, it's not for me. For me it's going directly to the code. Now I am confused.

Here is what I get from your link with FireFox or IE:

lexis.gif

This came up in a previous thread, I could see my own link, but others couldn't. Has to do with whether you've accepted the free access "I accept" button on home page of Lexis. Seems to be a timed cookie or something. Once I went to home page of Lexis in Firefox and accepted, I can now see your link correctly in FireFox. However, I can't see it in Internet Explorer until I go to home page and accept again.

If you have both browsers, you can verify this.

Trouble is, it makes it a no go for most users, since there's no Accept Terms button straight from link or anything.

EDIT: Additional info -- when I close both browsers and reopen, link still displays correctly in FireFox, but get the login screen in IE.

Something about how the two browsers treat the cookie differently or something. Also, as I mentioned before, going "back" in Firefox within the site jumps TWO steps, IE goes back correctly just once.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I think I understand.

I guess with the "I accept" screen.....there is no way to link directly to a statute because before a person views it, they want them to accept the terms.

Oh well, don't guess it hurts someone to go through the main page if they really want to look it up themselves. Would be nice if they could just get the "I accept" page and then go directly to a linked statute....

• 2 weeks later...
I think I understand.

I guess with the "I accept" screen.....there is no way to link directly to a statute because before a person views it, they want them to accept the terms.

Oh well, don't guess it hurts someone to go through the main page if they really want to look it up themselves. Would be nice if they could just get the "I accept" page and then go directly to a linked statute....

I believe it could be coded that way, but I imagine their logic is why make it easier for people to avoid paying for the service. A possible workaround would be for someone to click the Accept button, then go back to the link and try again?