Colt 1911-22

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but I'm wanting a 1911-22 of some kind...I've looked at Sig, GSG, Chiappa so far...can't decide which one I want. I think they all come with a 10 round mag but the Colt I just looked at online says it comes with a 12 rounder...

Edited by barewoolf

FWIW barewoolf, I've looked at the three you mentioned, and my preference would be the GSG, followed by the sig. Just liked the fit, and feel of the GSG better. Considered asking Bill to bring me one in, but I keep finding other things ahead of it.

I already had the GSG before the Sig's came out. I started to replace my GSG with the Sig unitil I compared the guns they are one in the same with the exception of the name. Check both out in a side by side comparision you will see what I mean.

After looking again at the Colt 1911-22, this time on M1911.org, I realized that it apppears to be foreign made and imported by Umarex...also, Red Eagle, Hipower and Il Duce, I read that the Sig IS actually made by GSG, and just is branded by Sig...so I'm leaning towards the GSG...

Here is what I understand about the 1911 .22 conversion game:

1. Kimber makes their own after they used to use a rebranded Ceiner some years ago.

2. Wilson Combat uses a rebranded Marvel Precision Unit 2, which should not be confused with Nighthawks new conversion developed by Bob Marvel, who no longer works for Marvel Precision.

Allegedly the new Nighthawk conversion should be in the same accuracy league as the Marvel Precision Unit 1, which has long been considered the leader in 1911 .22 conversion accuracy.

Everytime I think about a 1911 .22 I get the I wants, then I think: can they be any more accurate or reliable than the 7 Ruger or S&W .22 pistols I already have?

Here is what I understand about the 1911 .22 conversion game:

1. Kimber makes their own after they used to use a rebranded Ceiner some years ago.

2. Wilson Combat uses a rebranded Marvel Precision Unit 2, which should not be confused with Nighthawks new conversion developed by Bob Marvel, who no longer works for Marvel Precision.

Allegedly the new Nighthawk conversion should be in the same accuracy league as the Marvel Precision Unit 1, which has long been considered the leader in 1911 .22 conversion accuracy.

Everytime I think about a 1911 .22 I get the I wants, then I think: can they be any more accurate or reliable than the 7 Ruger or S&W .22 pistols I already have?

Probably not, but a while ago I read something that seems to me to be quite logical. It was that if one doesn't practice enough with one's EDC firearm, due primarily to ammo costs, then there is still much to be gained by practicing with a similarly operated and sized .22. Theory is that no, it's NOT the same as practicing with one's EDC firearm, but many of the same benefits can be realized, and at a much reduce cost. Theory went on to give examples like if you carry a 1911, perhaps you could practice with 1 1911 .22 more often than you could with a .45, likewise for revolvers...seems to make some sense to me. If I get the 1911-22, then I plan on shooting it maybe weekly, and of course still shoot the 1911 as well, just not as much as weekly.

I sort of want one for the feel (weight and frame and so on) so that both my 22 and 45 would feel/shoot the same. My mark II 22-45 isnt very much like a 45, to be honest. I was looking forward to the browning version of the 1911-22 (rumor was to replace the buckmark with this?) but have not really had the $$ to buy one so I have not researched it yet. I think eventually I will get one but not this year.