Sig guys I need your input

Links2k

I am ready to put a Sig P229 back in my safe. I am considering the SCT and the E2. What are your opinions on these pistols and would you recommend another P229 other than these if you were looking to purchase one?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest razorblade

SCT is a good choice. I would stay away from the E2 as the mags are different, IIRC. While I love my P229 and carry it almost everyday, I just purchased a P226 TACOPS which I plan to keep FOREVER. Might want to check out that one.

Thanks guys. I will research those pistols also. I am staying away from the .40 because I carry 9mm about 75% of the time and .45 in the winter. I am not looking to add another platform at the moment.

I just switched from a sao in .40 s&w to plain vanilla p226 DAK 9mm. I really like the trigger pull being the same all the time. I also like the double strike capability but try not to put a lot of faith in that feature. The only thing I want to change on my 26 is a threaded bbl cause it looks cool and maybe a couple of the 19-20 mags they have for that hi cap version, if they will fit. I haven't tried the e2, the short trigger is sexy.

Edited by durtyzulu

Just make sure whatever model you get has the SRT trigger....I would recommend the Tacops over the SCT just for that reason(they both have hicap 20rd mags in 9mm, but the Tacops has the beavertail and SRT trigger while the SCT doesnt). Also the 220 Dark Elite with SRT in 45 is a tac-driver too.

Guest nysos

Definitely love the elite series, would ditch the adjustable night sights. SRT = good, short trigger can be good depending on how big your hands are. I find the short trigger makes double action easier for me, but my finger placement is odd on single action. I sort of prefer the larger trigger for shooting, but I think the short trigger looks better. I would stay away from the e2 unless you have really small hands, for the reason being - that is what the e2 was designed for. If you are comfortable and shoot your current 229 well, go with a normal 229 of your flavor of choice.

I have spent some time on the Sig forum and Arfcom the last couple of days. I see that the pistols that I want (P226 TACOPS and p229 SCT) have magazine issues. I don't care to spend a grand on a pistol and have to immediately buy new mags. I have to admit that I have done this for Les Baer and Springfield 1911s ( I think Wilson 47Ds are the best), but I don't want to do this for a Sig.

The guys that have those guns love them, but the magazine issues concern me. What have you all heard concerning the magazines?

also if you try to put a 226 mag in a 229 that's where the problem is small hair of a diff and with unmarked after market mags you do not know what ya got believe me you want have any prob with the factory mags I haven't at all

Guest nysos
that's with aftermarket junk mags not with the factory not 1 problem with mine smooth as silk also that was on the old models a long time ago

The factory mags with the SCT's ARE the problem, not the aftermarket - as these come with high cap mags. If I recall sig switched companies to make their mags, I am not sure who makes them now, but they used to use mecgar. If it is a new production SCT that has not been sitting around in a places inventory, it will have the cheap mags - if it is older you might have a chance at getting the good mags.

Keep in mind, there is nothing really special about the SCT besides coming with high 3 high cap mags, vs normal 2 - and that is pointless if they are cheap mags you will have to replace or send back to sig 3x over to get ones that work. Buy a different model, and buy a couple high cap mags down the road and you still have an "sct".

My understanding is that they are using Checkmate mags for the TacOps now. As stated before, everyone has nothing but good things to say about this pistol except the magazines suck. I may pass and start a fund for a Nighthawk Custom or Wilson Combat 1911.

I here ya I've got a kimber and a Wilson ,,, wilsons the best I think if ya got a lot of money to spend on it . I've got about 2500 rounds on my sig p229 not one mag prob or jam or hikup at all all factory mags I'm keeping the sig it's a nail driver. been thinking about a Springfield 40s&w emp have a buddy that has one and it's a nail driver also but a lot less money may add that to my group some thing to ck into jest saying it's what you like any way that matters there are a lot of good guns out there . oh and by the way I have 5 buddy's with the same sigs p229r elites with the beaver tails and Thay said Thay have never never had not one not one problem with there's at all.but there can be a bad batch of guns made by anybody Thay all have there kinks I know that first hand with my kimber had to get some Wilson mags no problems now on that part but I would not trade the kimber for nothing in the world I would trust my life with all my guns good luck