Going on a cruise...any ideas about protection?

Guest readyornot

Guest readyornot

I usually carry 24/7. However, I'm going on a cruise with my wife in April and firearms are a big no-no. Does anyone have any suggestions for personal protection while on this trip? My biggest concern is getting off the ship in strange countries without a way of protecting my wife and myself.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I'd be very wary of carrying any sort of weapon in a foreign country. Become very familiar with the local laws at your possible port calls.

Roll the dice and enjoy the vacation. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy life.

You never said where you were going.

A lot of potential crime can just be averted by being aware of your surroundings. Stick to the touristy areas where cruise lines dump you off at and pick pockets and purse thieves are probably your biggest worry.

Guest canynracer

can you carry on a cruise to Alaska??? if so, I think I should go there..LOL

annnyway,

I would say you should carry a metal pen at a minimum...

dunno, that is a hard question...but I found that my wifes perfume burns like HELL when sprayed in ones eyes....so does that Axe body spray stuff...and they make a travel size

Guest Medic908

You can expect the same type of scrutiny/screening for a cruise that you would encounter at an airport (i.e. everything is considered dangerous or a weapon).

You'd be surprised the amount of damage that can be done with a simple, metal ball point pen (think most vulnerable parts of the body)...:shrug:

Try thinking outside the box - you might be surprised what you come up with. Maintain your situational awareness, and keep your head on a swivel. Most ports of call are relatively safe - don't stray off the beaten path.

Try the link below.

http://www.cruisebruise.com/cruise_ship_safety_tips.html

All in all, the cruises I've been on have been wonderful - just think smart and enjoy yourself!

A big wad of keys on a small wooden dowel (also known as a kubotan if you want to buy one). Put a rabbits foot on it so they let you through the metal detector.

(also deflects attention away from the two barrel polymer gun you made in your basement):shrug:

Guest canynracer

blind them with rank smelling perfume, stab em witha metal ball point, then sign your name across their chest as you take THIER wallet and gun :shrug:

Guest ETS_Inc

There's quite a bit of good advice in here. Remember, you're on vacation. it's the time to relax. Now, you don't want to relax to the point where you're oblivious to your suroundings, but you are supposed to relax a bit.

Unless you're a teenage girl going to Aruba and planning to party with a few Dutch teens on the beach, you probably don't have to worry much about being killed or kidnapped. The places that cruise ships stop know that the tourists are their bread and butter. The cops there are usually very proactive about keeping it safe.

About your biggest concern is going to be pickpockets while you're out and about in port. This is one of the few times when it's considered ok for a man to wear a fanny pack. But, be smart about it. Keep the pack to your front, and if possible run the strap through some belt loops, so it's a lot harder to take from you. If you've got your nice digital camera with you, use the strap that probably came in the box. Run your hand through the loop, and if there's a drawstring, pull it tight, so that it's harder to snag quickly. Keep an eye on any souveniers you buy. Try to combine bags, so that you have less things to carry. Also, if you put the more expensive things in the bottom of the bag, and chintzy stuff on top, it makes it harder for someone to reach in and grab the good stuff.

Don't go out and get drunk on the town. If you do so, make sure your wife is sober, and knows that she's supposed to keep her eyes open. If you have to get drunk, do it on the ship.

Try to stick to the places where the rest of the tourists go. You're more likely to run into serious problems when you're away from the crowd. But, be a little more alert when walking through a tight crowd. That's where your pickpockets will strike.

Besides pickpockets, the ones most likely to steal your money are the over-priced vendors right at the docks. Don't buy anything as soon as you get off the ship. Walk around a little, and do some shopping. You'll see that all of the shops are selling the exact smae t-shirts, hats, and souveniers. Don't be afraid to haggle with the shop owners. Remind them that the guy two doors down as the same thing, and if they don't want to do business, walk away. Eventually, you'll likely find someone willing to deal. If you can't just go to the last shop in town and just buy what you want. (I'm willing to bet you can find what you want cheaper than the first prices you see , though.)

Oh, and if you're going to a locale that doesn't have an embargo against trade goods from Cuba, we need to discuss the finer points of the Cuban tobacco industry, as well as the finer points of purchasing cigars in foreign places.

Guest 270win

Check into a good surefire E2D flashlight. It has a good striking point and you shouldn't get in trouble with carrying it on a ship. If in doubt with that, I'd get a cheaper small mini maglite or similar light made by smith and wesson. Both add a little weight to your hand and can be used for hitting if need be. The nice thing about the mini maglites and metal lights from S&W, you can bring two or three in case one is taken and you haven't lost much. Surefires are more expensive to replace.

Cruise security is not nearly as stringent as airport security. Yes, you will have to pass through a metal detector. Yes, your bags are X-rayed. This happens every time you board the ship, at every port of call. However, I have never seen anyone subjected to a pat-down or asked to remove their shoes or anything else. Security screeners are mostly focused on preventing passengers from bringing their own booze onto the ship, and weapons concerns are secondary.

A small polymer knife (also available from Cold Steel, priced to be disposable), kept on your person, would be extremely unlikely to be detected. Just keep in mind that the Cold Steel "Nightshade" line does not come with sheaths, and they will rip up your pockets (and flesh) if you don't improvise one.

Keys on a kubaton would be impractical, as there is no need to carry keys at all on your cruise. Cabin access is controlled by a magnetic card, like most hotels. This magnetic card will likely also function as your wallet, as it will probably be the only way to pay for anything being sold by the cruise line--drinks, gambling, on-board stores, show tickets or anything else not included in the price of your fare. If you carry your keys around, you only risk being locked out of your car and house when you return.

Nearly all shore excursions will end by 5:00, ship time, so you're not going to be wandering the darkened streets of some foreign town, unless you miss the boat. If you think this is likely, a flashlight would be a good idea, as well as a credit card, an international phone card, and a wad of cash. Try to get transport to the nearest town with an airport before sundown.

Overall, the port areas are generally free of crime, other than pickpockets or vendors hawking fraudulent merchandise. Venture out, and odds are, if you're attacked, you'll face multiple hostiles who will most certainly be better armed. Your best defense, as always, is going to be situational awareness and common sense.

can you carry on a cruise to Alaska??? if so, I think I should go there..LOL

annnyway,

I would say you should carry a metal pen at a minimum...

dunno, that is a hard question...but I found that my wifes perfume burns like HELL when sprayed in ones eyes....so does that Axe body spray stuff...and they make a travel size

Uhh,Canny,what are doing to her to get sprayed in the eyes with perfume?and better yet what are you doing to get sprayed in eyes by a man with Axe body spray :D

:D Mike's right.

Roll the dice and enjoy the vacation. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy life.

You never said where you were going.

A lot of potential crime can just be averted by being aware of your surroundings. Stick to the touristy areas where cruise lines dump you off at and pick pockets and purse thieves are probably your biggest worry.

Guest readyornot

Sorry I forgot to give where we are going. 7 days leaving Miami, stop in San Juan, and St. Marteen, along with a day at Royal Carribean's private island in Labadee, Haiti. The other days are at sea. Lots of BlackJack, food, down time from the everyday drag, and hopefully a good bit of horizontal indoor activity!

Guest readyornot

Touche'. My wife is going with me so let's hope I'm not taking care of that by myself. Haven't been married this time around but 2 years so still honeymooning a little bit.

Guest flyfishtn

Oh, and if you're going to a locale that doesn't have an embargo against trade goods from Cuba, we need to discuss the finer points of the Cuban tobacco industry, as well as the finer points of purchasing cigars in foreign places.

Well, being a cigar smoker and knowing some of the laws, it is now illegal to even enjoy a Cuban outside the states. The good part is that they will likely never know. :usa: