Expandable Baton (ASP) Laws?

Expandable Baton ASP questions:

I think you can carry one in TN if you have a carry permit right?

Can you own one in your home and not carry it?

Please don't post if your going on what you think or what a buddy told you. Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must get certified to carry an ASP. I got certified and carry one daily in my vehicle since my company chooses to violate my second amendment rights and not allow a firearm in the parking lot. The ASP is considered an impact weapon and the laws are the same as carrying a baseball bat or tire iron. There is no law against ownership, just against carrying in your vehicle or on your person. The class was $65 or so and is the same class a security guard must go through to carry one on the job. 4 hours if memory serves me correctly.

Your HCP does not cover any other weapon besides a handgun.

39-17-1308(a)(9) says if you have a certificate showing you have had training in the use of the club or baton for self-defense and if that certificate is issued by a person certified and authorized to give training in the use of the club or baton....then that is a defense to a charge under 39-17-1307

39-17-1308(a)(3)(A) says posession in your place of residence is also a defense.

From www.michie.com/tennessee

Guest AUSTIN.BUTERA
Expandable Baton ASP questions:

I think you can carry one in TN if you have a carry permit right?

Can you own one in your home and not carry it?

Please don't post if your going on what you think or what a buddy told you. Thanks!

Anyone know of any upcoming ASP certification courses near the middle TN area? Would like to get certified.

Thanks,

-AB

Guest ArmaDeFuego
Your HCP does not cover any other weapon besides a handgun.

Anyone else wish that Tennessee's HCP was more like Kentucky's CCDW license?

Why in Tennessee can I carry a gun but cant carry a tiny switchblade knife? Or a freakin' stick?

/boggle

Anyone know of any upcoming ASP certification courses near the middle TN area? Would like to get certified. Thanks, -AB
Check with The Academy of Self Protection in Joelton. It's a gun shop that offers classes too. I took my class there and was very satisfied with the instructors and content. When I called for a class they did not have one on the schedule. They scheduled it within a week.
So, I have to get certified for that lead pipe I keep between the seats of the truck, yea ok ...

Friend got pulled over in college, got charged with having tire iron in same location. It could happen if LEO has an axe to grind. Truckers been charged with similar, even though they claim "tire thumpers". Why most carry the one that's designated as a thumper instead of homemade one or pipe.

Speaking of which, a hatchet/axe doesn't seem to fit description of knife or club -- maybe everyone should just carry one of those?

Anyway, having a "club" in car is a big diff from walking around with one, whether it's a baseball bat, tire thumper, or extensible baton, as far as risk of getting popped.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I don't wish to carry one but I have wondered.

If I'm a POST Certified police officer not employed but I have had the training am I covered? I've had two classes of instruction before.

In my opinion you would be a lot better off with a can of OC.

If I'm a POST Certified police officer not employed but I have had the training am I covered? I've had two classes of instruction before....

Dunno. Got a hard copy cert you could carry?

Exemption to carrying impact stuff reads:

"(8) By a person possessing a club or baton who holds a valid state security guard/officer registration card as a private security guard/officer, issued by the commissioner, and who also has certification that the officer has had training in the use of club or baton that is valid and issued by a person certified to give training in the use of clubs or batons;

(9) By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws;"

- OS

So, I have to get certified for that lead pipe I keep between the seats of the truck, yea ok ...

If you carry it to use as a weapon....yeah... otherwise as OS said you could be charged. 39-17-1307 makes it illegal to carry a club with the intend to go armed. So if a LEO believes that is you intent with it rather than to fix your plubming...well.....

Not saying it will happen.....just that it is going to be up to the LEO....more than likely he'd just take it from you and not charge you.

If I'm a POST Certified police officer not employed but I have had the training am I covered? I've had two classes of instruction before.

In my opinion you would be a lot better off with a can of OC.

When I worked at the Sheriff's Dept (not a road deputy) around 20 years ago...took an ASP class. Still have my certificate, have always hoped that would suffice...but can't say for 100% sure.

When I worked at the Sheriff's Dept (not a road deputy) around 20 years ago...took an ASP class. Still have my certificate, have always hoped that would suffice...but can't say for 100% sure.
It will suffice if you have a certificate on you. The class I went to gave a wallet size card to carry. There is no expiration and no need to get recertified as long as it was the TN class.
It will suffice if you have a certificate on you. The class I went to gave a wallet size card to carry. There is no expiration and no need to get recertified as long as it was the TN class.

Not sure why I said hoped actually..lol I don't have an ASP.

Also not sure it has to be a TN class, the law just says by a person certified to teach the class.

My plan though if I ever deiced to is to scan the certificate and either keep a copy with me and/or shrink it to wallet size.

When this came up once before I asked my State Rep and he checked with some legal people in the capital, there thoughts were that a certificate for an ASP didn't carry the same protection that having a HCP did for a handgun (although it is listed in the same law :)) Meaning even if you have the certificate on you, you could still be charged and have to prove (defend) yourself in court that certificate is valid etc...

I wonder if this applies to people walking down the street with those "beat sticks" like old people use, you see a lot of those people down here walking around the lake with sticks/clubs or whatevver.

Old farts get away with more than do whippersnappers. :):no1:

- OS

Old farts get away with more than do whippersnappers. :):no1:

- OS

lol I'm sure this is true, it is just hard for me to accept the fact that I could be brought to court for having a blunt object in my possession. Next thing you know they're arresting me for having a 2x4 under 8 ft in my truck bed because it is a potential weapon.

Also on a different note, the guys that are trying to sell you collapsible batons or asps or whatever you would like to call them will tell you there is nothing against you carrying one on your person. Had guys tell me there is nothing against them on multiple occasions.

• 3 weeks later...
If I am certified in Tennessee, is there reciprocity for other states like there is for HCP?

Depends of the laws of the other state.

In some states they issue Deadly Weapons permits which allows the carry of other weapons besides a handgun, but in TN that permit would only be good for a handgun because of TN law. In other states there may not even be a law against the carry of a club or baton...