Buying a Firearm- Address Update?

Guest NeuralFizz

Guest NeuralFizz

Not sure the exact forum for this:

I moved recently and all that's required by the TN state is that you notify them of moving, but you aren't required to get a new license with your new address. I've done that, but will that cause a problem when I go to buy a gun? When you go through the TICS process does your license need to match what's in the database or what?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get it renewed. It will be a constant source of aggravation to you otherwise: any place that needs to see your ID and knows the address is not a match will hassle you about it. I don't know the answer to your original question but you really should just get it updated to prevent any future problems from a variety of sources.

The selling FFL will need a government document showing your current address. Like Fallguy said, hopefully you printed off a copy of the your address change from the TN website, that will suffice. Also, vehicle and voter registrations will also work to show your current address. Personally, I would just get a duplicate DL issued: it's cheap and will show your updated address.

When you go through the TICS process does your license need to match what's in the database or what?

The TICS check does not verify the address information. The requirement to have something with your current address comes from the ATF/Feds, so that info on the 4473 is verified.

Case in point: A friend of mine who works a gun store had two customers, both buying a Glock 19 at the same time. As he was entering the info into TICS, he accidentally entered one guy in with his correct name, but with the other guy's information (address, SSN, DOB, DL#). TICS approved the transfer. Once he saw what happened, he notified TICS and re-ran the guy with the correct info. The TICS personnel told him that the system assumes that the info entered is correct and performs the checks based on that.

Did you print the page at the end that says you have changed your address? (assuming you changed it online)

I simply carry that with me and think that would be proof enough of what you actual address is.

This is what I did. Bought a gun the next day. No problem whatsoever.

Guest NeuralFizz

Cool, thanks for the info. The reason why I don't want to get a new license is that will require me to go to the DMV (can't do it online, they need a digital signature).

If you currently own a driver's license or have ever been to the Murfreesboro DMV you know that it is a hive of scum and villainy. I believe the inscription above the door reads, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"