All the yap over the SERPA holster got me thinking. I keep a regular check on my stuff. At least every other day I look over my holster and belt. I carry a SP101 daily and right now it rides in a Galco. Never really had a problem with Galco leather but never really been pleased either. I got it for like 25% off when I bought my gun so I went with it. I sweat so much though it is beginning to turn black and I will trash it not long from now....long before it can fail. I see Fobus makes an all plastic holster for the SP101. Any takes on it? Are there any other all plastic holsters I should check out? I prefer some form of retention, but if it's tight, I can manage.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like Fobus holsters. I prefer Blade Tech. However, I think Fobus made a great paddle holster for the Five Seven. It is what I use whenever I carry my Five Seven.

MacGuyver...Close isn't always best for me, I carry half concealed at work, I could care less if anyone knows, but I pull my shirt over it anyway. BUT, I sweat like a whore in church. Hence the stainless and rubber SP101.

I'll look into the Kydex too thanks Mike.

Guest Bronker

I've carried a Glock 19 in a $20 Fobus paddle holster nearly every day for nearly two years. Zero problems. Sure it's OWB, but I carry with untucked shirts every time.

I figure I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Plus, I still haven't decided what type of holster would be good enough to replace it yet ;)

Until then, I'll keep rockin' the discount.

Fobus is the Hi Point of holsters in terms of quality and gun board cred.

Sure, there are better alternatives but they work.

None of that matters much, though, as you'll be laughed off the face if the board for owning one ;)

• Admin Team

Bronker and Caster, you should both let me know next time your in the Nippers Corner area and I'll let you try the Raven Concealment holster. I've got a whole box full of different varieties of leather, kydex, plastic and cloth. I use most of them for one thing or another, but when it comes time to either wear it all day comfortably and/or bet my life on it, I go for the Raven Concealment.

Guest Bronker
Okay, so what's the best money can buy for an SP101??? :)

A paper sack, if you ask the 'experts.':D

Seriously, I have fondled the Raven, and have owned MTAC's and Crossbreed's. I no longer own them as they just didn't work.

I'm looking at the Blade Tech offerings right now as IWB option.

Guest Broomhead
Fobus is the Hi Point of holsters in terms of quality and gun board cred.

Sure, there are better alternatives but they work.

None of that matters much, though, as you'll be laughed off the face if the board for owning one :)

Laugh all you want, I have a Fobus for my HiPoint C9, worked pretty good for carrying under an un-tucked shirt back when my C9 was all I had to carry. I liked that Fobus so much that I didn't waste any time picking one up for my Kel-Tec P-11. I also had one for my Charter Arms .357 Mag Pug that was made for the SP101, it wasn't a paddle style like most Fobuses (Fobi?). I liked that one a lot as well. Go to an Academy, if you have one, they have a selection of Fobi that you can open and handle inspect them.

Like Strickj alluded to, Fobi are utility holsters that are great for the money. The draw action takes a bit to get used to though, you can not do a slow draw at all. It has to be a quick snap up and slightly forward. That have passive retention where there is a pinched area that sits just inside of the trigger guard. It's not pinched enough to come into contact with the trigger itself, though, so no worries there.

I get the idea. I am not sure I would let someone ripping it off as in the video. I would worry more about someone grabbing the gun out of the holster from behind. But your point is made.

I disagree with this video's lumping Kydex holsters into the mix, particularly since Fobus are plastic and not Kydex, but you get the idea. Fobus rivet mounting is not secure.

I would say the same thing for the poster's stance on owb and paddle holsters.

You are probably correct that the rivot mounts are probably not as secure as other holsters. However, I think they are decent for a cheap (~ $20) holster. I use one for only one gun I own. Definitely better than a paperbag. ;)

I think that video demonstrates why people shouldn't go around open-carrying a cheap owb rivot-mounted paddle holster while lost in their own little world.

Guest Bronker

Definitely better than a paperbag. :cool:

I think that video demonstrates why people shouldn't go around open-carrying a cheap owb rivot-mounted paddle holster while lost in their own little world.

Werd ;)

Guest Broomhead
I would worry more about someone grabbing the gun out of the holster from behind.

Not happening with a Fobus. You have draw the gun with a quick snap upward and slightly forward. Otherwise, the gun is staying in its place. The holster isn't going to release from your pants easily either. The rivets are strong enough to withstand any human force, I hooked mine on the fence gate once by accident, the holster held on to me and the gate pulling me back and nearly knocked me on my butt. That was when I still weighed +300lbs.

• Administrator

I can't believe that in this day and age with so many better alternatives for not much more money, anyone seriously defends the Fobus line of holsters as being a worthwhile option. But I also can't believe that Uncle Mike's is still in the holster business either, albeit for different reasons.

I can't believe that in this day and age with so many better alternatives for not much more money, anyone seriously defends the Fobus line of holsters as being a worthwhile option. But I also can't believe that Uncle Mike's is still in the holster business either, albeit for different reasons.

Name a better platform for the SP101 [OWB] and I will look into it. Much like the SERPA thing, I ain't opposed to changing my mind. Fact, I'm all for it if shown a better way. I will have to agree 110% on Uncle Mikes too, they aren't fit to carry a paper cap pistol in.

• Administrator
Name a better platform for the SP101 [OWB] and I will look into it. Much like the SERPA thing, I ain't opposed to changing my mind. Fact, I'm all for it if shown a better way. I will have to agree 110% on Uncle Mikes too, they aren't fit to carry a paper cap pistol in.

Raven Concealment Systems

Outside Waistband Holsters - products new home - Belt Holster

Ask and ye shall receive. :rofl:

I have used and seriously abused Fobus holsters since I started carrying. I can tell you, without any doubt, that video does not represent their holsters. I have had guns get caught in the door jam of my truck, seats, wheel of chair, and even got one caught in the cup holder of a movie theater seat once. The muzzle actually found it's way into the cup holder when I plopped down.

You're looking at 200 lbs of sexy mass being completely suspended in the air by nothing more then a Fobus holster.

Tell me how my Fobus holsters can withstand 200 lbs of force without breaking but the one in the video gets snapped off like a twig?